Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #1
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Collectors Edition SS 1LE…

Owned a Challenger Hellcat. Just too big and too easy to get arrested. The “more fun to drive a slower car fast than a fast car slow” applied in my case since I didn’t plan to track it. Always been a Chevy <Camaro> guy, but wife encouraged me to pump the brakes on a yellow ZL1 and look at Challenger. Fortunately, thanks to the strong resale market, I was lucky enough to order and own one for a driving season yet still break even in the end.

The car I should’ve ordered at the time was a bright yellow SS 1LE. Plenty of car for me, great look, and sounds like they are great fun to drive. Tough, tough market out there compared to the 2020 dodge. Wow… Found a dealer that claimed GM would pick up my sold order on a black car @MSRP. Nearly pulling the trigger when I hear whispers about a final send off collectors edition car in,,,, yellow!

Dealer thinks we can snag one in my preferred trim (based on production of 2000 CE units spread across the trim levels), but of course, these choices do not show in the order system. The present sellers market does make it a little easier to be patient, but I won’t pay over MSRP for a luxury item, ever. Even if it’s my ‘white whale’- a new SS 1LE in bright yellow.

The problem started when I sold my yellow 70’ in 1991. I am surely being punished…
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:16 PM   #2
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
I'd be surprised if there really is a collectors edition at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut it off after a low production 2023 model year. It's kind of annoying, I'll be buying a car 6 model years newer than my current and it is basically the same car. They don't want to spend anything upgrading this platform because it's not where the money is. I suppose slapping a new color and some badges would fit the budget, but where did this rumor even get started?

I'm just going to try and order a 23 if my dealer gets an allocation. If by some chance there is a collectors edition in 24 maybe I can cut my losses and trade up.

On the bright side, neither I nor your dealer really has any clue. Hopefully they decide to release something, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Gonna snag one while, or maybe more like if, I can.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
cooldawg

It is annoying. Dodge at least incentivized sales with big rebates when they didn’t invest in the product line.

GM executive leadership is lame. Of course they all seem to prioritize what the government wants them to prioritize instead of what customers actually want. Seems to me there would be a demand for V8 coupes far into the future. They are more reliable and really more fun than muscle cars of the past.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
Twizzty
$$$$...$$...$$$...$$$$...

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I'm not going to go all bird in the hand on you but...I'd go with the black car now and wrap it the most beautiful yellow you've ever seen, think if it like PPF'n the entire car. No ADM on car wraps either, lol.
2021 CX-5 Carbon Turbo AWD
Twizzty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:40 PM   #5
cooldawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzty View Post
I'm not going to go all bird in the hand on you but...I'd go with the black car now and wrap it the most beautiful yellow you've ever seen, think if it like PPF'n the entire car. No ADM on car wraps either, lol.
I get it. Bird in the hand did enter my mind, but I’m bullheaded. Part of the reason I purchased the dodge was because they were eager to win my business via the big rebate and build exactly what I wanted.

Mary B seems to be conveying just the opposite- we’ll build what Brandon wants us to build. Take it or leave it. They don’t need the Camaro enthusiasts given the C8 craziness.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
Twizzty
$$$$...$$...$$$...$$$$...

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I agree with everything you said and you're right, it's all working against you at this particular time...completely sucks. From everything I'm reading though the market is softening and should normalize by 3rd or 4th quarter of 2023...maybe just in time for special edition to be available and bought at MSRP.

Either way I don't envy the decision you have to make and wish you the best in making it.
2021 CX-5 Carbon Turbo AWD
Twizzty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldawg View Post
Owned a Challenger Hellcat. Just too big and too easy to get arrested. The “more fun to drive a slower car fast than a fast car slow” applied in my case since I didn’t plan to track it. Always been a Chevy <Camaro> guy, but wife encouraged me to pump the brakes on a yellow ZL1 and look at Challenger. Fortunately, thanks to the strong resale market, I was lucky enough to order and own one for a driving season yet still break even in the end.

The car I should’ve ordered at the time was a bright yellow SS 1LE. Plenty of car for me, great look, and sounds like they are great fun to drive. Tough, tough market out there compared to the 2020 dodge. Wow… Found a dealer that claimed GM would pick up my sold order on a black car @MSRP. Nearly pulling the trigger when I hear whispers about a final send off collectors edition car in,,,, yellow!

Dealer thinks we can snag one in my preferred trim (based on production of 2000 CE units spread across the trim levels), but of course, these choices do not show in the order system. The present sellers market does make it a little easier to be patient, but I won’t pay over MSRP for a luxury item, ever. Even if it’s my ‘white whale’- a new SS 1LE in bright yellow.

The problem started when I sold my yellow 70’ in 1991. I am surely being punished…
In November 2015, I was on my third Challenger. My passion growing up has been Chevy (Corvette, Camaro, Monte Carlo, Impala, El Camino etc.), but at the time, the Camaro was significantly more expensive than the Challenger. I longed for an SS convertible and said to myself that someday I would purchase one.

It was Thanksgiving weekend, the 5th generation production was done and the availability was dwindling. I decided that I had to make the finances work and with the help of the wonderful sales management at Kirkland Chevrolet in WA, I was able to trade my 2014 Challenger for a new 2015 Camaro SS convertible Commemorative Edition. I was lucky, because there were only about 2,700 built and I never looked back. It's by far, the vehicle that I've owned the longest.

I too have regrets of vehicles that I sold (1962 Fleetside and 1975 Monte Carlo), but the Camaro more than males up for it.

I've been wanting a 2.0T 6-speed as a second Camaro. I hope to purchase a 2024 Collector's Edition, but with only 2,000 total, I'm certain there will be mark-ups and I refuse to pay above sticker. We'll see what happens.

I wish you the best and hope your purchase happens.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2022, 09:11 PM   #8
Grimlock212

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 1LE, Volvo V70R
I think the odds of there being a special end of the run collector's edition is about 5% (that’s probably too optimistic). If you want an SS 1LE, I’d search your region for a car in transport that is close to what you want and try to make a deal. Even placing an order now is very risky. Lots of stuff is back ordered, and they had even stopped all 1LE production for a pretty big chunk of time. If you want one, I’d try to find one now that exists. You’ll likely be very disappointed if you hold out for a special edition or even try to order a basic SS 1LE at this point.
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:38 PM   #9
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
I think the odds of there being a special end of the run collector's edition is about 5% (that’s probably too optimistic). If you want an SS 1LE, I’d search your region for a car in transport that is close to what you want and try to make a deal. Even placing an order now is very risky. Lots of stuff is back ordered, and they had even stopped all 1LE production for a pretty big chunk of time. If you want one, I’d try to find one now that exists. You’ll likely be very disappointed if you hold out for a special edition or even try to order a basic SS 1LE at this point.
If you research Corvette and Camaro history, there's always an end of a generation special edition.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:25 AM   #10
22LT1Camaro

Drives: 22 LT1
Quote:
Mary B seems to be conveying just the opposite- we’ll build what Brandon wants us to build. Take it or leave it. They don’t need the Camaro enthusiasts given the C8 craziness.
Is a shame -- the Camaro is supposedly the vehicle that sparked Mary B's childhood interest in cars; I'm surprised she is giving it the axe.
22LT1Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I get it. Bird in the hand did enter my mind, but I’m bullheaded. Part of the reason I purchased the dodge was because they were eager to win my business via the big rebate and build exactly what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22LT1Camaro View Post
Is a shame -- the Camaro is supposedly the vehicle that sparked Mary B's childhood interest in cars; I'm surprised she is giving it the axe.
I generally agree, but will also add that you guys overestimate the actual power a CEO wields. She can't unilaterally control what happens at the company, if she resists The Voices, all she gets is the boot.

Does that fully exonarete her? No, but also no big public corporation can be steered by a single individual unless he acquires the majority of the shares or manages to flip the company back to private.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22LT1Camaro View Post
On one hand you have nostalgia. On the other hand you have profit and loss. CEO Mary B will spend more time worrying about the P&L hand than the nostalgic Mary will spend looking at what was. Plus she more than likely has any vintage Camaro she wants where she can lay hands on them.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Anything the dealer says should be withh a grain of salt. They don't really know anything and in a lot of cases we know before they do
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:11 AM   #14
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
At this point all 6th gens should be considered ”Collector’s Edition”.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote