Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
Switch Blade Key still useable?

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

You can still order these, can they still be programmed?
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:26 AM   #2
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt O View Post
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

You can still order these, can they still be programmed?
Yep, just get the blade cut. Programming is easy, just start the car with your good key, then immediately start it again with your new key. That programms the key to the car and also all the remote functions.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #3
MSgt O

Thanks!! Knew you'd know...
Old 08-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #4
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
You know its kinda funny, just thinking of keys... Every single Chevrolet dealer in my area constantly sends me letters in the mail about the recall keys... I didn't know enough about the recall to know it was a bad idea. I brought my keys to one of the dealers to be recalled. They took one look at my key fobs, handed them back to me and said "Don't do it!". They said you have to hold the fob against the key to get it to start, and everyone who has eve done it complained and wanted their old keys back. He said unless your key fobs are totally falling apart, we won't even do the recall. He did also say, that if you key fobs are totally thrashed, the recall was a good way of getting replacement fobs for free and that is about it... Happy to have both my key fobs in mint condition still. #blessed

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:56 AM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Both of my key fobs were worn out after 13 years. I went to the Chevy dealer, on line, hardware store, etc. Each are long stories but no help. Then I went to the Battery And Bulbs store only 2 miles from me. Not only did they have two SS fobs in stock, they also programmed both for me for about $125.00 in less than an hour. They are a franchise store but I don't know how many locations they have but they were great.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:19 PM   #6
MSgt O

Thanks all! I have one key...need another for just in case and found this online..and yeah my recall wasnt done either.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Those recall notices are annoying. I get them 1-2 times a month, and they go in the trash every time.

The dealers aren’t getting my switch blades.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #8
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
I see a lot of talk about keys, the recall and how this stuff works. Without going into to much detail, let me explain to you guys how the system operates.

First off, your car has 2 separate systems that work from the same key fob.

You have the immobilizer system that prevents a unauthorized key from starting the vehicle, and you also have remote functions such as door locks, trunk release, remote start, and panic horn button.

The immobilizer works this way.....when you insert the key and turn to run, the exciter ring in the lock cylinder activates the transponder in the key fob to transmit a code. If the code matches a stored code then engine operation is allowed. The transponder in the fob needs to be about a half inch from the exciter ring for it to communicate and it doesn't require battery power from the fob to function.

Your remote functions work like this.....your fob emits a radio frequency depending on what button is pressed and it's received by the remote control door lock receiver. The rcdlr then communicates with the bcm and whatever command is asked for is carried out. The battery does need to be good for this to operate.

When the recall is performed, the key blade in the fob is removed and a separate key with transponder is learned and takes the place of the fob. Although the fob is still learned to the car, it doesn't need to be anywhere near the ignition switch or even in the car for the car to start with the new key.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:17 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
I see a lot of talk about keys, the recall and how this stuff works. Without going into to much detail, let me explain to you guys how the system operates.

You have the immobilizer system that prevents a unauthorized key from starting the vehicle, and you also have remote functions such as door locks, trunk release, remote start, and panic horn button.

The immobilizer works this way.....when you insert the key and turn to run, the exciter ring in the lock cylinder activates the transponder in the key fob to transmit a code. If the code matches a stored code then engine operation is allowed. The transponder in the fob needs to be about a half inch from the exciter ring for it to communicate and it doesn't require battery power from the fob to function.

Your remote functions work like this.....your fob emits a radio frequency depending on what button is pressed and it's received by the remote control door lock receiver. The rcdlr then communicates with the bcm and whatever command is asked for is carried out. The battery does need to be good for this to operate.

When the recall is performed, the key blade in the fob is removed and a separate key with transponder is learned and takes the place of the fob. Although the fob is still learned to the car, it doesn't need to be anywhere near the ignition switch or even in the car for the car to start with the new key.

Very well explained sir, as always!! I had mine done about I don't know, maybe 7/8 years ago?? I just need 2 new fobs as mine have been used so much they are falling apart! All the rubber is trashed and the buttons fell out. I put them back in place and wrapped the fobs with electrical tape to hold them in. lol. Just not sure where I shoud buy them from.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:24 PM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Very well explained sir, as always!! I had mine done about I don't know, maybe 7/8 years ago?? I just need 2 new fobs as mine have been used so much they are falling apart! All the rubber is trashed and the buttons fell out. I put them back in place and wrapped the fobs with electrical tape to hold them in. lol. Just not sure where I shoud buy them from.
I bought new genuine GM fobs from Amazon a couple years ago for my old car. The pair was like $45 shipped. This was pre Covid though so the prices have likely quadrupled like everything else
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:48 PM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I bought new genuine GM fobs from Amazon a couple years ago for my old car. The pair was like $45 shipped. This was pre Covid though so the prices have likely quadrupled like everything else
Yea, one of my friends bought 2 also from Amazon for his Camaro. Guess I will touch base with him. Thanks..
Old 08-24-2022, 05:10 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
I ordered 2 from Ebay for $10 apiece. Opened them up, switched out the internals, used a small punch to remove the roll pin holding the blade in place to swap out the blades and in an hour had 2 brand new, working fobs.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #13
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I ordered 2 from Ebay for $10 apiece. Opened them up, switched out the internals, used a small punch to remove the roll pin holding the blade in place to swap out the blades and in an hour had 2 brand new, working fobs.
Do you remember the seller on EBay?
I noticed mine are looking a bit bleak.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:21 PM   #14
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post

Thank you. My 2013 has the switch blade style but my 2015 came with two of the "regular" keys with fobs. Both work fine. I've had zero issues with either and I guess, don't understand why it is an issue.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote