The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-01-2023, 02:14 PM   #15
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
All I see is a (rolling coffin of death) electric appliance. But like usual and not surprising to see is the fact that some are completely blind, ignorant or stupid (maybe all 3 combined) to even mention the numerous potential extreme danger to the occupant's in real life seen in that staged crash test alone. But those of us with some common sense should not question things like that. Funny how the same people trying to pursade others to join the ev bandwagon think they're all great and impressive as long as it's a ev. Seems a person could take a trash dumpster and put a electric motor in it and it would be the best thing since sliced bread according to a few on here. Not impressed in the least bit with any of them... 👎🤣👎😂
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:48 PM   #16
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
I am probably one of three people that think it looks cool, I generally like the more angular looks on cars, better then most EVs that just look like a regular ICE car, part of the selling points for them for me was that you don't have the design limitations for fuel economy or because you have a big engine in front, but all manufacturers took at that as "give it more LED light strips" so cool to see something different.

Functionally though I'm still not sold on the reliability, as nothing lasts forever and most important part of something being reliable is how easily you can repair it, unfortunately Tesla is not the biggest proponent of right to repair. Although most of it probably won't matter, I'm guessing it'll end up like the new bronco or the rivians, used as a regular road car that maybe will see some gravel sometimes, at best it ends up as kitted out mall crawler like the bronco when it came out. But that's just my opinion I'm clearly not the target demographic for these.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:51 PM   #17
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I think its ugly as sin, but the engineering and tech is amazing its way ahead of its time, I do have to appreciate that.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:00 PM   #18

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think all these EV trucks are out over their skis when it comes to hauling, towing and range. (Big-Rig EVs do a good job of hauling potato chips, but that's about it.)Any range anxiety, and real-world range is compounded with EV "trucking", far worse than the usual disappointing range performance of the EVs we have seen so far. They just don't really want you to know how bad the range gets, so don't bother trying to find out.

This Cyber-Truck strikes me as more of a novelty toy than anything really useful or practical. Congrats to Musk for building it, though. The vehicle weight of these and all EVs being twice or more than similar ICE vehicles will become a huge costly infrastructure road maintenance and construction issue.

If EVs didn't have the blindly perceived save-the-planet platitudes to go with them, likely they would be banned, like the Corvair...lol

But the harangue of 2+2=5 continues to proliferate, so carry on...

I found some Cyber-Truck apparel that goes with the future theme of the truck...

Name:  gort-klaatu-2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  29.9 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:47 PM   #19
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I watched the Tesla Cybertruck delivery event. Elon Musk delivered the first 10 Cybertrucks to customers at this event. Nothing about the Cybertruck appeals to me, but it is a very important vehicle, especially when you look at it's capabilities. Tows more than an F350. Faster than most supercars. This video, shown just before the deliveries were made, is quite compelling.

https://youtu.be/k-8HRFetY_Q?si=4wBaiLxA2Yg54gkZ
More than 32000 lbs?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 07:14 PM   #20
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
More than 32000 lbs?
The test they did was to tow a 40,000 pound sled to see how far four different trucks could tow it in the same amount of time. The trucks were Cybertruck, F350, Rivian R1T, and F150 Lightning. And that’s the order they finished in.

Here’s the clip of the event. https://youtu.be/0QCe7ktx1o8?si=tL92Yf6bd780KSOJ

As I look at it again, it looks like maybe the effective weight being pulled is not always the full 40,000, but might be varied by the block on the rig moving forward to generate more downward force (weight) until the truck can’t pull it anymore. So this could be a situation where the CT gets out further faster (and thus with a lighter load) before the weight gets to the point where it can’t pull anymore. If that’s true, the actual terminal weight is an unknown and could be more or less than the F350.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:27 PM   #21
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
The test they did was to tow a 40,000 pound sled to see how far four different trucks could tow it in the same amount of time. The trucks were Cybertruck, F350, Rivian R1T, and F150 Lightning. And that’s the order they finished in.

As I look at it again, it looks like maybe the effective weight being pulled is not always the full 40,000, but might be varied by the block on the rig moving forward to generate more downward force (weight) until the truck can’t pull it anymore. So this could be a situation where the CT gets out further faster (and thus with a lighter load) before the weight gets to the point where it can’t pull anymore. If that’s true, the actual terminal weight is an unknown and could be more or less than the F350.

Ahhh, ok. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it has the power to move weight but rated to 11K or is it 14K. And I know where you are going with this, but there is a lot more in towing than just raw power.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #22
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Ahhh, ok. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it has the power to move weight but rated to 11K or is it 14K. And I know where you are going with this, but there is a lot more in towing than just raw power.
That’s why I edited to write what I wrote after the photo (now in bold). In the video you can see that there is a mechanism on the sled that moves forward as the sled moves forward. That has the effect (I think) of moving the blade downward and increasing the braking force. So if I’m reading this right, and if the mechanism moves at the same rate of speed no matter how fast it is being pulled, then there is a natural advantage for the Tesla because it launches so fast. Meaning it can travel farther faster with effectively a lighter load. Thing is, the same should have been true for the Rivian and Lightning, but both finished behind the F350.

***EDIT***
I managed to find this explanation of how the sled works. Similar to what I thought, but it does seem that the weighted mechanism is at the same position based on position on the track. So either way, we’d need an engineer to calculate exactly how much effective weight any of the trucks actually pulled. And the article also brings in the variable of traction. This particular stunt may be more about the combination of traction as well as towing capability. This is from Motor Trend…

How Does A Pulling Sled Work?
One of the more confusing parts of sled pulling is just how the sled itself works. These specially designed vehicles feature a moveable weight box and a large steel pan that drags along the ground. The weight box, which can hold varying amounts of steel ballast, travels from the rear of the sled gradually toward the front. In doing so an increasing amount of pressure is put on the steel pan, which translates into resistance for the vehicle doing the pulling. The weight box's movement is controlled by movement of the sled's drive axle and completes its movement about halfway through the course. With the both the amount of weight in the box and the speed of its movement set by the operator they can easily get any truck to about the 300-foot mark.
This is worth mentioning, because the Cybertruck running a "full pull" is not entirely impressive on its own without more context. What is impressive, however, it the margin with which it beat this competitive set of trucks. Watching the video in slow motion we can see that the ballast in the sled's weight box remains constant for all trucks, giving us confidence that this was in fact a legitimate result.
The moral of this story is simple, it might be worth thinking twice before lining up beside a Cybertruck at either the drag strip or sled pull unless you're absolutely certain it isn't a Cyberbeast variant.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 12-03-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:17 AM   #23
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Filed under “because we could”. Otherwise, what’s the point?

https://youtube.com/shorts/2cukB4_hD...ffbqpv0lPCHsAi

Old 12-04-2023, 03:48 AM   #24
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Anyone else finding it a bit weird that one of the main selling points is how it reacts to being shot at with various weapons?
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:16 AM   #25
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
Anyone else finding it a bit weird that one of the main selling points is how it reacts to being shot at with various weapons?
There's a lot of mental illness out there nowadays.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:17 AM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
Not all that weird if you consider the car "of the future" theme. It did seem like a bad idea to show-case it as they did. No doubt some of these will eventually get shot at just for fun thinking it's a harmless prank. Or maybe the truck owners will become even more smug a-hole Tesla drivers thinking they are now "bullet-proof"...lol

I did notice the windows were never shot at. Don't think they will hold up as well as the sheet-metal. Perhaps bullet proof windows will be an extra option at some point...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:23 AM   #27
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
Yes. I’ve been driving since 1974 and have never needed a bulletproof vehicle.
said no one in Chicago/New York.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #28
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I recall the last time stainless was overly-used for a vehicle body. It's only lasting claim to fame was time travel in a few movies with its flux capacitor (which still can be found at www.oreillyauto.com website).

The cybertruck has impressive stats, but I put it in the same spot as the Hummer. It was a military vehicle that gained popularity with a civilian version, and those who bought one knew it wasn't very practical for home use.

The cybertruck seems to be doing the opposite. Showing the public that it can withstand impacts of various threats, so the military may come knocking to get a beefed up version for the military. Is that where Elon eventually wants it to go for long-term success? To the military industrial complex? But the price tag may keep many from buying one, to which, once again, only those with disposable income will be the ones owning one.

The government wouldn't have a problem paying 3 or more times the current expected base price for each vehicle. That could net Elon quite a bit more F-U money than he already has.

We'll all be watching, for sure. I just see no justification for it and it's not at all a nice looking truck, but hey, it's another choice. I'm all for increased choices.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote