The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #43
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If you have time, check out some of the videos of Randy Pabst driving a C7 Z06. Then look at the ZL1 video. He is clearly working MUCH harder to drive the C7. Even he admits that the Camaro is way easier to drive at the edge.

I hope the C8 drives better than the C7. I have not driven a C8. And have no current plans to do so.
And then there is Jeremy Clarkson driving a ZR1.

Quote:
The trouble is, if you go beyond the limit, it becomes almost unbelievably difficult to control.
C7 having a higher limit but more difficult to control at the edge compared to 6th Gen Camaro is also something I have heard about, but haven't verified myself. Too bad my C7 Z51 died way before I could take it to a track, but I also wouldn't be in a 6th Gen Camaro if it's still alive. Maybe when I get a chance in the future, I could talk to a C7 GS guy I know and we can swap cars.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #44
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
cool! Rare to find one available for a test drive so nicely done there!

I haven't even driven a C7 yet, but I owned two C6's - both Z51 cars, plus a C5Z06 and the Camaro SS rides and drives better than any of those for example. Surely gives up some grip at the limit, but I find the steering feel is even better which is something considering it's EPS vs. the older vettes are traditional steering. I was never that impressed with C5 or C6 steering feel - it's overboosted to my liking and rather vague compared to other sports cars like 911, Cayman, BMW M coupe / roadster etc. But I was very impressed with the Camaro SS in this regard, even after owning a 911 and all the Corvettes and several BMW's. The best steering feel in a Corvette in addition to best driver seating position and shift quality not to mention brake feel etc. was the C4. But it's got a pretty wobbly chassis compared to C6/7 or Alpha.
The SS shines in brake feel and performance as well - at least in spirited street driving - for track work probably the 1LE and Z51 C8 would be the way to go.

I'd like to drive one at some point so I have my own perspective on the C8 - at this point I am unsure if one will show up in my garage. Maybe at some point.
I was lucky to have a friend that has one, I too have owned GS and Z06 C6, C5 Z06 and now a C7 Z06 with my Camaro. My ZLE doesn't even compare to the C6 or C5 cars it blows them away. The C7 to me feels a little faster but I have a hard time keeping that car planted on the road so I still prefer the ZLE even over that car too. The C8 while I didn't have a whole lot of time just felt easier to handle and just as fast. Just my 2 cents.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #45
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
Unfortunately, politics is the exact reason that you will be able to get a deal in one year. I had to mention politics to give context. If I just made a prediction a year from now you’ll be able to get a deal on these cars. People like you would say why? , why ?
I’m telling you why now in writing.

The auto industry in 2020 was completely unpredictable - if you asked dealers/salesmen in the March/April timeframe, they would have told you that it would have been the worst year on record. What did happen? Huge volume of sales and inventory shortages (partially due to supply constraints, but also on the demand side).

I'm not sure what crystal ball you are looking into but if you have good intel, you should look into shorting whatever part of the stock market whose companies you think will dive in the next 12 months.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #46
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
I was lucky to have a friend that has one, I too have owned GS and Z06 C6, C5 Z06 and now a C7 Z06 with my Camaro. My ZLE doesn't even compare to the C6 or C5 cars it blows them away. The C7 to me feels a little faster but I have a hard time keeping that car planted on the road so I still prefer the ZLE even over that car too. The C8 while I didn't have a whole lot of time just felt easier to handle and just as fast. Just my 2 cents.
Well - I am sure that is true - the engine sits over the rear tires, the rear tires are massive, the front tires are small. 245 front tires and 295 or 305 rear tires on the base model. Something like that - I saw one the other day at a cars N coffee event. I had a buddy with a NSX that I was able to drive on a back-road - the mid-engine format is so much more planted and able to handle power - not that the NSX had any of that - but driving it you could really tell how stable it was like it was an AWD car but with perfect perfect perfect steering feel. Z06-C7 seems to really overpower the chassis, where the Camaro can handle the LT4 just fine at the expense of a few hundy lbs.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #47
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Which is why Randy bought one with his own money, a 1LE that is - not a C7.
And isn't it the Turbo 4?
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #48
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
And isn't it the Turbo 4?
Yes, you are correct. He bought a turbo 4 with the 1LE package.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #49
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
And then there is Jeremy Clarkson driving a ZR1.

C7 having a higher limit but more difficult to control at the edge compared to 6th Gen Camaro is also something I have heard about, but haven't verified myself. Too bad my C7 Z51 died way before I could take it to a track, but I also wouldn't be in a 6th Gen Camaro if it's still alive. Maybe when I get a chance in the future, I could talk to a C7 GS guy I know and we can swap cars.
The C7 is very difficult to drive at 10/10. Mark Reuss proved that....

The early reports are that the C8 is a little "numb" on the track.

We are spoiled with the Camaro6....it simply has one of the BEST RWD chassis out there. I constantly amaze myself driving my SS....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #50
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Well - I am sure that is true - the engine sits over the rear tires, the rear tires are massive, the front tires are small. 245 front tires and 295 or 305 rear tires on the base model. Something like that - I saw one the other day at a cars N coffee event. I had a buddy with a NSX that I was able to drive on a back-road - the mid-engine format is so much more planted and able to handle power - not that the NSX had any of that - but driving it you could really tell how stable it was like it was an AWD car but with perfect perfect perfect steering feel. Z06-C7 seems to really overpower the chassis, where the Camaro can handle the LT4 just fine at the expense of a few hundy lbs.
Agreed! I have always like the NSX. Good looking cars.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #51
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
The C8 Corvette mania will die in about a year.
I agree. C8 does seem like a good Naples car though.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:11 AM   #52
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I agree. C8 does seem like a good Naples car though.

I live in Punta Gorda and saw my second one in the area today. Well it was at Englewood Beach when I was out to dinner. White C8. Guy looked around 60, white collar type, retired and had MI plates so a snowbird.

Why is it you rarely see young people driving them? I mean under 60. I know price is a large factor in it, but still. You'd think guys in their 40s with good jobs would buy one.

I personally would rather have a late model C7. I like the design better. Except I get different wheels on it due to the defective problems some of them had (see lawsuit.)

The C8 looks too much like a Ferrari and not a Corvette. I'd rather have a 2019 Z06
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:13 AM   #53
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
The C8 got hit by 3 things, (warranted) hype, GM screwing over factory workers making them go on strike, and Covid, their backlog is huge and they have a lot of people willing to pay over MSRP to get a C8, remember they start breaking even at around $80k and the dealers are pocketing a lot of money, mix this with Covid dragging down a lot of people and it's no surprise the average C8 buyer earns on average $70k more than the previous gen, it will take a while for things to normalize.

Come F me yourself you coward.

Except the few people I've seen driving them look retirement age. If they had high paying jobs they're not getting that salary anymore. I suspect a lot of them buy them as a gift to themselves, a play toy when they retire. Many probably put a big chunk down payment on them or even paid in whole.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #54
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I live in Punta Gorda and saw my second one in the area today. Well it was at Englewood Beach when I was out to dinner. White C8. Guy looked around 60, white collar type, retired and had MI plates so a snowbird.

Why is it you rarely see young people driving them? I mean under 60. I know price is a large factor in it, but still. You'd think guys in their 40s with good jobs would buy one.

I personally would rather have a late model C7. I like the design better. Except I get different wheels on it due to the defective problems some of them had (see lawsuit.)

The C8 looks too much like a Ferrari and not a Corvette. I'd rather have a 2019 Z06

We do, i bought one in my 20s and traded it in for a stroller. When you are trying to retire, raise a family, put kids through school, etc... it is tough to justify that much money for a 3rd vehicle.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #55
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Still too many problems with all the new tech and valve spring issues. Also too many issues with production, allocation, logistics.

Wait at least another year, probably 2-3, before you can actually order a new C8 and get what you want, for a reasonable price, that will be built correctly to your specs and delivered within a couple months, and be reliable.

Right now it's way too much of a risk and headache with everything going on. Even if covid didn't happen, GM started with a brand new complete architecture for this car from scratch. That in and of itself poses 1st and 2nd year risks.

The only reason to buy one now is if you intend on never driving it, only polishing it.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #56
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Man this is fun....

I started this thread to let everyone know I like the C8...saw one drive by and started drooling.....

We got your basic C8 lovers, C8 haters, we got people people who claim the September 2019 strike affected production rollout (it did not, the rollout wasn't until May 2020 and that was due to tooling changes on the body/suspension).

There is NO doubt that Covid 19 slowed down ALL car production in the US....

One of my neighbors in my condo complex has ordered a C8 and will get it in August.

CARRY ON...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote