The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 06-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Just trying to help.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
route66

Drives: 66 coupe 78 pace car 2014 coupe
Original Question

To get this back to the original post does anyone get 2 different readings on there oil dipstick from side to side. When I check mine on one side it shows full and on the other side it shows 1/2 quart low. To confirm reading I rotated the dipstick 1/2 turn checked again and got the same readings.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
To get this back to the original post does anyone get 2 different readings on there oil dipstick from side to side. When I check mine on one side it shows full and on the other side it shows 1/2 quart low. To confirm reading I rotated the dipstick 1/2 turn checked again and got the same readings.
just checked mine this morn, and looked for this, no it reads same on both sides....I would think a simple 360 rotation would give you the same reading both sides...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
route66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
just checked mine this morn, and looked for this, no it reads same on both sides....I would think a simple 360 rotation would give you the same reading both sides...
I would like to think this is also true but if I rotate the stick it again reads full on one side and 1/2 quart low on the other side. Engine side reads full fender side reads 1/2 quart low. Other posts from owners above confirm that they also have this issue of 2 different readings.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #19
Glen e

sorry mis -wrote that - clean off the stick, put it back in and rotate the handle a few times and pull it out and recheck - it reads same on both sides...good enuf for me...obviously the stick is entering the oil level area at an angle

Last edited by Glen e; 06-27-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #20
hamothare

Drives: stingray
I have checked with many C7 owners and they all claim it shows full on one side and half on the other side of the stick. There has to be a answer.
hamothare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #21
Glen e

there is an answer; it goes in at angle....take the high side as the reading....
Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #22
route66

Since I started this post out of concern about the 2 readings and then had my 1st oil change my readings have stayed at the full mark on both sides of the stick since then.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #23
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
I don't know why this is confusing. The owner's manual basically says that (for a Z51) you should be a half quart high when competitive driving. After you're done, you remove that extra half quart.

The dipstick has "full" one one side, and a half quart low on the other. When you do competitive driving, you use the other side of the stick to measure your oil. It's a convenience thing.

If you're not in a Z51, you ignore the other side of the stick.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote