Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #15
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Would you suggest getting a 1LE for regular daily use, such as on bumpy streets / highways given the stiff MRC? Or should I be looking at a regular SS or LT1? Would the most pedestrian setting of the MRC make for a comfortable ride over bumpy streets, or should I stick with a non MRC car?
I see Long Island as your location.....I cannot speak for ZL1 1LE, but an SS 1LE is absolutely fine for daily on Long Island, even nice road trips, no issues at all with mag ride.

The only thing that might be an issue is actually the tires. GYSC3 not cold or wet friendly tires. Otherwise, no comfort issues certainly.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #16
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Me too. When I see 1LE, I immediately think of ZL1 1LE, but I'm not sure what the OP is asking here.

Here https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600580 the OP's thread says 1LE and he is asking about a ZL1 1LE wing
Actually the OP (paradigm) has not participated in this ZL1 1LE wing (or not yet anyway!)

But yes, it looks like we all jumped the gun when he seemed to be referring to the (non-ZL1) 1LE!

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #17
Winter’SS

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS 1LE
I DD’ed a 2021 1SS for about a year and I sold it and DD a 1SS 1LE now. Both were A10. I found the 1SS non-1LE got much better gas mileage (22 avg MPG) and currently I get about 16-18 MPG in my 1LE. I drove both very aggressively. Obviously, the 1SS non-1LE handled bumps a lot easier and I’ve had to get used to the 1LE tbh. I don’t mind the bumps from a comfort stand point - I just felt like I might be damaging the suspension with how stiff it is. (Which I’m still unsure about). Believe it or not I had no change in my insurance when I switched - not sure if that’s going to be the case now that I’m in Texas.

I still enjoy my 1LE more. Track mode is definitely tuned differently in the 1LE because it is much more aggressive. I enjoy having the PDR (truly is an amazing feature.) also, I agree with the comments about tires. Moving from dry and hot Phoenix to somewhat cold and wet Dallas is a huge difference. I am spinning out like crazy. Plus the tires will wear very quickly. I’m at 6k and I’m pretty sure I’ll need tires soon. I know both cars pretty much had the same tires except that the regular SS has run flats and smaller wheels. Anyways, hope this help your decision!

Ohh - one more thing to note. I truly believe the top end on the 1LE is a bit slower because of the weight difference (1LE is about 100 lbs heavier I believe) and bigger wheels and tires. The wider tires want to follow every curve in the road.
Winter’SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:44 AM   #18
TruFan1LE

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Here is my two cents. Post #8 said it best, test drive them both. I think there is some trade off either way. Which would you prefer is the real question because at the end of the day its your money and your choice. I say this because I hate when someone say you sholdn't do something (i.e. don't get the 1LE if you don't plan to track the car). The SS 1LE is the ultimate street car (IMHO). I bought a 1LE and I have no plans to track my car. I drive it every other week. Sometimes less than that depending on the weather (when the weather gets bad so does people's driving habits).

Even though I try not to drive in the rain, I took the car on a trip to the Mississippi Delta, where I was born and raised. I encountered some heavy rain and the car performed way better that I was expecting. Not a hint of hydroplaining and I was driving 60-65 mph. Of course, I did not drive through standing water either. It was a 4 and a half hour trip that was quite comfortable in Sport mode (still have factory tires with about 7700 miles and no burn outs, maybe the occational powerslide).

I did my research and played with the different configurations of the SS and the 1LE looks better and came out cheaper than the cars I built. I have no idea how the non 1LE SS rides and I'm ok with that. After owning this car for a year, I feel like I made the right choice. BTW, I got the 1SS 1LE because I did not want the BOSE radio with navigation. I plan to go full aftermarket with amps and subs but not too crazy.

With all this said, I hope you enjoy whatever YOU DECIDE!
TruFan1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #19
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruFan1LE View Post
Here is my two cents. Post #8 said it best, test drive them both. I think there is some trade off either way. Which would you prefer is the real question because at the end of the day its your money and your choice. I say this because I hate when someone say you sholdn't do something (i.e. don't get the 1LE if you don't plan to track the car). The SS 1LE is the ultimate street car (IMHO). I bought a 1LE and I have no plans to track my car. I drive it every other week. Sometimes less than that depending on the weather (when the weather gets bad so does people's driving habits).

Even though I try not to drive in the rain, I took the car on a trip to the Mississippi Delta, where I was born and raised. I encountered some heavy rain and the car performed way better that I was expecting. Not a hint of hydroplaining and I was driving 60-65 mph. Of course, I did not drive through standing water either. It was a 4 and a half hour trip that was quite comfortable in Sport mode (still have factory tires with about 7700 miles and no burn outs, maybe the occational powerslide).

I did my research and played with the different configurations of the SS and the 1LE looks better and came out cheaper than the cars I built. I have no idea how the non 1LE SS rides and I'm ok with that. After owning this car for a year, I feel like I made the right choice. BTW, I got the 1SS 1LE because I did not want the BOSE radio with navigation. I plan to go full aftermarket with amps and subs but not too crazy.

With all this said, I hope you enjoy whatever YOU DECIDE!
I think you make a good point about trying it out and making your own conclusion. But there is a caveat.

The chassis dynamics limits on the 1LE are so high, that it's close to impossible to approach on the street in the dry/warm weather. It is a good street car, but to me coming from BMW M2, and Mustang before that, the SS 1LE seemed docile to DD. It revves out slower, the gears are very tall, hard to break tremendous grip (so no drama). To approach any kind of excitement you need to red line it, which puts you at ~65mph in 2nd, and ~100 in 3rd. Arrest me territory very quickly.

But where the 1LE REALLY shine and stands out from the like of Mustangs and BMWs in ON the track. You get to see how high the limits really are, and just how progressive the chassis is past those limits. You get to make line adjustments with the steering or yaw adjustments with the throttle while the car is pulling 1.2G and sliding around a corner at 90mph. It's much more rewarding than those other cars near the limit.

So I get that it's a competent street car, but it was designed for (and excels) at doing hot laps. So I understand why people say you should track the 1LE. If you don't track it, you are missing out on the most amazing part of the 1LE experience in my humble opinion.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:10 AM   #20
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
1LE package seems like a really good deal for what you get, if you're looking at getting Recaros, mag ride, etc. already then the 1LE package isn't much more and you get a LOT more from it vs ordering separate options. The list is long, if you're not aware of every part look it up so you know exactly what the differences are.

Also, 2SS 1LE is similar to a base ZL1, which is intended to be a street car. I don't feel the SLE is too track focused for a street car. However I agree with others you'll appreciate the car a lot more if you do track and/or autox it.

I'll also echo what others say about the tires GY SC3 are fine on warm, sunny days but something like Michelin PS4S are FAR better daily driver tires.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #21
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Michelin PS4S are FAR better daily driver tires.
It's difficult to list enough superlatives on the PS4S. I've driven them since they came on the market on two GTR and now 1LE.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #22
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I think you make a good point about trying it out and making your own conclusion. But there is a caveat.

The chassis dynamics limits on the 1LE are so high, that it's close to impossible to approach on the street in the dry/warm weather. It is a good street car, but to me coming from BMW M2, and Mustang before that, the SS 1LE seemed docile to DD. It revves out slower, the gears are very tall, hard to break tremendous grip (so no drama). To approach any kind of excitement you need to red line it, which puts you at ~65mph in 2nd, and ~100 in 3rd. Arrest me territory very quickly.

But where the 1LE REALLY shine and stands out from the like of Mustangs and BMWs in ON the track. You get to see how high the limits really are, and just how progressive the chassis is past those limits. You get to make line adjustments with the steering or yaw adjustments with the throttle while the car is pulling 1.2G and sliding around a corner at 90mph. It's much more rewarding than those other cars near the limit.

So I get that it's a competent street car, but it was designed for (and excels) at doing hot laps. So I understand why people say you should track the 1LE. If you don't track it, you are missing out on the most amazing part of the 1LE experience in my humble opinion.
This point exactly! Having owned my 1LE for little over a year, tracked it several times this year, I'm extremely impressed with the handling right up to the limit. While it's fairly fun to drive on the street, it's AMAZING on the track near handling limits. Routinely doing 1.2-1.25G around most corners and up to 1.45G if you trail brake well (during aggressive trail braking, the front end pivots on dime with amazing grace).

It seems this type of car attracts two types of owners. Those that first and foremost want to hammer it on the track, and those that are a little more interested in cruising, straight line acceleration, and looks. I'm a new owner in the muscle car circle so don't claim to fully understand the culture and these differences. But either way, the car fits my purposes, which is on the track rather than car shows. To each his own!!

Last edited by N Camarolina; 12-21-2021 at 10:32 PM.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #23
TruFan1LE

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I am fully aware of the capabilities of the SS 1LE, but it's the look that did it for me. I'm no racer, trackrat or whatever but I understand the allure of tracking the 1LE. I admire the guys that do the Optima Street Car Challenge, but I just enjoy the drive. Getting the 1LE was the right choice for me because it had all the options I wanted.
TruFan1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #24
Bwaahhh

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Would you suggest getting a 1LE for regular daily use, such as on bumpy streets / highways given the stiff MRC? Or should I be looking at a regular SS or LT1? Would the most pedestrian setting of the MRC make for a comfortable ride over bumpy streets, or should I stick with a non MRC car?

Where do you live? I DD my 1LE and track it. Here in Georgia, the roads are fine...I don't feel beat up or that the mag ride in tour is too stiff.

For me, I really wanted the recaros from the 1LE and the specialness/uniqueness the package provides. The amount of attention this car gets when it is clean from other dudes is astounding - I like it....always fun to talk cars. Also, I wanted to track 5-6 times a year - and this car does it insanely well.

Note, I was driving in 40 degree F the other day, raining, the stock GYSPEagle F1 are TERRIBLE in cold temperatures and in the wet. I had no traction above 60 MPH. So if you live in a climate where that is possible - I would suggest getting Michelin PS4S and save the Goodyears for the track.
Bwaahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #25
1lE_1LE

Drives: '21 M6 1SS 1LE
If you have no intent of using any of the 1LE goodies, why waste the money?

To answer the question, you can DD a SS 1LE. I daily mine in Chicago. Only thing I worry about is the kinda long starts every now and then.

Unless you’re a senile old man, MRC suspension (even in track) is borderline soft compared to a ZLE (no MRC). Car is kinda boring to drive unless you’re hammering it hard, but when you do... it rewards you very handsomely
1lE_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #26
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I DD my SS 1LE. Only issue I consider is temperature range of the summer tires. It doesn't get cold here in Texas, but I won't drive it below 47degF or if it is raining. I kept the GY tires for my first replacement set since I like how they feel.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #27
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I've put about 55K+ on my SS 1LE. That includes daily driving and road trips. I generally keep the suspension in Track mode, the steering in Sport, exhaust in Track, throttle response in Sport. Yeah, it's a bit stiff, but I like it that way.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:22 AM   #28
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
SS with the 1LE package will ride smoother than an SS or LT1 with passive dampers (non-mag ride).

I know this because I have owned both. My 1SS 1LE rides plusher in Touring Mode than my LT1 did.
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote