Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #57
hokiez28

Drives: 2012 2SS - 45th Anniversary Edition
My 2012 SS has just recently developed the rear end chatter, started noticing it at about 2400 miles when pulling out of my parking spot at work in the evenings (hard left turn). It feels/sounds like a "clunking" type noise. I now have about 2600 miles on the odometer, I guess a trip to the dealership is in order...

1994 Camaro Z28 A4 w/ Hooker Longtubes, Borla Exhaust, Custom 4" CAI, in need of a transmission rebuild
hokiez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #58
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiez28 View Post
My 2012 SS has just recently developed the rear end chatter, started noticing it at about 2400 miles when pulling out of my parking spot at work in the evenings (hard left turn). It feels/sounds like a "clunking" type noise. I now have about 2600 miles on the odometer, I guess a trip to the dealership is in order...
You are taking the correct steps by getting a proper diagnosis at a dealership. If you could please let us know how your appointment goes, that would be great!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #59
Mr_Synergy

Drives: 2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition
Send a message via MSN to Mr_Synergy
I have also had this same problem but unfortunately my results are much worst then they could ever be..

First off, I (like everyone else here I'm sure) brought my car STRAIGHT to the dealership as soon as I experienced my rear end chatter/locking on low speed turns. After waiting 3 weeks (luckily I had a loaner) for parts, my fluid was drained, seals replaced, and 2 new drive axle nuts installed (just as the PI says).

Finally, after getting my car back, I got to drive it again. Only to realize that I still have the exact same thing wrong with it. No change what-so-ever!! Still chatters on slow turns and even snaps/pops/bangs just like it did before. I do realize (as per the PI) that the car has to be driven for up to 805km to allow the new fluid to penetrate the clutches and whatnot. So drive it I did, just as I was told, despite the awful noises it was still making.

4 days (350km) later after normal use, I was pulling out of a parking lot, making a 90 degree right turn onto a road and BANG goes the rear end. I had no movement and all so I had it towed back to the dealership.

Today, they took out the rear differential, stipped it down and found extensive damage done to almost every gear inside. Now I have to wait for the shop to hear back from TAC to know if they are covering it as warranty!? A fella from the axles division was talking to my shop and was telling them that because the gears are damaged its almost a definite reason for abuse. Which isn't what happned at all!!

So help me God if GM doesn't cover this under warranty, its not my fault!!
Mr_Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #60
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Synergy View Post
I have also had this same problem but unfortunately my results are much worst then they could ever be..

First off, I (like everyone else here I'm sure) brought my car STRAIGHT to the dealership as soon as I experienced my rear end chatter/locking on low speed turns. After waiting 3 weeks (luckily I had a loaner) for parts, my fluid was drained, seals replaced, and 2 new drive axle nuts installed (just as the PI says).

Finally, after getting my car back, I got to drive it again. Only to realize that I still have the exact same thing wrong with it. No change what-so-ever!! Still chatters on slow turns and even snaps/pops/bangs just like it did before. I do realize (as per the PI) that the car has to be driven for up to 805km to allow the new fluid to penetrate the clutches and whatnot. So drive it I did, just as I was told, despite the awful noises it was still making.

4 days (350km) later after normal use, I was pulling out of a parking lot, making a 90 degree right turn onto a road and BANG goes the rear end. I had no movement and all so I had it towed back to the dealership.

Today, they took out the rear differential, stipped it down and found extensive damage done to almost every gear inside. Now I have to wait for the shop to hear back from TAC to know if they are covering it as warranty!? A fella from the axles division was talking to my shop and was telling them that because the gears are damaged its almost a definite reason for abuse. Which isn't what happned at all!!

So help me God if GM doesn't cover this under warranty, its not my fault!!
If you would like me to set up a case with GM customer service and research this information, please provide me with your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage and involved dealership. I look forward to working with you.

Brandon
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #61
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
My dealer got sick of me coming in for the same problem all the time and finally changed the gears in the diff. Technically it was the clutches but they're inside a huge ball of gears etc that they said they had to send back whole for the warrantee so it was kind of replaced as a unit. Hopefully they put in the new seals and nut and fluid and additive and everything thing one more time else so it won't happen again next year! Such a perfect car otherwise and I totally love it still so it's a shame that there's this one problem for so many.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #62
Mr_Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
If you would like me to set up a case with GM customer service and research this information, please provide me with your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage and involved dealership. I look forward to working with you.

Brandon
PM sent. Hopefully we can resolve this!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #63
Flying24

Drives: Orange Crush 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beave View Post
You know I just went yeterday, and learned about this issue today. However I also was shown several pervious bulletins. Evidently last year they issued a bulletin stating that the 2011 and 2012 models with auto trans needed to have their differential fluid changed, however never did a recall. If people came in with the noise they just changed the fluid. Then earlier this year they sent out a second bulletin upgrading and changing the axle seals, the fluids and several key bolts. I was shown a bran new bulletin today saying that now they will be changing all of that plus opening up the differential and changing out clutch pieces. But still no recall. I am in waiting mode for the parts. GM faxed them the new bulletin because it was not in the system until and not expected there until July 1
Does anyone have the latest bulletin stating the corrective action for this problem which is stated above. I have a dealer appointment Monday, I want to limit my trips to the dealer
Flying24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #64
Mr_Synergy

Well I found out today that my car IS going to be fixed under warrenty (THANKFULLY) Even tho TAC told my dealership that it appears to be abuse the DSM still approved the warrenty. This is a must as far as I'm concerned (based on my situation) I still feel the need to send a big thank you out to GM! Also, best of luck to everyone else out there and I hope nobody ends up in my situation.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #65
Flying24

Went to the dealership yesterday and showed them the TSB about this issue. I only had a copy of the first version. I understand by reading here on the forum there are as many as 4. But my dealership won't comment to that, but to say once it's update they are unable to access previous editions. So they first just did the fluid change with the additive. I stress to them to put all 4 ounces in and not just 2.5 like it states on the first TSB. Since the fluid change the chatting has stopped, but I thought I may have heard it slightly once. But i will ask my wife who drove it to work from at cold start if she noticed it.
Does anyone have a copy of the most current bulletin?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #66
Flying24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying24 View Post
Went to the dealership yesterday and showed them the TSB about this issue. I only had a copy of the first version. I understand by reading here on the forum there are as many as 4. But my dealership won't comment to that, but to say once it's update they are unable to access previous editions. So they first just did the fluid change with the additive. I stress to them to put all 4 ounces in and not just 2.5 like it states on the first TSB. Since the fluid change the chatting has stopped, but I thought I may have heard it slightly once. But i will ask my wife who drove it to work from at cold start if she noticed it.
Does anyone have a copy of the most current bulletin?
Wife informed me that the chatting is still there, Calling dealership now to make next appointment. So this will be my 3rd trip to the dealer, first one they said it was my soft compound tires. I hope they jump to the most current info they have and change seals, hardware and clutch pieces. I even drove it more then 100 miles to make sure that additive was mixed well with the differential fluid.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #67
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Question: Is this issue only limited to manual transmissions? I have an A6 with the remote start (deletes limited slip differential).
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #68
Flying24

To Follow up: Called dealership can't get me in this week all booked up, and next week I'm on a vacation. I asked if he could make sure parts are on hand before my next appointment. He responded, they would have to insp first before ordering parts. Well I see this will drag out, I bet it will take me 5 visits to get it right. Why can't they just complete all items on the TSB instead of doing one at a time. Of course his last response was it's still under warranty. And I'm thinking I just took a sick day at work on the last visit.
Anyone from the DC area who has had this done, because the dealership I'm dealing with acts like this is their first one.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #69
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
WHAT !

Took the wifes car in for scheduled service this a.m.Had called a week ago and asked them to check on PI0137c dated may 11, 2012 for rear axle rubbing /chatter on my camaro.Got to the dealer asked if they checked on the bulletin and they said yes.Asked if they had the parts on hand to complete and the service adviser said yes.Asked if they had done one on another camaro before and he said no ?
So I then asked if I brought it in how long would it take to complete the work.He stated ONE or TWO days ! The GM bulletin states GM pays 3.1 hrs.labor time ??? I told him that I do not leave my camaro overnight.He said maybe if I brought it in early they could do it in ONE day.

The question is how long did it take others to complete this work and get their car back.Really worried about joyriders , overnight test drives especially after the abuse thread posted yesterday. Thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #70
jtulery

Drives: 2012 CAMARO ZL1, 2012 CTS-V,
HI was at dealer I mentioned the TSB ( PI0137C) I have 2012 ZL1 auto trans. this tsb not for ZL1
jtulery is offline   Reply With Quote