Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Anyone know what version the 2020

USB ports is in the Camaro? 1, 2 or 3? or
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
Old 01-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
The ports in my 2021 seem to lack the fast charging features that are provided by most 3.0 implementations, so I would guess they're 2.0.

I don't have a good way of measuring the transfer speed, though.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #4
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
The ports in my 2021 seem to lack the fast charging features that are provided by most 3.0 implementations, so I would guess they're 2.0.

The plug looks black which implies 2.

DO you use the wireless Android Auto?

If yes, how is it? That is one thing I wish I had in my 2020.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
The plug looks black which implies 2.

DO you use the wireless Android Auto?

If yes, how is it? That is one thing I wish I had in my 2020.
My phone is an iPhone, so I'm using CarPlay, but I really like it. The connection was a little flaky the first day, but it's been fine since. My only real gripes with it are that:

1. I haven't figured out the proper way of telling Siri where I want to go on the first try
2. I haven't figured out how to adjust the phone call volume yet, so I can barely hear the other person.

I think both of those have more to do with me being lazy than anything being wrong with the car, though.

I keep meaning to try out Android Auto with my other phone, to see if that's better, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm sure it's more or less the same.

Is it not possible to get Carplay, et cetera added to your 2020? Seems like it should just be a matter of swapping a gizmo out under the dash, or updating the firmware or something.

Edit: Color of the ports doesn't necessarily mean anything - USB 3 ports, especially, come in all sorts of colors. The real litmus test is whether it has the extra contacts, but I think in a car, you'd just have USB-C if they were going to do that, and I haven't seen a USB-C port anywhere in my car.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:16 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
My phone is an iPhone, so I'm using CarPlay, but I really like it. The connection was a little flaky the first day, but it's been fine since. My only real gripes with it are that:

1. I haven't figured out the proper way of telling Siri where I want to go on the first try
2. I haven't figured out how to adjust the phone call volume yet, so I can barely hear the other person.

I think both of those have more to do with me being lazy than anything being wrong with the car, though.

I keep meaning to try out Android Auto with my other phone, to see if that's better, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm sure it's more or less the same.

Is it not possible to get Carplay, et cetera added to your 2020? Seems like it should just be a matter of swapping a gizmo out under the dash, or updating the firmware or something.

Edit: Color of the ports doesn't necessarily mean anything - USB 3 ports, especially, come in all sorts of colors. The real litmus test is whether it has the extra contacts, but I think in a car, you'd just have USB-C if they were going to do that, and I haven't seen a USB-C port anywhere in my car.
I feel like most automotive makers are going for wireless chargers in favor of USB-C, but it will be replacing USB-A in the future.

I can change my call volume while on a call, so there's two different volumes for regular CarPlay then phone calls
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Change the volume during a call using the buttons on the steering wheel.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:

USB versions are not directly related to 'fast charging' although there are some aspects that tie in to certain pieces of charging. While Fast Charging varieties are often found in higher versions of USB, it also requires additional circuitry to allow the device to negotiate higher voltages and faster charge speeds as long as the device and the charging circuitry are compatible. The original specs for USB did have limits of 500mA which would cause today's phones to charge extremely slowly.

The ports in the cars are not any form of USB 3 as that would be indicated by a blue plastic 'insert' inside of the female connector where the cable slides in. That basically means that they are USB 2 since USB 1 really isn't produced any more (USB 2 was released 20 years ago at this point).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
Quick question out of curiosity, does anyone actually use the wireless charger in the back? I personally forget it exists half the time and I think the one time I tried to use it, it turned out to be too small for my phone.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang N’ Bang View Post
Quick question out of curiosity, does anyone actually use the wireless charger in the back? I personally forget it exists half the time and I think the one time I tried to use it, it turned out to be too small for my phone.
My phone is too big.

There was someone that posted a mod for it the giant mod thread. I’ll have to try it out.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote