Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
JGiovando

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE HBM
Motive power bleeder

I know there is a brake section but I needed the exposure here.

I got motive power bleeder model 1118 which I think is the correct model for my Camaro, however I can't get the adapter to fit my reservoir properly and without leaking. I pressure tested per the directions without fluid in the power bleeder and there was a 1-2 psi drop from 15psi over 15 minutes. When I try to pressure the system with brake fluid it overflows/leaks out of the reservoir. Inspecting the adapter it screws on wonky no matter how I try to do it. I'm using the thin rubber gasket as the thicker one won't screw on at all. The adapter is a red machined aluminum cap.

Anyone have a solution, similar problem, etc. Any help greatly appreciated. I'm trying to flush and replace with dot4 and I'm at a loss here.
JGiovando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I think a lot of people don't actually put fluid into the Motive, and just use it for pressure only.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
I have the same cap & it holds at 15 PSI using the thicker gasket.

It is a bitch to get on & only works when the tabs are lined up one way. If yours is leaking, turn the cap 1/3 of a turn & try again.

I marked my cap & reservoir with a sharpie so I can attach the cap correctly every time.

I could not get the plastic cap or the thin gasket to work at all
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
JGiovando

Thanks for the reply. That's a different approach. Doing it without fluid in the power bleeder would surely lead to air in the system. And having to remove it that often to top off the reservoir and make sure it didn't push air in to the system would be a pain in the arse. Maybe I'm missing something.

My main concern is if anyone else has an 1118 adapter and how it fits for them as I can't seem to get mine seated properly and I'm questioning if it is the correct one for our cars.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
JGiovando

Thanks Jsreo, I'll give the thicker gasket another try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsreo View Post
I have the same cap & it holds at 15 PSI using the thicker gasket.

It is a bitch to get on & only works when the tabs are lined up one way. If yours is leaking, turn the cap 1/3 of a turn & try again.

I marked my cap & reservoir with a sharpie so I can attach the cap correctly every time.

I could not get the plastic cap or the thin gasket to work at all
Old 06-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGiovando View Post
Thanks for the reply. That's a different approach. Doing it without fluid in the power bleeder would surely lead to air in the system. And having to remove it that often to top off the reservoir and make sure it didn't push air in to the system would be a pain in the arse. Maybe I'm missing something.

My main concern is if anyone else has an 1118 adapter and how it fits for them as I can't seem to get mine seated properly and I'm questioning if it is the correct one for our cars.
you just have to make sure it stays topped up. I think some people had the hose pop off and spray fluid all over. So they just started using it as pressure. Not from personal experience, but when I was doing some research before ordering a power bleeder
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
JGiovando

I get what your saying, guess I just would be nervous about watching it bleed at the caliper until finished and the reservoir running dry cause it only holds so much. I appreciate the feedback. If I get it figured out I'll post here with an update.

Never had trouble doing it the old fashioned way, just seemed like this might make it easier, so far not so much, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
you just have to make sure it stays topped up. I think some people had the hose pop off and spray fluid all over. So they just started using it as pressure. Not from personal experience, but when I was doing some research before ordering a power bleeder
Old 06-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I've never been able to get my cap to seal properly on my car with either supplied gasket. Motive sent me different caps to try including the metal one. I've even tried the partial turn method but nothing works over 10psi and lucky it that holds for long. Only other thing I can think of is using a gasket thickness that is between the thick and thin, but they don't make one so it would have to be custom. I have speed bleeders now so I can do a pedal bleed by myself if needed
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
JGiovando

Update:

I'm sending this pos back! Tried the thicker gasket again which is more egg shape than round and no luck, still leaks and doesn't seat properly. Had my wife help me the old fashioned way and done in 30 minutes.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't waste your money or time. I'm sure it works for some but in my opinion this thing is garbage.💩

Thanks for the responses
Old 06-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Another option would be to purchase an OEM brake cap, drill a hole in the center and put a brass nipple on it for the hose.

I have a Motive, but haven't used it yet however, I will in a month or so and hope I don't have any problems.

They worked great on my BMW when they first came out, but it seems not so well on GM cars.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
I use it on several cars. Had one years ago that Worked perfectly on an old BMW, past 20 psi. On Honda leaks at 10 PSI, on my Mazda leaks at 7 psi. You can still bleed but it's not fast. The Mazda uses the GM adaptor. I also had issues with both gaskets. made a huge mess the last time I used it, but it works once you know the pressure to use. Keep a close eye out for leaks when you first start using it, brake fluid is nasty stuff. Oh and I used it fresh from the package and it horribly contaminated the brake fluid is n the first use. I would try to run some soapy water then clean water, and let it air dry before you use it.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:56 PM   #12
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
I use the Motive 0108 kit. It includes the 1108 adaptor. This worked on my 2016 2SS and works on my 2018 ZL1. Used it today in fact with the 1820 catch bottle kit with no issues. I filled the pump tank with a bottle of Castrol SRF, attached the adaptor to the master cylinder and pumped the tank up to about 15 PSI. I was able to bled all four calipers on one charge and used 90% of the 1 liter bottle. When done, you very slowly unscrew the tank (not the master cylinder) cap to bleed off the pressure. Then unscrew the adaptor from the master cylinder and raise the hose up higher than the tank to drain any remaining fluid back into the tank. Did not spill a drop today and and did not need to add any fluid to the master cylinder to top it off. I’ve done this a few times so it’s fairly standard for me. First time was not so much fun because I didn’t get the sequence right. The Motive 1820 bottles make it easier to catch and drain the old fluid but is not required if you have clear tubing from your kids old fish tank and a water bottle. Bleeding procedure is found in a lot of threads, but I bleed the RR outside and then inside, then follow the same outside-inside sequence for the LR, RF, and LF.

Here’s what I got from Amazon:
Attached Images

trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #13
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Get a vacuum bleader. You will need a small compressor but they work better.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:53 AM   #14
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Used the Motive 0108 it today it sealed great with the thicker gasket no problem.

I only used it for air pressure and pulled the adapter off a couple times to refill the reservoir.

Full flush of the DOT3 for SRF in preparation for an upcoming track day.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote