Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #29
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Nope, noise is coming from the catch cans joints. You can hear the air rushing in with both cans i tried. Lines themselves are relatively quiet.

Not a silent operation.
Well yeah, you are going to hear the air in those little lines when the car is running...it's under pressure. But as far as the can itself, that is odd. My friend has the same catch can, and I've worked on his car while it was running and don't recall any noises coming from the can itself, but I also wasn't listening to it. Is it very obvious? What does the vendor say?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 AM   #30
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Mine is catching an insane amount of oil, so much so that Mishimoto asked me to bring my car in for a once over because they think the engine is burning oil or something... so, once I get the chance to bring it in, we will see...
Mine was basically full to the top when I emptied it before my first oil change...I had it on from roughly 1,500 miles or so. Going to check it more regularly from here on. I wish there was some kind of external way to check the fill level as my fat hands require taking the whole thing off to un-screw the bottom.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #31
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I checked mine again after 200 miles and it's half full of water again. I've had low temps around zero degrees again this week and that seems to condense the water from the vapor to a concerning degree. Works perfect in warmer temps with very little oil caught in a 4,000 mile interval (see post #22).

I took it off as I feel it presents more risk than reward. I'm now more interested in foam cleaning the top end at intervals and will investigate that.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #32
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Have you contacted Mishimoto to get their thoughts?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #33
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Have you contacted Mishimoto to get their thoughts?
I have not but will PM them about this link.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #34
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Hello everyone!

Thanks for calling me in to join the discussion over here. Water condensation building up in catch cans is perfectly normal.

As has already been mentioned, you'll find much more condensed water vapor with the colder ambient temperatures of the winter. For this reason, I'd recommend that you be particularly diligent about checking the can during the winter months. Water in the can is not a problem, but its volume takes away from available space for oil and blow-by to condense.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,
-Gardiner
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #35
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Hello everyone!

Thanks for calling me in to join the discussion over here. Water condensation building up in catch cans is perfectly normal.

As has already been mentioned, you'll find much more condensed water vapor with the colder ambient temperatures of the winter. For this reason, I'd recommend that you be particularly diligent about checking the can during the winter months. Water in the can is not a problem, but its volume takes away from available space for oil and blow-by to condense.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,
-Gardiner
I have always been concerned with how small this can is and now even more so since it filled with water rapidly. This is a serious risk during the winter month as is the 50 micron filter (.002") during the rest of the year.

Why fine filter the oil entering the can as opposed to stainless mesh media used in other designs? Will this 50 micron filter eventually plug under normal use? ...or freeze below 32º? Result being rapid contamination of the crankcase oil.

Mine is off and will stay off. I changed my 2,300 mile, Mobil 1 oil to ensure no contamination and the PCV is back to OEM.

Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 01-09-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #36
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Well I think I have the freezing part covered pretty well as I have operated mine in temperatures below -15* this winter with no issues. I know the can/baffle is not froze up since I check it often and it continues to catch additional fluid (and it never gets above freezing to thaw anything). You for sure want to check it every 500-1000 miles though as I find it around a 3rd full at those miles. All in all I'll leave it installed and keep it empty but that's just my .02.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #37
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
Well I think I have the freezing part covered pretty well as I have operated mine in temperatures below -15* this winter with no issues. I know the can/baffle is not froze up since I check it often and it continues to catch additional fluid (and it never gets above freezing to thaw anything). You for sure want to check it every 500-1000 miles though as I find it around a 3rd full at those miles. All in all I'll leave it installed and keep it empty but that's just my .02.
I didn't notice it half full until I had 2,100 miles on it. After I drained it, I checked again after 200 miles with temps between 0-6 degrees and it was half full again. I never saw it frozen but I was checking in my garage which never drops below 36 degrees. Unfortunately I didn't think to put the mix outside to see if it would freeze.

I drained that 2,300 mile oil and it was black and reeked of fuel. Rapid contamination tells me the PCV wasn't working properly. Thankfully it was Mobil 1 oil that just looked like it had a lot of miles on it.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #38
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Any news?

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #39
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I've got one on and have had similar results. There's a lot more information about this on the corvette forum. Manufacturers of other solutions seem to think that this design is only capable of catching a fraction of harmful deposits.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...di-owners.html
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #40
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It is easy for anyone to test any catchcan to determine just how effective it is at trapping the oil and other contaminates you do not want ingested in your intake air charge.

Simply install our E2 or E2-X can inline AFTER any other catchcan you may have that claims to be "the best". Start with both absolutely clean to not skew the results and drive for at least 1000 miles and rain both and measure what was caught. Now clean both and reverse the order with the E2 or E2-X first in line and you will be shocked to see how much most well known brands allow through the can to still be ingested where the E2 and E2-X Catch Cans will trap almost all period.

That simple. No claims, no shouting or arguing, just see for yourself firsthand. Your car is a big investment, and there are hundreds of different choices and of course all claim to be "the best". Stop wondering and find out once and for all.

Cheers!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #41
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
It is easy for anyone to test any catchcan to determine just how effective it is at trapping the oil and other contaminates you do not want ingested in your intake air charge.

Simply install our E2 or E2-X can inline AFTER any other catchcan you may have that claims to be "the best". Start with both absolutely clean to not skew the results and drive for at least 1000 miles and rain both and measure what was caught. Now clean both and reverse the order with the E2 or E2-X first in line and you will be shocked to see how much most well known brands allow through the can to still be ingested where the E2 and E2-X Catch Cans will trap almost all period.

That simple. No claims, no shouting or arguing, just see for yourself firsthand. Your car is a big investment, and there are hundreds of different choices and of course all claim to be "the best". Stop wondering and find out once and for all.

Cheers!!
I've asked twice, as have others...do you make a bolt in kit for the LT1? If so please link it up...
Old 02-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #42
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
If we find that there's no difference in what's caught, can we send it back for a full refund?
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote