#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-24-2022, 08:15 PM   #15
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
8 years from model year date of the car until first smog, every 2 years after that I believe.

Op, I'm hear in socal with similar upgrades that you're looking at. Your ever wanna hear and see how it feels, wouldn't mind getting together for a drive with some other camaros in the area
I’m in for a drive, and also to get your smog guys phone number
Old 01-24-2022, 08:24 PM   #16
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post

Hahahah shhhh!!!!
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:31 AM   #17
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Ha I still have 4 years, hopefully they're still around then
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:47 AM   #18
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Hey There...

Im still breaking in my ZLE and while I slowly rack up the miles, and follow the process, i wanted some feedback on a mild build plan.

WANT: More Noise + More Reliable Power.

POTENTIAL PLAN A: Rotofab + AWE Touring catback + E85 FlexFuel Kit + ATI Overdrive Damper.

QUESTION.1: How much am I leaving on the table by hold on Long Tubes? I dont want the car to be too loud.

QUESTION.2: What can I expect with PLAN.A RWHP?

QUESTION.3: What else should be on my radar? Catch Can? Plugs? Ported TB? Kong SC?

Thanks in Advance
If you are not worried about smog, I would do Rotofab intake, E85 sensor, Kooks 2" long tube headers with cats into the stock NPP exhaust. Skip the AWE. And then of course, a tune.

With the long tubes and NPP, you will have the best of both worlds; quiet when cruising, loud when you get on it.

As far the ATI damper, I'm not a big fan of dampers unless its a max effort build.

I have just a regular SS with LT1, and I picked up over 40 hp with just E85. Your car should pick up more being supercharged.

Rotofab is usually good for 10 to 15.

But headers make a huge difference; not just in peak power but extending the power and torque curves.

Headers on my car picked up about 25 peak hp but was about the same peak tq. The big difference with the headers was massively extending the upper rpm hp and tq curves after 5000 rpm and much more area under the curves. At 6500 rpm on stock manifolds and tuned, my SS was at 350 hp and 290 tq. After headers at that same rpm and tuned, it was 410 hp and 330 tq. That's 60 hp and 40 tq difference at the same upper rpm.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:26 AM   #19
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
If you are not worried about smog, I would do Rotofab intake, E85 sensor, Kooks 2" long tube headers with cats into the stock NPP exhaust. Skip the AWE. And then of course, a tune.

With the long tubes and NPP, you will have the best of both worlds; quiet when cruising, loud when you get on it.

As far the ATI damper, I'm not a big fan of dampers unless its a max effort build.

I have just a regular SS with LT1, and I picked up over 40 hp with just E85. Your car should pick up more being supercharged.

Rotofab is usually good for 10 to 15.

But headers make a huge difference; not just in peak power but extending the power and torque curves.

Headers on my car picked up about 25 peak hp but was about the same peak tq. The big difference with the headers was massively extending the upper rpm hp and tq curves after 5000 rpm and much more area under the curves. At 6500 rpm on stock manifolds and tuned, my SS was at 350 hp and 290 tq. After headers at that same rpm and tuned, it was 410 hp and 330 tq. That's 60 hp and 40 tq difference at the same upper rpm.
Great feedback! Thanks for sharing… So then I’ll plan to do headers first and see how I like it before considering the AWE set up. As for the headers, considering this is a mild build, should I get the 2”?
Also, don’t all those bolt ins and E85 require a tune?
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #20
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
8 years from model year date of the car until first smog, every 2 years after that I believe.

Op, I'm hear in socal with similar upgrades that you're looking at. Your ever wanna hear and see how it feels, wouldn't mind getting together for a drive with some other camaros in the area

I'm in for a drive too Aaron. I'm getting tired of driving the Blackwing (will be taking it to OC Autobahn on 02/06) . The ZLE needs some exercise.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:18 AM   #21
Evansa22

Yes e85 requires a tune at the very least to turn it on in the ecu. Really anything outside of a cat back, intake, and throttle body would need a tune. Also a tune would benefit any mods to make the most of them.

Headers aren't bad to install and could be done in a day on jackstands. You'll be able to run a good amount of ethanol, and make some good power. A ported throttle body is a good idea, I actually have one sitting in the garage you could "borrow" in case I ever need it back.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:23 AM   #22
Evansa22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
I'm in for a drive too Aaron. I'm getting tired of driving the Blackwing (will be taking it to OC Autobahn on 02/06) . The ZLE needs some exercise.
Haha the turbo spool fun only lasts so long. I might be able to make it out, but really want to hit the mountains and desert, not the beach. I'm down for getting something together. Maybe I'll post up something in CA section.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #23
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Haha the turbo spool fun only lasts so long. I might be able to make it out, but really want to hit the mountains and desert, not the beach. I'm down for getting something together. Maybe I'll post up something in CA section.
Let us know if you do!
Old 01-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #24
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Great feedback! Thanks for sharing… So then I’ll plan to do headers first and see how I like it before considering the AWE set up. As for the headers, considering this is a mild build, should I get the 2”?
Also, don’t all those bolt ins and E85 require a tune?
Oh yes, you definitely need to get a tune.

And for header size, I would do 2" since your car is supercharged. But 1 7/8 size would be fine also.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
Those mods require a tune and a tune is an automatic fail here in CA now. Makes me sick.
Yup. That's my understanding. What I'm still foggy about is the flash count, and if that matters. I was almost hoping my '16 Sonic needed a smog this year, but it didn't, so I don't yet know.

Quote:
No, from what I understand once you tune, you've essentially cracked the oem pcm.

And its every 2 years after the first 5 years. I can't recall off the top of my head but my older cars are every 2 years.
I think it's 8-years. My '16 Sonic wasn't required to smog this year, so I think it's 8.

Quote:
8 years from model year date of the car until first smog, every 2 years after that I believe...
this

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:13 PM   #26
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Yup. That's my understanding. What I'm still foggy about is the flash count, and if that matters. I was almost hoping my '16 Sonic needed a smog this year, but it didn't, so I don't yet know.
From my understanding, speaking with my smog guy is if it was something (flash/update) performed by dealer, it get tied into your Vin and its not really overwriting the entire pcm. But like you said, since it's relatively new, there is some confusion going around.

I hate that bs rule!!!
Old 01-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #27
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
From my understanding, speaking with my smog guy is if it was something (flash/update) performed by dealer, it get tied into your Vin and its not really overwriting the entire pcm. But like you said, since it's relatively new, there is some confusion going around.

I hate that bs rule!!!
If the flash does matter, those of us keeping these cars are going to have to get PCMs, lol...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:22 PM   #28
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
If the flash does matter, those of us keeping these cars are going to have to get PCMs, lol...
Ecu/pcm whatever u want to call them.
Or other means.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...fications/amp/

I doubt hp tuners or many others are carb certified.