The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-05-2024, 06:26 PM   #15
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I would love an EV if I had solar panels at home and needed a car to just drive around town. Unfortunately EV's are useless to me.

Everything I need a car for EV's do terribly. First one is towing, and second one is as a track car (not drag strip).
Early impression is this one does neither of those well, although ride and handling are both really good in the ID4.

Now he Taycan just lapped the ring in 7:07 which is super car territory.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:01 PM   #16
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

In the most clear terms possible…….Jimmie votes no.

https://fb.watch/porhYzQvK6/?
Old 01-06-2024, 05:39 AM   #17
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I would totally rock an EV if they came with a 3 speed on the column.
Manual of course

I can have enough problems with a conventional 12v system with one battery

I wonder if CAA/AAA do a roadside charge?

They will bring you 5 gallons of gas if you run out

(my tanks never get below 1/2 except at the dragstrip where I like 1/4 full)
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:42 AM   #18
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I would love an EV if I had solar panels at home and needed a car to just drive around town. Unfortunately EV's are useless to me.

Everything I need a car for EV's do terribly. First one is towing, and second one is as a track car (not drag strip).
You know they always talk about how Tesla this Lucid that is so fast in the 1/4.

The thing is it can usually only do one hero run while my Camaro likes to run 2 or 3 hot laps.

BTW OP congrats on your up coming retirement
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:36 AM   #19
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
When I looked into the Model 3 my insurance was going to double. Show stopper for me.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 08:20 AM   #20

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Retiring....Again?...WTH?...lol

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=65

"To be clear, and I’ve stated it clearly, I am no longer with GM and have not been there for 12 years."

Oh please....tell us more....(about yourself, of course, not the evaluation of a VW).
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:57 PM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Retiring....Again?...WTH?...lol

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=65

"To be clear, and I’ve stated it clearly, I am no longer with GM and have not been there for 12 years."

Oh please....tell us more....(about yourself, of course, not the evaluation of a VW).
Yeah my replacement isn’t quite wrapped up with his old job so I linger to make it easier for everyone. Hopefully January is it, vacation in February and then done. Hopefully. Eventually it may come down to how long will you keep depositing money into my checking account, lol.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:05 PM   #22
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

First public charge today. As mentioned VW pays for Electrify America for 3 years so it’s free……to a point. But at a cost of $12.98, it worked out to the equivalent of 22 mpg so home charging is the way to go. VW covering EA would be great but right now it’s 40 miles to their nearest charger. Closest one is almost done with installation but that will still be 8 miles. Level 2 home charger arrived today so we will see how that goes.

It’s a fun car to drive and instant torque makes a 295 hp car feel faster than it is. Not intending to review the VW but a solid car that does good things. For your daily,it works just fine. Charging is the wild card.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:38 AM   #23
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoq007 View Post
As someone who has an EV and works in the industry... they really are the BEST daily if you can charge at home. Getting a home charger and being able to fill up over night is not only incredible cost efficient, but makes the ownership experience incredible.

For most people who are new to EV's i do not recommend the switch unless you can charge at home or at the office. Public charging is getting better, but sometimes can be very inconvenient.
Amen!!!
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:48 AM   #24
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
You know they always talk about how Tesla this Lucid that is so fast in the 1/4.

The thing is it can usually only do one hero run while my Camaro likes to run 2 or 3 hot laps.

