The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Jerseyed

Drives: 2010 Lexus, 2014 Z51 C7 on order
7 Speed vs manual tally so far

Realizing this is not a very representative/scientific poll, I took the liberty of tallying up the consensus here as to preference (Toccitruck's 7speed vs auto thread), and the results are:

7 speed = 18
Auto = 6
neutral/unsure = 6

Z51 7 speed TPW May 26! can't wait
Jerseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Jerseyed

Sorry!! Title should have read 7 speed vs auto
Old 05-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
You mean there is no t speed automatic option for the C&?

Historically as far as the last few decades go the manual transmission appears in about 1/3 of the Corvettes assembled and the 2014 model year looks to be in step with history. I guess that means in the informal world of the marketplace, the automatic reigns supreme.

FWIW both my current rides have manual transmissions which proves I am biased toward the automatic.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Jerseyed

Thanks for the clarification Laborsmith.

Jerseyed
Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
GM Authority site said 40% of C7's are 7MT

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ck-with-manual

General Motors has confirmed to Edmunds that 40 percent of Corvette Stingray buyers choose the seven-speed manual transmission option. The other 60 percent of Corvette buyers get a six-speed automatic with paddle shifters, although GeneralMotors Company [NYSE:GM] will introduce a new eight-speed auto next year.
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
RidgebackKing

Drives: My wife crazy
I think the OPs "data" is based off of the information on this forum, just as he said. I'd be willing to bet the M v A ratio on this forum is reversed. IMO, the forums have people who are more "into" their cars and those that drive M, again IMO, are more "into" their cars.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
It also would be interesting to see the age range of buyers. I expect more older age buyers are buying 7 speeds, which seems the reverse of what one may expect. My dealer had an explanation for this in that most younger buyers trend to automatics, with the reason given me is that younger buyers don't know how to shift, never having had the experience, and do not want to learn.

Another thing, having driven my C7 7 speed with rev matching and NPP fully open all the time in all 5 modes; it tends to be more noisy, which I like. The rev matching does all kinds of revving with me not intending that it do so, and with NPP open, it sounds-off more as it wishes more so than I expect an auto would do. I am an active shifter. I tend to wind-up into gears at speeds more so than I expect Chevy would approve, although I do shift before I suffer a loss of speed, and I down-shift for braking purposes at higher speeds than I expect Chevy would suggest. Turns out I do not do much 1 to 4 shifting. The result is much rev matching/NPP noise, but beautiful to my ears.

Last edited by Richardlord; 05-21-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
At 46, I must be in the younger crowd who prefers automatic transmissions in my vehicles. Including my C7.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
There very much is merit in the older crowd more into manuals than the younger crowd. I'm 46 and learned to drive on a 4-speed manual Ford pickup. Back then, manuals were much more common. Now, automatics overall rule by something like 20+ to 1 over manuals. Used to be that the manuals were significantly better in fuel mileage, and much stronger and better geared for towing/heavier loads. Modern automatics have closed the gap and as adults figured that out, more bought automatics. With more and more households having automatics and not manuals, more and more kids learn to drive on said autos. The vast majority of people stick to what they are used to, and for those who learned on autos, they tend to stay with them.

Of course, there are always exceptions. Some friends of mine had to go with automatics due to knee issues, and I know a few younger automobile enthusiasts who much prefer manuals.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
RidgebackKing

Drives: My wife crazy
I'm 41, do I count as "older buyer"? My father would only let me learn to drive on a manual and I told my son he couldn't get his license until learned how to drive a manual.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgebackKing View Post
I'm 41, do I count as "older buyer"? My father would only let me learn to drive on a manual and I told my son he couldn't get his license until learned how to drive a manual.
You and your Dad are wise men.

Both my parents said the same thing to me when I wanted my lisence.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
goldbug

Drives: 2014 Stingray
I would say for some it would depend on the purpose of the vehicle. I went with the manual in my C7 because it will be used primarily for fun, and I've got an automatic in my daily-driver Subaru, because if I'm stuck in traffic commuting, I'd prefer an auto.

I'd guess I'm on the younger end of Corvette owners (35), but I've had a manual car or truck almost the entire time I've been driving. It's something that parents just pass down (or don't)--both my parents drove manual (and still do occasionally), and I'll definitely be teaching my son.
goldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
When I went to order my C7, I debated between auto and manual. I was trending auto because of the month-long 10,000 mile estimated cross country trip and back I was planning as I envisioned, and did not look forward to, several thousands of shifts on a manual. However, my wife drives a manual, and when I told her I was trending auto she said, "What? You are ordering what? This is a CORVETTE you are going to be driving!" with "we" implied. So, rather than suffer continual spousal emasculation, I opted for the 7 speed. However, from what I read of the 7 speed and rev matching, it did not take much spousal disdain to order manual. The wife is a real pistol, and I avoid unnecessary pot shots when possible. She claims she is a better shifter (not), and all I admit to her is that she is "shiftier."

Getting back to what me dealer said, it appears those of you who opted auto, did so not because you do not know how to shift, unlike many of its younger customers. I played college football back in the day, and as a result, I have had two total knee replacements. One reason I got my knees functional again was so I could manage a clutch as I planned on buying a '67 C2 big block manual, as most were back then. Then the C7 came along, and with the gas issues of a C2 limiting driving, I instead opted for the instant classic 7 speed C7 that I could drive long distances. I wonder how the C7 has impacted the collector market - depressed it or raised interest.

The wife and I read the C7 manual and could not believe the speed tolerances of each gear of the 7 speed - truly amazing - we can downshift into 2nd gear at what speed? If I downshifted into 2nd at its top speed tolerance I expect the sudden slowdown would catapult me right out of the driver's seat. Unbelievable 7 speed.

I hope to have the opportunity to drive a C7 auto, but for now, I am having a blast shifting my C7 manual with rev matching and NPP and enjoying conducting this symphony of speed and sound.

Last edited by Richardlord; 05-21-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
My last two Corvettes had the 6-speed manual tranny but when it came time to order my C7 I had to go with the auto. When I tried to sell my '08 I had two buyers who both passed when they learned it was a manual. I won't have that problem with the C7. Also, I'm not missing all the shifting. I put my Stingray in "sport" mode and the auto shifts real nice.
I have a 250 mile trip coming up this Sunday. I'm going to enjoy just driving the car and won't worry about the stop & go traffic issues.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote