Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 10-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Cigarette Accessory Power HELP

Hi guys, I'm looking for recommendations from guys who know their way around electronics and see what you guys suggest in my situation.

I just installed my AEM water meth kit and decided to use the cig accessory as the switched 12v. All is working fine BUT here is my situation. On this kit, there are 3 things that need a switched 12v source (the aem controller, the low-level sensor LED, and the solenoid) I connected all 3 to the cig lighter.

Again all works fine BUT coincidently that weekend I needed to put some air in one of my tires... I came to the surprise that the air pump that comes with the car doesn't turn on... Like the air gauge light turns on but as soon as I press the button to turn on the pump shuts off (the gauge light and all). I tested the pump on another car and its working fine so I know it has to do with my connections.

It does make sense that now the cig accessory doesn't have enough power I mean, darn I put 3 more things on it.

Another thing to note is while daily driving I also connect my radar detector here and I noticed every time my detector beeps the on switch for my Meth kit (which has a bulb to indicate power) dims for the time the radar is beeping.

- So is there a way to fix this?
- Would I have to source another 12v for my meth stuff in order for this to work? Or even distribute each thing to a separate switched 12v.

- On a separate note, would I need to add in inline fuse to the added lines? Please note that the AEM controller has its own fuse, the install instructions have NO mention of adding an inline fuse and I believe its because the controller has its own V regulation, hence why it has a built-in fuse, BUT would you still suggest adding ANOTHER fuse into the line?

Thanks in advance for your comments guys!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Use one of these to a switched circuit in the fuse box, just make sure of your amp draw,
Attached Images

ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
Use one of these to a switched circuit in the fuse box, just make sure of your amp draw,
Thank you, I've seen these before, would you say put all 3 connections to this now in the fuse box? All 3 to 1 connecetion? Wouldnt it give the same result?
Old 10-31-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
If it were me, I'd hard wire your AEM stuff to a add-a-circuit, like posted above. Piggy back on to a 20 or 30A circuit. Put a 10 amp fuse in the piggy-back for your AEM stuff. I bet that will handle it. If no go up in amps till you find a fuse that will handle it.

Leave the cigar lighter for one device at a time.

BTW, my air compressor has alligator clips for attaching to a battery.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
If it were me, I'd hard wire your AEM stuff to a add-a-circuit, like posted above. Piggy back on to a 20 or 30A circuit. Put a 10 amp fuse in the piggy-back for your AEM stuff. I bet that will handle it. If no go up in amps till you find a fuse that will handle it.

Leave the cigar lighter for one device at a time.

BTW, my air compressor has alligator clips for attaching to a battery.
Thank you!!! will definitely look into this.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Mini air compressors won’t work very well with the cigarette lighter, simply because it’s just not enough capacity for the compressor. That’s why As said above, many of the compressors come with battery clip cables, instead of plugging into the cigarette lighter
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
Thank you, I've seen these before, would you say put all 3 connections to this now in the fuse box? All 3 to 1 connecetion? Wouldnt it give the same result?
I ran a HOT wire from my truck all the way to the dash board. Now I have full power for any gadgets I install now and in the future!!
Old 10-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Mini air compressors won’t work very well with the cigarette lighter, simply because it’s just not enough capacity for the compressor. That’s why As said above, many of the compressors come with battery clip cables, instead of plugging into the cigarette lighter
I use the oem one that came with the car... I would think that should be ok.