#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
LT4 PCV - Re-Design

Hey Team... As most of you LT4 owners have already found out... the stock PCV system is not effective at keeping oil out of the blower... I was SHOCKED at how saturated my 2,200 mile blower looked!!! With my motor out of the car now, Katech cast covers on hand, and a MM catch can, i am wondering what other changes people have made to improve the system?

Has anyone removed the "black box" oil separator? Does the CC replace this by design? Open to make any changes that make sense with the motor in pieces...
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Hey Team... As most of you LT4 owners have already found out... the stock PCV system is not effective at keeping oil out of the blower... I was SHOCKED at how saturated my 2,200 mile blower looked!!! With my motor out of the car now, Katech cast covers on hand, and a MM catch can, i am wondering what other changes people have made to improve the system?

Has anyone removed the "black box" oil separator? Does the CC replace this by design? Open to make any changes that make sense with the motor in pieces...

Add a catch can bud. The black box is for fresh air from intake tube and one side of the cover for crankcase. Catch can is going to recirculate via vacuum and catch the oil.

Get a MM if your adding any sort of power as it will remove the PCV completely from the base of the SC. (wild can) Or the elite can, both good, but i like the MM better myself.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
Crusher Camaro

Drives: 19 ZL1
He already has one to install with his mods.

Socal,
I installed the MM and left the oem system in place for the time being.
When I install my Motion Race Works valve covers, I will be installing one of there catch cans and disabling the OEM (remove the lines and plug the can). I will leave the can and the one line that goes to the oil pan as I cannot find a plug for the oil pan tube. I will also remove the MM can. The dual valve cover dash 8-10 lines to the motion system will be more than enough ventilation and will be more than the oem and MM system.
Yes, I give up the vacuum side to pull out of the engine with the MM system, but this isn't my daily driver. it gets driven hard and oils changed more than others.

one down side, I may end up with more smell after the car shuts off as the crane case is open the atmosphere through the can/filter.
Crusher Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:05 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Your MM can should serve you well without having to mess with the stock system.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:35 PM   #5
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher Camaro View Post
He already has one to install with his mods.

Socal,
I installed the MM and left the oem system in place for the time being.
When I install my Motion Race Works valve covers, I will be installing one of there catch cans and disabling the OEM (remove the lines and plug the can). I will leave the can and the one line that goes to the oil pan as I cannot find a plug for the oil pan tube. I will also remove the MM can. The dual valve cover dash 8-10 lines to the motion system will be more than enough ventilation and will be more than the oem and MM system.
Yes, I give up the vacuum side to pull out of the engine with the MM system, but this isn't my daily driver. it gets driven hard and oils changed more than others.

one down side, I may end up with more smell after the car shuts off as the crane case is open the atmosphere through the can/filter.

I don't think you understand what I am saying...

The box needs to stay in place for clean air which enters via intake, into passenger valve cover.

If you remove this, then you need to make sure filtered air enters the crankcase somehow.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:35 AM   #6
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Check out this new product from LME
https://latemodelengines.com/ls-bill...luN24B9.PMjQnJ
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:48 PM   #7
Crusher Camaro

Drives: 19 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
I don't think you understand what I am saying...
The box needs to stay in place for clean air which enters via intake, into passenger valve cover.
If you remove this, then you need to make sure filtered air enters the crankcase somehow.
I follow you, don't disagree, just saying he already has a MM to install.

When I install the motion setup, there is not vacuum on the crank case.
the motion setup allows the engine to breath through a filters catch can pressure out and fresh air in as needed. pretty much making the OEM system not needed for my application.
Crusher Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote