Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #1
wbcamaro6

Drives: Chevy Camaro
personally, have you deleted AFM or kept it ?

Hey guys, I'm a college student (major Instrumentation & electrical) who recently had his Camaro built and I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the AFM and failures. Since my pockets aren't as deep ( yet) as most of the older member I wanted to maintain the unit as long as possible and get the best bang for my buck. With that being said could anybody share some advice or personal experience dealing with the AFM ?
wbcamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
AFM - Active Fuel Management aka "DOD" Displacement on Demand

When I had my upgrades installed and tuned for E85 they disabled the AFM. Car is always in V8 mode now.

Gas mileage wise very little changed before and after my upgrades.

Do you need it? Not really. Should you disable it? Not unless you run upgrades/E85 flex fuel.

Its really up to you honestly. If that is all you do to your car, then I would say don't waste your money. Otherwise it will get disabled when you install an upgrade that requires the car to be tuned.

That said I'm sure other more knowledgeable members will comment shortly to give you better advice than I may have.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:45 PM   #3
wbcamaro6

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
AFM - Active Fuel Management aka "DOD" Displacement on Demand

When I had my upgrades installed and tuned for E85 they disabled the AFM. Car is always in V8 mode now.

Gas mileage wise very little changed before and after my upgrades.

Do you need it? Not really. Should you disable it? Not unless you run upgrades/E85 flex fuel.

Its really up to you honestly. If that is all you do to your car, then I would say don't waste your money. Otherwise it will get disabled when you install an upgrade that requires the car to be tuned.

That said I'm sure other more knowledgeable members will comment shortly to give you better advice than I may have.
Thank you for taking time to answer my question, I appreciate it !
wbcamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
It's permanently disabled on my 6-speed LT-1...

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:15 PM   #5
shoe5163

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS
2017 65000 can't tell when turn off but know the power is there when I want it. I like 24 to 29 mpg. Some have had real issues with it I must have got a good one.
shoe5163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:55 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Had it turned off in my v6. Had the dealership do the TSB and flush the trans and after a year the shudder came back. Way out of warranty and I already was tuned so in my tune revision I asked him to turn it off. No issues since
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:48 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
afm 'failures' i don't think are a real issue. some owners just feel offended by it even though it has no impact on performance if it is tuned out or not. transmission shudder is independent but the lower line pressure when in v4 mode makes that problem more apparent. it doesn't cause it though, if it is happening the problem is just a matter of time till it impacts the tc at normal trans pressures. you may get lucky though and manage to delay it for long enough to get a new car. water in the trans fluid causes it to slip and shudder and may have already varnished a tc if a flush is done too late or the issue was handled prior to 2019.

trifecta let's be turn it on and off on the fly while driving. i leave it off if I'm cruising with the windows down and just listening to the car. on when I'm highway driving with cruise control.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:33 PM   #8
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
stock here. i cannot even tell when it's in v4 mode. smooth as butter.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #9
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
MY opinion is that it’s a overly complicated system, with very little benefit, that invites potential failures. At non highway speeds, I can always hear the switch from V4 to V8 (engine or exhaust tone). I personally think AFM sucks, but hey…that’s just me.

I bought a Range AFM disabler and all is right with the world.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:22 PM   #10
Ron2ss

Drives: 2020 2ss vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
MY opinion is that it’s a overly complicated system, with very little benefit, that invites potential failures. At non highway speeds, I can always hear the switch from V4 to V8 (engine or exhaust tone). I personally think AFM sucks, but hey…that’s just me.

Ditto
Ron2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:19 AM   #11
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Another reason I enjoy my manual. Less likelihood of lifter failure from the AFM/DOD that's programmed in autos.

Although not eliminated the risk is greatly reduced.

In the few autos I've ridden in you couldn't tell at cruising speeds the difference between 4 and 8. When the power was needed, it was there.

IMHO, Save your money for a tune that deletes it at a later date.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:46 AM   #12
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcamaro6 View Post
Hey guys, I'm a college student (major Instrumentation & electrical) who recently had his Camaro built and I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the AFM and failures. Since my pockets aren't as deep ( yet) as most of the older member I wanted to maintain the unit as long as possible and get the best bang for my buck. With that being said could anybody share some advice or personal experience dealing with the AFM ?
AFM failure is nothing to worry about. Most cars with it never have any problem at all and I think the "problem" has been a bit exageratted.

So just enjoy your car and don't worry about it at all.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:44 AM   #13
Antab22

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post

Which range disabler did you buy? I’m looking into getting one as well.
Antab22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:11 AM   #14
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antab22 View Post
Which range disabler did you buy? I’m looking into getting one as well.
This is the one I ordered… As luck would have it, they had a 20% off sale 2days after I received mine. Order direct from Range Technology, you’ll have better warrantee service (if needed) and free software updates ( again, if needed)
Attached Images

Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote