Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Thank you and question

First, I want to thank everyone who gave me their opinions on questions I asked with this being my first real "baby". I worked for a company for 25 years that gave us company vehicles and my wife has her Jeep and I haven't been in the "car club" for a while. Thanks again everyone, you have helped me a great deal and I never realized how much has changed in 20 or so years in the auto field. The love and feeling that you get never leaves you, Bad mood, take a drive in the Camaro. Bad mood finished. Unfortunately, I live in the NE and it's time to pack up the car in the garage but with summer tires on it, when is soon? Looks like they tell you not to drive under 40 degrees which sounds about right. I was just wondering because I'm not ready to put her away yet. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by joekono; 11-03-2019 at 01:44 AM. Reason: None
joekono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I have a winter set of tires on the factory rims. I put my drag tires on some Z28 chrome reps. In winter my car is mostly put away but if the roads are clean, I can take it out. I usually get to drive it 3 or 4 times during the season. The drag radials come inside the house for the temperature control.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:49 AM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Believe it or not,I do just the opposit. In Florida,aka the sunshine state,summers are brutal and long. Parking lots are like ovens. The car runs "ok" in the heat but in the cooler air is where it shines. I do take it out on short runs during the summer to keep all the systems functioning properly. Seems no one lives in the perfect world...
Old 11-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
It depends on the individual tire manufacturers recommendations, I have driven supposedly summer only tires right through winters, I have also driven all season performance radials, right now I am on extreme contact conti's which are supposed to be able to take it down to freezing...You most likely on Pirelli's which of the tires I have tried suck the worst for thins but they are what they are.... Some of us don't park our rides we have to drive them.... now when snow comes that's winter beater time....
Old 11-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #5
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
I live in the same state but don't put it away. I drive it in the 20s with the summer tires. YOU HAVE to take it easy. Drive it like its in the rain. Just letting the clutch out in the 20s spins the wheels sometimes. The tires are almost done and cant wait to put some all seasons on them. Just don't go crazy and you can still drive it fine.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I lived in PA for many years with my Camaro and I too packed my Camaro away during salty road months. However, if the temps warmed up enough to rain and clean the roads off I would bring the car back out again, even on days less than 40 degrees. It was fine. Just don't romp on the gas too hard and you won't spin. If you were in a ZL1 that would get a little extra squirrelly, but in a SS you should be fine.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Although I live in a desert area and never put my car up, it does get down into the 30's at night and through the early morning during the winter months; I run summer tires and never have a problem. Like other's said, you just have to drive a little more carefully, especially when you first start off and the tires are cold. Now if it was getting down to below the 30's or if there was snow on the ground, I would either put mine up or run, at a minimum, run all season tires during those periods.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I put it away once they salt the roads. I have road course tires on mine just take it easy until they warm up they still get ok traction at 45 degrees if they have been driven on for a while. I don't go cranking around corners though.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
All I know is I drove mine at -8 last year on bfg sport comp 2’s and it wasn’t terrible but it would spin the tires pretty easily. The car runs amazing at those temps. Heated seats were quite nice. I put mine away this year but I’m sure it’ll come out several times before spring comes around.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote