The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
Smartphone USB Tethering - Free Wi-Fi for everyone

The wife and I just got new phones - s7 Edge. Enjoying the capabilities of the phones. One thing I'm trying to get running is tething the phone to a new Asus RT-AC68U wireless router so that the Internet from the phone can be shared from the wireless router. I've set up the router with all the configurations necessary to make this work. However, when I turn on USB Tethering on the phone, nothing happens on the router (as I'm logged into the router, looking at the GUI of the network map) - the Internet never goes active.

I've tried everything to get it to work - even called Straight Talk (my phone carrier) and the lady was quite pissy about me doing this. Yeah, yeah, I realize it's part of their terms of service that one NOT do this. But, I dont care, I want to see if I can get this to work.
I think I need to use a USB tethering obfuscation app to get this to work but I dont want to do anything to jack up my new phone. I rooted my s4 and was messing around with it and, well, lets just say thats why I have a new phone now.

Anyone get something like this to work?

This is what Im trying to do:

ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
You're just trying to get your S7 to use the wifi from your Asus router?

If so...

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062035/

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
ride98red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
You're just trying to get your S7 to use the wifi from your Asus router?

If so...

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062035/
No, no. Other way around. I'm trying to give my phone's Internet connection to the Wi-Fi router (via USB tether) so that my router can give out internet (my phone's internet) to anyone in my house.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
sherob

? Assume your router rather than a PC?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-203769/

Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride98red View Post
No, no. Other way around. I'm trying to give my phone's Internet connection to the Wi-Fi router (via USB tether) so that my router can give out internet (my phone's internet) to anyone in my house.
The throughput for that would be horrible. And your router truly isn't designed for that unless you configure it as an access point and not a router.

If I understand you correctly, you want to use your phone, as a router per say, and the router would become an access point. You would have to configure the router to join your phones wifi as it would become a hotspot. Then you are expecting your new "router/access point" to broadcast the wifi ID to the rest of your family to use. It can probably be done, but the big question would be why due to the extreme slow speeds you would see.

Or just setup your phone as hotspot and let your family join your phone's hotspot wifi. Again, your wifi speed would probably be that of an old dialup modem.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
The throughput for that would be horrible. And your router truly isn't designed for that unless you configure it as an access point and not a router.

If I understand you correctly, you want to use your phone, as a router per say, and the router would become an access point. You would have to configure the router to join your phones wifi as it would become a hotspot. Then you are expecting your new "router/access point" to broadcast the wifi ID to the rest of your family to use. It can probably be done, but the big question would be why due to the extreme slow speeds you would see.

Or just setup your phone as hotspot and let your family join your phone's hotspot wifi. Again, your wifi speed would probably be that of an old dialup modem.
Yeah, this would be the optimum way to do it... and performance will be awful as well... more devices, worse performance!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
This is common for folks that live out in the country where slow DSL is still really expensive. They're not getting great performance anyways. Try this link and see if it gives you any pointers.

https://www.vpnuniversity.com/tutori...router#method1

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
ride98red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
This is common for folks that live out in the country where slow DSL is still really expensive. They're not getting great performance anyways. Try this link and see if it gives you any pointers.

https://www.vpnuniversity.com/tutori...router#method1

right on man! you're pickin up what I'm laying down. that is the exact article that I've been trying to use in setting up what i want but its not working. I think the issue is with my cell provider (straight talk) doesnt allow the tethering to the router, which is where the hotspot obfuscation comes into play. If I can hide the hotspot data usage from the ISP, I think it'll work - at least that's my understanding of how it "should" work.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
ride98red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Yeah, this would be the optimum way to do it... and performance will be awful as well... more devices, worse performance!
I respectfuly disagree. some ISPs throttle data over hotspots which makes your streaming experience less than desirable. Doing what I'm trying to do obfuscates the usage of the hotspot (with the assistance of an app) which keeps speeds optimal. And, hrpiii, the router is indeed designed for 3G/4G sharing and is precisely why I purchased this router.
Some ISPs provide the consumer with a pin for their routers so that this type of setup can be utilized. However, according to straight talk TOS, its not allowed.
Appreciate the input all.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I think you need a vpn... that's whay I got from reading the article
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
ride98red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I think you need a vpn... that's whay I got from reading the article
Yeah, VPN would work but I hear that is another speed killer. I've used a VPN before when I was overseas and never had a bit of trouble with it but I'm trying to not spend any more money than I have to on this project.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I live in the country. Pay $70 per month for 10 gigs. 20 is $120. That's the only provider in my area. Interested to hear is anyone is using there phone as described above... and how is the quality and speed?
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote