Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #15
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
Just emptied mine out and it looked like this. This is the first time that it's looked like a clear amber color with some weird sludge at the bottom. Anyone else got this? Should I be concerned?
Attached Images

pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #16
1BlueSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
That "sludge" on the bottom of that can look an awful lot like when coolant and oil mix. The milkshake. I don't know about that amber color fluid...

I've checked mine twice since I put it on, ( only have 1,400 miles on the car ) and it's def working. Emptied a little bit out of it, less than an ounce each time.

1BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #17
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
You bet it is....

Just emptied mine after 10000 miles and 2 oil changes. Got about 3 ounces out of it. Dealer thought it was a good idea.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #18
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyscorpion951 View Post
Just emptied mine out and it looked like this. This is the first time that it's looked like a clear amber color with some weird sludge at the bottom. Anyone else got this? Should I be concerned?
Has your weather gotten considerably colder since you last emptied it? The catch can on my 2010 Camaro caught a great deal more condensation in the winter when temps would drop.

It looked like that and smelled like gas. Water is a normal by product of combustion, I'd say your can is just doing a really good job.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #19
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
Mine works great!

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #20
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyscorpion951 View Post
I just checked mine after 2,100 miles and it was half full of water with a little oil. I never ran a can in the winter before so I was surprised and shocked.

Temps have fluctuated between -5 and 40 degrees so it makes sense that the vapor is condensing. I'll check it more frequent until it warms up. Maybe every 750 miles.

I dumped the water into a bowl in order to examine it. The can was half full with this.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:54 AM   #21
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Keep in mind your catch can is catching blow by, not just oil. It will be oil and fuel combined. In all every motor will be different pending how it was broken in and how the seals settled. I have shared my fair share of videos cleaning out my can and in my engine it catches a lot of oil.

The images you show almost make me want to ask if your running E85? Regardless this time of year condensation will be seen and can be watering down things all while getting caught in the can. It's super important you make sure you catch can never gets too full. If you're seeing this in your can empty it and keep an eye on it.

TLDR;
It's condensation mixed with your blow-by (oil and fuel).
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #22
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Keep in mind your catch can is catching blow by, not just oil. It will be oil and fuel combined. In all every motor will be different pending how it was broken in and how the seals settled. I have shared my fair share of videos cleaning out my can and in my engine it catches a lot of oil.

The images you show almost make me want to ask if your running E85? Regardless this time of year condensation will be seen and can be watering down things all while getting caught in the can. It's super important you make sure you catch can never gets too full. If you're seeing this in your can empty it and keep an eye on it.

TLDR;
It's condensation mixed with your blow-by (oil and fuel).
The mixture shown above has a slight fuel smell to it but will not ignite when a match is held to it. It's mostly water. This is what my first empty looked like at 1,400 miles. Subsequent empties looked identical until this one.

I've always been concerned by how small this can is and planned to check it every 2k miles. During the cold climates winter, that is too long
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 01-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #23
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Curious of those with catch cans....

Are they installed into the system before or after the OEM catch cans? As in, does the aftermarket catch can do the work before or after the factory ones?
Megahurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #24
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Curious of those with catch cans....

Are they installed into the system before or after the OEM catch cans? As in, does the aftermarket catch can do the work before or after the factory ones?
GM put one on the clean side and drains itself. The one owners are adding is on the dirty side (PCV). Check out this post for a better description.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=44

Ronald Reagan -
Old 01-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Well... today my heads came off and we looked at the valves. All looks normal for a car with just over 10k miles on it. But one thing we noticed when hooked up for its base pull was my fuel trims were at 22 at idle. We saw a lot of build up on the pistons, but not 100% sure where it is all coming from currently.

I was told to stop driving like a grandma (which I don't think I do) or it will resolve itself with the tune and the fuel trims will go back to normal.

Now this picture was the bottom side of the valves, but they are pulling them out and I will snap some pics of what they look like.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #26
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
The issue i have with my can is that it performs rather "loud".. I've gone through 2 cans and it works, but, you can hear the air whistling through the can. It's clearly not the can now since both have given me the same issue. We think my engine might be running more rich if thats possible.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #27
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
The issue i have with my can is that it performs rather "loud".. I've gone through 2 cans and it works, but, you can hear the air whistling through the can. It's clearly not the can now since both have given me the same issue. We think my engine might be running more rich if thats possible.
Humm, that's the first I've heard of this. If you remove the whole catch can setup the noise goes away? You are sure there isn't a pin hole in one of the lines?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #28
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Humm, that's the first I've heard of this. If you remove the whole catch can setup the noise goes away? You are sure there isn't a pin hole in one of the lines?
Nope, noise is coming from the catch cans joints. You can hear the air rushing in with both cans i tried. Lines themselves are relatively quiet.

Not a silent operation.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote