Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2020, 03:02 AM   #1
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Pain(t) Question

Today I got my first scratch, small but you all know how we are. It's a 2014 yellow convertible. I went into the trunk and found the sticker with the paint code on it. I've known the color to be called "Bright Yellow" but sometimes it's known as "Lemon Peel" but the numbers are exactly the same- U 131 X, WA131X or Ua131x. I know the dealers the way to go(to buy touch up and clear coat) but does anyone know why colors are called by different names sometimes. I've seen it a few times in other places and they are from the manufacturer(in 2014 it was Bright Yellow now it's Lemon peel. Can anyone school me on this? Hopefully this makes sense, it's late and this scratch is keeping me up!!!
joekono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
The official color name of my Camaro is "Red Hot", however the internal name at Chevy is sometimes used and is "Pull Me Over Red" ... which i found on this barcode sticker under the spoiler when i took it off to clean under it. Chevy would not use that name in the sales brochure.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
The official color name of my Camaro is "Red Hot", however the internal name at Chevy is sometimes used and is "Pull Me Over Red" ... which i found on this barcode sticker under the spoiler when i took it off to clean under it. Chevy would not use that name in the sales brochure.
HAHAHAHAHA "Pull Me Over Red" now that's funny
joekono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
... but does anyone know why colors are called by different names sometimes.
Because marketing departments and focus groups are a thing and they realized that names matter to sales. "Red" isn't as sexy as "Inferno Red" and evokes different imaging and emotions.

Same for any paints. "Campfire glow" or "desert sunrise" aren't very descriptive of what color they actually are, but will sell better then actual color names. They evoke associations that really have nothing to do with paint but sell paint none-the-less. Simple color names are also perceived as cheaper or lower class. "Summit White" is perceived as higher quality then "White" alone.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Well actually "Victory Red", my car's color, is not the same red as "Red Hot". You'd probably need to park the cars aside one another to tell though. And I think Corvette colors are unique to that car.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote