Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #29
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Drives: 17 C Coupe, 17 1LE, 16 Scion iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The part in bold is true for any build and or mod to a vehicle. It always depends on how hard the end user is going to beat on the vehicle, forged pistons or hyper pistons.

Remember, in the end GM had to build the LT4 for the masses of people, some of those people take care of their cars and some dont. Most will run the right fuel and respect the car, some out there will run 87 and go beat on the car.

S/C 650hp with hyper pistons in that kind of customer base dont mix well, so forged pistons are the answer.

People have been putting a S/C on hyper piston engines since before the LSx series engines. Sure they have been some failures, but there are plenty out there with miles on them and still going.

My 1LE is more than likely getting a Whipple next year, I am not after the "most HP possible" end goal. I am just after a nice bump without tearing into the engine with reliable power. I am just after a fun street car that puts a grin on my face each time I get into it.
The LT1 pistons, in particular the rings are fragile... Anything beyond that 650whp is a questionable area on these motors. Thats just a reality, hard use will only serve to exploit that fragility. I would argue that 550whp to 650whp driven hard is subject to failure. Its a crap shoot with those rings better safe than sorry for me is drop in pistons over 600whp. But everyone will build to their budget and needs.
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #30
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
So...the LT4 pistons are forged for no reason?
he LT4 in the Zl1/Z06 was designed for road course use and deal with sustained high rpm and the heat from the 1.7 liter supercharger which is probably why GM went with Forged slugs. That does not mean you can not get good results and longevity from the LT1 with boost by using more efficient blowers and chemical cooling to keep the pistons happy. The bottom line is there are guys on this board pushing into the 650whp territory on SBE LT1's and making low 10 and 9 second drag strip passes with no issues. will the engine last 100k miles doing that, I doubt it but I don't think anybody expects a engine to last that long making that kind of power. You guys act like a engine component is fragile if it can only handle 720 fwhp. That is still a lot of power for factory components. We have become spoiled in this day in age on how easy it is to make HP. Now if it was only that easy to put it to the ground without breaking parts.

I do question why GM would limit the HP potential of the LT1 by choosing a piston and ring pack that limits HP production to roughly 720 fly wheel, when the crank/rods can safely handle more. I am sure others think the same thing including Swagger...Perhaps it's because they felt no need to put a 900hp capable piston and ring pack in a engine that's fuel system is limited to 650hp? I do know this has been a ongoing thing with GM going back 20years. GM has always used hyper aluminum slugs, and the crank and rods have always been more capable even in the LS stuff. However guys still make big power on SBE LS3's with FI. The fuel system upgrades are much less expensive of the LS stuff though.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA

Last edited by KingLT1; 10-09-2017 at 11:30 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #31
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
he LT4 in the Zl1/Z06 was designed for road course use and deal with sustained high rpm and the heat from the 1.7 liter supercharger which is probably why GM went with Forged slugs. That does not mean you can not get good results and longevity from the LT1 with boost by using more efficient blowers and chemical cooling to keep the pistons happy. The bottom line is there are guys on this board pushing into the 650whp territory on SBE LT1's and making low 10 and 9 second drag strip passes with no issues. will the engine last 100k miles doing that, I doubt it but I don't think anybody expects a engine to last that long making that kind of power. You guys act like a engine component is fragile if it can only handle 720 fwhp. That is still a lot of power for factory components. We have become spoiled in this day in age on how easy it is to make HP. Now if it was only that easy to put it to the ground without breaking parts.

I do question why GM would limit the HP potential of the LT1 by choosing a piston and ring pack that limits HP production to roughly 720 fly wheel, when the crank/rods can safely handle more. I am sure others think the same thing including Swagger...Perhaps it's because they felt no need to put a 900hp capable piston and ring pack in a engine that's fuel system is limited to 650hp? I do know this has been a ongoing thing with GM going back 20years. GM has always used hyper aluminum slugs, and the crank and rods have always been more capable even in the LS stuff. However guys still make big power on SBE LS3's with FI. The fuel system upgrades are much less expensive of the LS stuff though.
This, sir...is a damn fine answer. I appreciate the insight.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #32
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I don't think anything I said was "Off". The C6Z was a 11:1 compression port fuel injection engine. Big difference from DI far as piston cooling...

LS1/6 LS2/3 all have handled boost just fine upwards of 12psi and pushing over 600whp. They use hyper pistons...it's all in the tune.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:39 AM   #33
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsinternet1le View Post
43k for a 1le plus 15k mods...so close to zl1$$$..
plus a full warranty...

OP, if taking a trade in hit is an issue, will u have sufficient funds for a new motor just in case the modded one goes "boom"? And as we all know ANY motor can go "boom", stock or otherwise.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 AM   #34
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I would disagree with the statement that the rings on the stock piston are fragile. They are fine...just have a very small gap that can cause issues with boost. But only with lots of it for a sustained time. This was explained by 'Pro Charger dude.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #35
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsinternet1le View Post
43k for a 1le plus 15k mods...so close to zl1$$$..
If i didnt buy a 1LE already then way I wouldn’t even ask this question and just get the ZL1 problem is I already have the 1LE so the car isnt 43K anymore... went to car max... my car is in mint condition and just like RPproductions i got an 33K offer.... im not willing to let go of 10K just because... so technically im putting 25K towards the ZL1 not 15K
Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #36
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
plus a full warranty...

OP, if taking a trade in hit is an issue, will u have sufficient funds for a new motor just in case the modded one goes "boom"? And as we all know ANY motor can go "boom", stock or otherwise.
I do but I really dont think it would happen (knock on wood) i really dont want more than 650... at 600 on the dot is more than content... its my daily driver plus i got to mexico alot and roadcourse will be visited more frequently
Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #37
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
If i didnt buy a 1LE already then way I wouldn’t even ask this question and just get the ZL1 problem is I already have the 1LE so the car isnt 43K anymore... went to car max... my car is in mint condition and just like RPproductions i got an 33K offer.... im not willing to let go of 10K just because... so technically im putting 25K towards the ZL1 not 15K
I spent just shy of $8K on turnkey installation Vortech w/ professional tune.

I'm running 9PSI at 6500 RPM, but I'm at 6200 feet altitude, so pretty safe (my uncorrected HP is 475ish to the wheels).

I'd go with the same (small) blower being down near sea level, but with the stock pulley and no more than 7PSI. I'm happy with my Vortech for sure, sounds great, not a lot of gear lash from the head unit etc. it's nice. and Yes, stay at 600 uncorrected (which at your altitude, will also be corrected) HP to the wheels where you are at...that is more than plenty fun IMO. And you'll roast 99.8% of vehicles out there with that.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #38
cheap

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville1LE View Post
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #39
lpe403

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
So...the LT4 pistons are forged for no reason?
For fun
lpe403 is offline   Reply With Quote