Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #57
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
All these cars are impressive in my eyes. We should only be so lucky to be having these debates these days. Good fun bench racing.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #58
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
All these cars are impressive in my eyes. We should only be so lucky to be having these debates these days. Good fun bench racing.
And real racing.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #59
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
And real racing.
True. It’d be nice if everybody could gather but unfortunately distance is a problem.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #60
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Driver makes a huge difference but obviously that's a huge variable. Power to weight ratio is just physics. When you add variables like the driver, well then anything goes. I was strictly speaking apples to apples comparison removing the obvious variables. There's plenty of stock Hellcat's with a proper driver that will outrun your stock ZL1 in the 1/4. Its cool though, racing is heads up, driver is part of the equation.
Absolutely true.

At the same time every comparo of the three by any one doing side by side stock comparisons the Camaro takes them off the line & the others have to reel it in on the big end.

For a high HP RWD platform, stock vs stock, the ZL1 just hooks better. That it also handles so good makes that an even more impressive feat.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #61
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Absolutely true.

At the same time every comparo of the three by any one doing side by side stock comparisons the Camaro takes them off the line & the others have to reel it in on the big end.

For a high HP RWD platform, stock vs stock, the ZL1 just hooks better.
I don't disagree with you there, the widebody platform is far better than the standard body for traction due to the 305 tires however, they are all-season tires compared to the ZL1s GYSC3s which are MUCH stickier. From a pure physics standpoint, the Redeye will have the advantage, but tires, track prep and driver are huge variables. As stated by KingLT1 also, Dodge doesn't seem to use electronic nannies to interfere as much so you're getting a lot more power available right off idle.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #62
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Have you driven one though? That DCT is phenomenal. I could understand your argument if you're a manual guy but compared to an automatic, the DCT is equally comparable if not better.

Well, if anything goes, there are lots of platforms you could choose. I was strictly speaking of the three currently available.
No I haven't actually driven one. A few guys that I know that have or have owned them didn't have them long. The trans tuning seems to be very limited on them and they don't like to launch. A 10r80 Coyote imo is a better platform for drag/grudge racing. The GT500 is over priced for what it is. Don't take this as a crap post on the 500, I still think it's a solid car if the price was a bit lower. So I think we agree here which is why you bought a ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
If building a cheap/fun drag car I’d be going LS/Fox body.

I was very close to slapping a 6.0L in my notch after I split a cylinder in the 306. Lot of good that main girdle did…
Can't argue that as long as you can fit in one.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #63
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
No I haven't actually driven one. A few guys that I know that have or have owned them didn't have them long. The trans tuning seems to be very limited on them and they don't like to launch. A 10r80 Coyote imo is a better platform for drag/grudge racing. The GT500 is over priced for what it is. Don't take this as a crap post on the 500, I still think it's a solid car if the price was a bit lower. So I think we agree here which is why you bought a ZL1.
From a pure drag racing standpoint, the DCT is not the best but again that's why I said I would recommend a Hellcat among the 3 current choices available if drag racing was priority number 1. That being said from a pure fun, road course standpoint, I think the GT500 is the best available IF you can get one for MSRP, which is why I didn't buy one and bought a ZL1. I could have had one for $5k over MSRP but the GT500 is on the borderline of a good value at MSRP, anything above that pushes it outside of a good value where the ZL1 currently sits.

In summary, I would choose a GT500 if I could get one at MSRP and not a penny above, I would choose a Hellcat if drag racing were my top priority, I would choose a ZL1 if I wanted the best bang for the buck where drag racing wasn't my top priority.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #64
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
From a pure drag racing standpoint, the DCT is not the best but again that's why I said I would recommend a Hellcat among the 3 current choices available if drag racing was priority number 1. That being said from a pure fun, road course standpoint, I think the GT500 is the best available IF you can get one for MSRP, which is why I didn't buy one and bought a ZL1. I could have had one for $5k over MSRP but the GT500 is on the borderline of a good value at MSRP, anything above that pushes it outside of a good value where the ZL1 currently sits.

In summary, I would choose a GT500 if I could get one at MSRP and not a penny above, I would choose a Hellcat if drag racing were my top priority, I would choose a ZL1 if I wanted the best bang for the buck where drag racing wasn't my top priority.
That would never have happened in todays market used or new. Only 5K is a steal compared to what I've seen them going around here for the last couple of months.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:48 AM   #65
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
That would never have happened in todays market used or new. Only 5K is a steal compared to what I've seen them going around here for the last couple of months.
5K was a good deal compared to others but it wasn't a good enough deal for me when I consider MSRP to be really the max for that car before its no longer a good deal. We paid 4K over for our Durango Hellcat but its a limited production vehicle, less than 3K will ever be made.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #66
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Edelbrock has an CARB-legal kit: http://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/.../d-215-117.pdf

I have opinions on this kit, which is why I don't use it.

Magnuson has a kit pending CARB-certification: https://www.magnusonsuperchargers.co...-62-176-bl.htm

This is the kit I have and there is little that I take any issue with.

Both of these kits have the same rotors ZR1 and the GT500 use. Both kits will push similar boost numbers as ZR1 and the GT500. Both kits also put out about the same as ZR1 and GT500. This is all you need to keep up with the GT500. ZL1 already has a better chassis. If you put the GYSC3R on ZL1, it sticks nearly the same as ZLE.

The only issues you might face at that power level is engine cooling. There's a member running almost the same set-up that has found and upgraded radiator, IC, and larger oil cooler (replaces the secondary IC - which is why you would need the upgraded primary IC) provide adequate cooling for about 70-RWHP around a track.
Rereading this thread i noticed you mentioned ZR1 several times. Did you mean "ZL1" or is the magnuson actually comparable to the "ZR1" and "GT500" that you referenced. I may end up going the magnuson route, any word on the status of the CARB request they submitted or a timeframe?
Old 05-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #67
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
One thing you need to remember is that your chances of finding a GT500 out there that is willing to race is most likely not gonna be stock. In which case you're gonna need to dump a lot more money into your car than you already have. Most shops are bringing the GT500s up to high 700s low 800s for just a few thousand dollars. At $12,000 or slightly more these cars are approx 900+. If you come across one of them guys, and there are plenty out there that would love for you to pick a race with them, then you're not gonna stand a chance. So if you're modding to beat stock Shelbys then that's cool. But you can't pick whats out there. And if you hear one rumbling then you should probably just leave him alone.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:46 PM   #68
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Move from California
Ditto!
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote