Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #239
sir5er

Drives: 2SS 2010 Camaro, 2007 Acura TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie2 View Post
I've read the threads about grinding when backing up and the brake rust. But my wifes 2SS/A6 only does it when the wheels are turned sharp.

It doesn't do it if she backs up straight. And, it doesn't do it when I'm standing outside listening.

She has, on a couple of occassions heard it when turning the wheels sharply and going forward. (Like getting out of a parallel parking spot.)

She took it to the dealer and of course - they couldn't find anything wrong.

She can't tell if the "grinding" is coming from the front or rear or middle. It's just coming from under the car.

I'd believe the brake rust, but...
* It won't do it unless the wheels are turned sharply.
* It will do it even if only parked for a few minutes. (Not just when parked overnight.)

Any ideas?
Hi, I came across your post concerning your wife's problem with her backing up and turning sharp and having the grinding noise. The exact same thing has ALWAYS happened from day one with my 2SS. I got mine in May 2009. I had one of the mechanics at the dealer drive with me so I could let him hear it because they were unable to make it make the grinding noise themselves. Funny how that happens right? When he heard it he was puzzled. He said it sounded like the ABS but why would the ABS do that when there's no conditions to make the ABS come on? All he told me was that they can't fix what's not broke and that was the end of it. Well, I have a whole slew of issues with my car that I have just let go and I figure I'd better get them all taken care of right now. As I said I got my car in May 09 but I only have 11,000 miles on it. She's never seen rain or snow. So what ever did happen in your situation? Did she get it fixed or are you just dealing with it like I have all of this time?
sir5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #240
fastcam

Drives: 2011 Black SS Coupe
GM Has a fix for the rear axle chatter

Document ID: 2672507
#PI0137B: Rear Axle Chatter Type Noise on Low Speed Turns

The condition may be caused by a slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates. As the plates slip and stick, a jumping or jerking feel occurs, accompanied by a chatter noise.

The fix is replacing the Synthetic Differential Lubricant (P/N 89021677) and adding a Lubricant additive (P/N 1052358). These are US only P/N.

It's covered under warranty and it worked for me.
fastcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #241
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcam View Post
Document ID: 2672507
#PI0137B: Rear Axle Chatter Type Noise on Low Speed Turns

The condition may be caused by a slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates. As the plates slip and stick, a jumping or jerking feel occurs, accompanied by a chatter noise.

The fix is replacing the Synthetic Differential Lubricant (P/N 89021677) and adding a Lubricant additive (P/N 1052358). These are US only P/N.

It's covered under warranty and it worked for me.
Thanks, but that's been posted in this thread and the problem is it only seems to work for a while... I've had it done twice at my dealer and it needs it again. That's fine while its under warrantee, but what happens when the diff breaks afterwards and they say it's an 'un-related problem'. I am thinking we need to find out what the real issue is.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #242
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I'd say that's the sound that mine makes when it needs to have the rear differential fluid changed and some mystery 'additive' put in. I sure with there was more of an explanation for the problem than just "needs more additive" though.
The problems and fixes in this thread are for the SS, if you're driving the LT I don't think it will help your problem and you probably have something else going on.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #243
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
feel so sorry for you guys i'm disgusted about all this. new cars having problems..gm should have let the straight axle diff under instead of going with a new piece for making a independant suspension. or better yet put in place a better quality part and more durable more heavy duty..

my 2002 ws6 trans am ,with it's straight axle had no issues in 10 years -85000miles- it rides like a truck but at least it's not making any noises..

i hope the new models of diff will be corrected and problems adressed for them to be once and for all reliable for all the new customers..including me in the future..
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #244
Fisher

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I have the same problem with my 2011. First time was at 4000 miles, they put additive in and 3 months latter groaning noise came back. Took it again and they replaced the fluid and all the seals. I get it back tomorrow (they shorted out the anti lock brake sensor and I had to wait a day for the parts for that). I hope this works, that noise is terrible when turning and backing up. At least its all under warrenty, just hate not having my car
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #245
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
I have the same problem with my 2011. First time was at 4000 miles, they put additive in and 3 months latter groaning noise came back. Took it again and they replaced the fluid and all the seals. I get it back tomorrow (they shorted out the anti lock brake sensor and I had to wait a day for the parts for that). I hope this works, that noise is terrible when turning and backing up. At least its all under warrenty, just hate not having my car
We are sorry for your frustration with this issue. Please let us know how your service goes and hopefully it fixes the noise issue you have been having.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #246
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
I just noticed this for the first time this morning on my 2012 ss with 400 miles on it. It was a very nasty noise. I had just washed my car last night. I was backing into my spot at work. I had the wheel turned to the left and gave it just enough gas to back up and as I pushed the clutch in heard and felt a grinding noise. to me it felt like something with the brakes. now I am going to be paranoid about driving. does anyone know what the cause is after three freaking years?
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #247
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrown562 View Post
I just noticed this for the first time this morning on my 2012 ss with 400 miles on it. It was a very nasty noise. I had just washed my car last night. I was backing into my spot at work. I had the wheel turned to the left and gave it just enough gas to back up and as I pushed the clutch in heard and felt a grinding noise. to me it felt like something with the brakes. now I am going to be paranoid about driving. does anyone know what the cause is after three freaking years?
I am sorry for your dissatisfaction of the issue you are experiencing with your Camaro. Have you taken it to your local dealership for diagnosis? They should be able to pinpoint what the issue is. Please let us know if this is an option that works for you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #248
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
I took mine to the dealer yesterday and they didn't hear the noise because it was really warm. They did the software update for the ABS since I hear it more often in reverse than in forward gears but I heard the sound again this morning. The diff additive solved it temporarily last year and the first year I owned it so I'll have to wait for a nice cool day and see if it's pronounced enough to get one more additive before the warrantee expires. :-[
Old 05-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #249
khalsa013

Drives: 2ss & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I took mine to the dealer yesterday and they didn't hear the noise because it was really warm. They did the software update for the ABS since I hear it more often in reverse than in forward gears but I heard the sound again this morning. The diff additive solved it temporarily last year and the first year I owned it so I'll have to wait for a nice cool day and see if it's pronounced enough to get one more additive before the warrantee expires. :-[
been bothering the dealership and they did the same updated and changed my brake pads
khalsa013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #250
rosario

Drives: 2010 camaro
OK so why docent gm send out letters to customers about the problem......
rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #251
Chito
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro black 2ss/rs
I can hear a noise when the car is cold and I' wondering if it is due to the change in the differential fluid, I changed the fluid to royal purple and about a week after I started to hear the noise, I changed it again using the same royal purple and the noise still there, anybody went back to the dealer's fluid and that solve the issue? please let me know thanks. by the way I'm planning to change it back to the gm fluid and see if that takes care of the problem, will keep you posted.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #252
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
I did Rp and had the noise worse. Changed to mobile1 and GM additive. Problem gone for over 20k miles now. Gonna change again soon just cause.