'super LT4' with a bigger blower or turbos making 700+ 31 9.66%
Other (please specify) 10 3.12%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #267
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Thats more of an argument for the supercar to be a Caddy than a Corvette than against. Cadillac wants to be known for performance ... and generally speaking, they aren't. How do you change that perception? By going all out with something that can rival a Lamborghini or Ferrari.
I feel like Cadillac has put themselves in a strange position. They are certainly making some world class cars right now. The development of Cadillac in the last decade has been fun to watch. The V series of Cadillacs are amazing performance vehicles across the board.

Part of their problem started when they hiked MSRP closer to their competitors with the thought of changing the perception of those buyers. Which failed, even though the reviews of their cars put them right at, if not above those guys. Public perception is so difficult to overcome, especially amongst the brand loyal.

There is one thing those German competitors hold over Cadillacs head...true racing heritage. So Cadillac has a choice, lower it's prices and resume life as the "bargain luxury car", or up it's game and roll the dice in the racing world. If, and it's a big if, they can experience the same dominance in racing that Team Corvette has experienced, public perception may be greatly swayed in their favor. If this happens, then the idea of a Cadillac supercar makes sense, kind of.

A mid engine Corvette is a tricky thing. Yes, it had been brought up with every generation. There is always someone screaming for a Corvette supercar. Okay, but if you're the guy pulling triggers at GM, do you really want to mess with a platform that has been consistently successful for over 60 years?

So back to the Z/28. What will probably happen is some variant of this engine. N/A producing somewhere in the range of 550-600 HP in a ZL1 chassis with DSSV, e-diff, 10spd auto or 6spd manual, reduced weight, no frills track monster, priced at just under the Z06...that everyone will love to watch on YouTube, everyone will love to talk about...but no one will actually buy it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #268
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I feel like Cadillac has put themselves in a strange position. They are certainly making some world class cars right now. The development of Cadillac in the last decade has been fun to watch. The V series of Cadillacs are amazing performance vehicles across the board.

Part of their problem started when they hiked MSRP closer to their competitors with the thought of changing the perception of those buyers. Which failed, even though the reviews of their cars put them right at, if not above those guys. Public perception is so difficult to overcome, especially amongst the brand loyal.

There is one thing those German competitors hold over Cadillacs head...true racing heritage. So Cadillac has a choice, lower it's prices and resume life as the "bargain luxury car", or up it's game and roll the dice in the racing world. If, and it's a big if, they can experience the same dominance in racing that Team Corvette has experienced, public perception may be greatly swayed in their favor. If this happens, then the idea of a Cadillac supercar makes sense, kind of.

A mid engine Corvette is a tricky thing. Yes, it had been brought up with every generation. There is always someone screaming for a Corvette supercar. Okay, but if you're the guy pulling triggers at GM, do you really want to mess with a platform that has been consistently successful for over 60 years?
I don't think the price hike has been that big of a failure for them. Their average transaction price has been higher than BMW or Mercedes for quite a while. Sales are lagging ... but get a couple more crossovers in the lineup and they'll go up by a few thousand a month.

Pretty much agree with the rest.

Quote:
So back to the Z/28. What will probably happen is some variant of this engine. N/A producing somewhere in the range of 550-600 HP in a ZL1 chassis with DSSV, e-diff, 10spd auto or 6spd manual, reduced weight, no frills track monster, priced at just under the Z06...that everyone will love to watch on YouTube, everyone will love to talk about...but no one will actually buy it.
Sounds about right. Forgot one detail though: it will get a lot of people to tick the 1LE option box when ordering their SS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #269
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
There's no reason GM can't build a Z/28 that's around the same price as the GT350R. If Ford can get the Voodoo and carbon wheels at $64k, then GM should be able to get a hopped up LT1 and DSSVs for the same price.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #270
NemesisC5

Drives: 1999 Corvette C5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Looking at a race car for any clues about production models...
What wins on Sunday sells on Monday
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #271
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There's no reason GM can't build a Z/28 that's around the same price as the GT350R. If Ford can get the Voodoo and carbon wheels at $64k, then GM should be able to get a hopped up LT1 and DSSVs for the same price.
exactly you get it
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #272
BustedCrank

Drives: Broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
There is one thing those German competitors hold over Cadillacs head...true racing heritage. ...
I agree with what you are saying, but I'd bet 95% of the people buying those German competitors are clueless to any of that true racing heritage.
BustedCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #273
BustedCrank

Drives: Broken
Quote:
For less then $64k!
BustedCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #274
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Yeah I agree. I'm thinking GM will price the next Z28 mid to high $50's to compete with the GT350. Then some options will get it to low to mid $60's. Just my 2 cents.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:05 AM   #275
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
I don't think the price hike has been that big of a failure for them. Their average transaction price has been higher than BMW or Mercedes for quite a while. Sales are lagging ... but get a couple more crossovers in the lineup and they'll go up by a few thousand a month.

Pretty much agree with the rest.

Sounds about right. Forgot one detail though: it will get a lot of people to tick the 1LE option box when ordering their SS.
You're probably right about Cadillac, you certainly have more exposure and experience with this kind of stuff than I do. Basically I'm just saying that perception being what it is, even if the Cadillac is perceived as 'just as good as the "real thing", which it is, the Euro car buyer is still going to get their idea of the 'real thing'. Cadillac is still fighting to establish credibility in this arena. The performance is there, the design is there, the quality is there, heritage is holding them back. They need something that can make potential cross shoppers give them a closer look.

The Z/28, conceptually, for the 5th Gen, was a good halo car. I'm sure it did sell some 5th Gen SS and 1LE's toward the end of the run. However, in creating that car, they were using an engine that they no longer had a car for, and the Z/28 served that purpose. I don't know, maybe you can answer this better than I, but it would seem that when the switch was made to the C7 Corvette, that there might have been some contracts, quotas, or surplus parts that associated with the LS7.

Move to today, if we're talking about a brand new engine, I would think that moving more cars would have a higher priority due to the increased cost associated with it. The LS7 was probably a lot cheaper for them to build by the time the Z/28 came around. But the LT5 or whatever they call it is still going to have the R&D and tooling overhead on it. That's what makes me think that they will want it to be less "halo" and more 'marketable' this go round.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #276
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Yeah I agree. I'm thinking GM will price the next Z28 mid to high $50's to compete with the GT350. Then some options will get it to low to mid $60's. Just my 2 cents.
I think mid 60s is the best range. The GT350 is already handled by the 1LE. The Z/28, without carbon rotors, should be fine in the mid 60s. Have an optional carbon package with carbon rotors and carbon aero pieces if people want that.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #277

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Well, looks like this ZL-1 1LE is what everyone thought was a new Z/28....

I'd say those of us who guessed an LT4 in the "Z/28" would be the winners of the "guess" competition...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #278
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Well, looks like this ZL-1 1LE is what everyone thought was a new Z/28....

I'd say those of us who guessed an LT4 in the "Z/28" would be the winners of the "guess" competition...lol...
Since a Z/28 is still possible, I say the guessing game can continue.

I might need to edit the original post though, to reflect the fact that we now know what the thing with the wing is.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:40 PM   #279
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Maybe rename the section.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #280
Bhobbs

Quote:
Since a Z/28 is still possible, I say the guessing game can continue.

I might need to edit the original post though, to reflect the fact that we now know what the thing with the wing is.
I give the 6th gen a 0% chance of a Z/28. The ZL1 1LE is what the Z/28 would have been, with a different engine.

Team Corvette dictated a supercharged engine and team Camaro has to deal with it.

Would have been awesome to see what this car would have been as a Z/28.