Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Meth Install, Cig Lighter Help

Maybe I can get more help here as in the Electronic section there was only 1 response.

I'm looking for recommendations from guys who know their way around electronics and see what you guys suggest in my situation.

I just installed my AEM water meth kit and decided to use the cig accessory as the switched 12v. All is working fine BUT here is my situation. On this kit, there are 3 things that need a switched 12v source (the aem controller, the low-level sensor LED, and the solenoid) I connected all 3 to the cig lighter.

Again all works fine BUT coincidently that weekend I needed to put some air in one of my tires... I came to the surprise that the air pump that comes with the car doesn't turn on... Like the air gauge light turns on but as soon as I press the button to turn on the pump shuts off (the gauge light and all). I tested the pump on another car and its working fine so I know it has to do with my connections.

It does make sense that now the cig accessory doesn't have enough power I mean, darn I put 3 more things on it.

Another thing to note is while daily driving I also connect my radar detector here and I noticed every time my detector beeps the on switch for my Meth kit (which has a bulb to indicate power) dims for the time the radar is beeping.

- So is there a way to fix this?
- Would I have to source another 12v for my meth stuff in order for this to work? Or even distribute each thing to a separate switched 12v.

- On a separate note, would I need to add in inline fuse to the added lines? Please note that the AEM controller has its own fuse, the install instructions have NO mention of adding an inline fuse and I believe its because the controller has its own V regulation, hence why it has a built-in fuse, BUT would you still suggest adding ANOTHER fuse into the line?
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
If you have the meth off and the detector on, it sounds like you have a bad connection.

If both are on, it sounds like you're overloading the circuit.

The air pump definitely has a bad connection.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Here is what I would do.

Get yourself an automotive Relay. Use the 12volt from the Cig to trigger the relay. Then Run a fused 12volt from one of the terminals near the underhood fuse box.

This way the 12volt CIG when it powers on. Will energize the Relay and make the 12volt dedicated source avail to those extra items without having to worry about putting too much load on the Cig Circuit.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
thebanks06

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
what he said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Here is what I would do.

Get yourself an automotive Relay. Use the 12volt from the Cig to trigger the relay. Then Run a fused 12volt from one of the terminals near the underhood fuse box.

This way the 12volt CIG when it powers on. Will energize the Relay and make the 12volt dedicated source avail to those extra items without having to worry about putting too much load on the Cig Circuit.
thebanks06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The best and correct way would be to run a 12v switched from the front fuse panel box and as said to a relay that is triggered from key on. A relay can carry more load than the fuse can carry.

The fuse in the fuse panel is there to protect the wiring in the car, not the devices that are attached to each end of the wiring.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
^Agreed!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Noted, thank for you help guys.