BTW OP congrats on your up coming retirement
This is a myth. One that is easily disproven. All you have to do is go to YouTube and search “Plaid vs” and you’ll get reel after reel of Teslas running multiple quarter mile and half mile races against [insert favorite supercar here] and beating pretty much every one of them. They also lose some of the roll races. Where they are most challenged is in braking. In most of these head to head comparisons, Tesla has longer stopping distances than whatever supercar they are competing against. Sometimes the brakes come close to overheating. But the ability to run pass after pass is very much evident. Here’s a YouTube of a Plaid making multiple runs against a Demon 170. TLDV - Plaid 3 Demon 0 with the Plaid running 9.49, 9.39, and 9.39. Had to stop after the third race to allow one of the cars to cool down. https://youtu.be/EEU1nmvb3pA?si=xuPllfukrcZAQGrB

https://youtu.be/voL7h5UuEag?si=flVFQ3A58l4F6ZDr

I’ve personally witnessed Tesla Model 3 and Model Y running multiple passes at Milan Dragway on Test & Tune days. The amount of wait time between runs makes it a no-brainer for them. Plenty of cool down time (and you don’t even have to open the hood for cool down ) But in all the supercar head to heads it’s just pass after pass and the Teslas handle it with no problem.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 01-07-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:25 AM   #25
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
What 102SS is true with respect to track driving. The Plaid can't repeatedly lap a racetrack at anywhere close to full speed.

And with respect to 1/4 mile, it appears that Teslas lose a significant amount of acceleration as the battery discharges - more than a Lucid, and the new Cybertruck stands out as having improved a lot in this dimension. That said, the Plaid still has enough oomph to soundly beat most ICE cars. If I recall correctly, the guy Brooks on the DragTimes YouTube channel tries to have Teslas fully charged when he tests them at the strip.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:22 PM   #26
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Found a charging location today that was the equivalent to 32 mpg in an ICE. Also found out that a 50 amp,outlet to charge will cost me $295 and I already bought the charger for $200. Charging at home is, or will be, the deal.

The issue is simply convenience of charging and cost of the vehicle. This ID4 is $52,000. Even with the $7,500 government handout it’s $45,000. It’s got a lot of features, but at that point it’s still $10k over a very well equipped Equinox. Worth it? Not sure yet. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:18 PM   #27
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
#3, could you come up with a subjective price rating for the (in)convenience of charging versus fill-ups? Also, how is it in bad weather as a daily driver? you picked a good time of year.

For my fill-ups, half the time it's also a stop for a drink or meal. I consider it either low-importance time, or time I can easily make back up on the road. Maybe worth a few bucks a week, say $3. I couldn't say for plugging in daily.

I recently saw a stuck Tesla (3 or Y, flashers on) off an on-ramp in icy slush. There were also other people having trouble moving in 'sporty' gas vehicles. When I shopped a Volt 10 years ago, I thought it looked low, even with the higher clearance air dam.

Last edited by genxer; 01-10-2024 at 12:30 PM.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:45 PM   #28
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
#3, could you come up with a subjective price rating for the (in)convenience of charging versus fill-ups? Also, how is it in bad weather as a daily driver? you picked a good time of year.

For my fill-ups, half the time it's also a stop for a drink or meal. I consider it either low-importance time, or time I can easily make back up on the road. Maybe worth a few bucks a week, say $3. I couldn't say for plugging in daily.

I recently saw a stuck Tesla (3 or Y, flashers on) off an on-ramp in icy slush. There were also other people having trouble moving in 'sporty' gas vehicles. When I shopped a Volt 10 years ago, I thought it looked low, even with the higher clearance air dam.
I’m in Florida so sketchy roads aren5van issue. It’s AWD so rain has not been an issue so far.

I just had my electrical at home upgraded to 50 amps and charging at home is pretty easy and straight forward. And other than vehicle cost an EV is seeming to be a great choice. Ride and handling are really solid for a tall wagon and yes, it’s fun to drive.

Charging at EA and Charge Point was 80 miles in about 30 minutes and that is NOT the fastest charging. So both places I’ve done public charging were surrounded by restaurants and a Walmart. Only issue is if your charging ends you get charged for dwell time or blocking the spot from someone else charging. But at a 62 Kw charger you can add approximately 150 miles of range. Issue is how many in your area and how far. My closest charger is 7 miles away. But could have easily grabbed a lunch or coffee at the public chargers. But the early impression is home charging is the deal maker right now.