Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
Iroc-ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #505
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
The o.p described his problem as a whine. Gm would not have replaced the blower for a snout rattle. . You guys and you sbout rattles..lol.
What do you suggest ?
Iroc-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
Recently (past week), I've noticed a weird noise when starting up my ZL1. It doesn't happen all the time, but majority of the time it does. I usually start my car up 5-6 times/day since it's my daily driver (morning, lunch, going home). The sound it makes almost sounds like a whine or a whirring sound, a couple times it even sounded like half of an ambulance siren (weird I know). Does anybody know what this could be? Valve lifters? I thought the cold weather had something to do with it but it doesn't get colder than 55 degrees here in Socal I was thinking of taking it to the dealership this weekend to see what's up

We apologize for the frustrations that you are currently experiencing. Please let us know when they get the part in to repair the issue.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #31
Nailn it

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Quote:
The o.p described his problem as a whine. Gm would not have replaced the blower for a snout rattle. . You guys and you sbout rattles..lol.
Mine whines too, I love it!! Probably because I have over 14 lbs of boost. Lol
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #32
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
At idle..?? Lol

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #33
Nailn it

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Quote:
At idle..?? Lol
Nah, she starts just off Idle all the way through redline. If mine whined at idle, it would have been replaced, if I were to keep it stock, mine had nowhere near enough power stock. My suggestion: remove it, grease needle bearings port the snout, and supercharger, add a cam, super chiller, exhaust and tune it. Then let it whine till it lets go. Then replace as needed. It's a bad ass car stock, but they have it way restricted. It can be so much more. If I had a problem like the op I would have a new supercharger installed. Just scares me somebody told him they need to drop the engine. I would check their credentials. I had a ton of mods done never ever dropped the engine. That scares me. Dealers, by nature are not very performance car informed. There used to working on stock Vettes and volts!!
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #34
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
The dealership will lower the cradle to get the blower off.. its not a big deal this car is a WALK IN THE PARK to work on compared to a vette.

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #35
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We apologize for the frustrations that you are currently experiencing. Please let us know when they get the part in to repair the issue.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon, here is a quick update and maybe you can follow up on this thread so that all of us on C5 can know what's going:

I picked up my car yesterday (Friday) after the dealership had it all week long. The service tech called me and said that they took a look at the 4 ZL1's they had on the showroom floor and started them up and the head service tech for the ZR1's & ZL1's definitely said that my blower had a problem and needed to be replaced. So they were going to order the part from the LA warehouse or from back east and it was a 2 day install. Well the service tech said that after further analysis and calling GM they talked to some engineers at the head plant as well as the service area manager for Chevy and apparently GM is aware of the problem on some of these TVS 1900 Blowers on our ZL1's. Rather than replace my defective blower with parts off the shelf that may also be defective, GM is currently working on a solution for a new part that should be installed. I'm not sure if this will justify a full blown recall (maybe Brandon can update us with this info), but bottom line is they are working on the situation.

They released the car to me after talking with the engineers who said it's fine to drive the way it is (just don't do any drag racing ). Anyway, I'm glad to have the car back, but kinda bummed that the issue still isn't resolved after being without the car a whole week

2012 ZL1 Coupe (M6) #80 (SOLD)

2007 Ducati 1098 (SOLD)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Track/Race Only )
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #36
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the update. I hope you get it resolved. I'm curious as to what the "fix" will be? I visited mine at the dealer today sitting on two jackstands! I hope to have it back next week.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #37
IcePick06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
Thanks for the update. I hope you get it resolved. I'm curious as to what the "fix" will be? I visited mine at the dealer today sitting on two jackstands! I hope to have it back next week.
What are you getting done?

2007 Ducati 1098 (SOLD)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
I heard a strange noise on start-up but found out it was just my heart racing.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #39
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Thanks Brandon, here is a quick update and maybe you can follow up on this thread so that all of us on C5 can know what's going:

I picked up my car yesterday (Friday) after the dealership had it all week long. The service tech called me and said that they took a look at the 4 ZL1's they had on the showroom floor and started them up and the head service tech for the ZR1's & ZL1's definitely said that my blower had a problem and needed to be replaced. So they were going to order the part from the LA warehouse or from back east and it was a 2 day install. Well the service tech said that after further analysis and calling GM they talked to some engineers at the head plant as well as the service area manager for Chevy and apparently GM is aware of the problem on some of these TVS 1900 Blowers on our ZL1's. Rather than replace my defective blower with parts off the shelf that may also be defective, GM is currently working on a solution for a new part that should be installed. I'm not sure if this will justify a full blown recall (maybe Brandon can update us with this info), but bottom line is they are working on the situation.

They released the car to me after talking with the engineers who said it's fine to drive the way it is (just don't do any drag racing ). Anyway, I'm glad to have the car back, but kinda bummed that the issue still isn't resolved after being without the car a whole week
We certainly apologize for any frustrations. We do not have any information in regards to any recalls regarding this situation as each vehicle concern is treated on a case by case basis.

At this point, the best thing to do is to let me know when they get this resolved for you.

Brandon
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #40
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
CTS-V owners have been complaining about this for years. I understood they were supposed to switch to a solid bushing on the ZL1!? Long read here but the short of it is, GM say's it's normal and to deal with it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...er-rattle.html

Some good video in that thread too so you can hear what people are describing. My V doesn't do it but I only have 4k miles...may be inevitable.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #41
IcePick06

*UPDATE* On Supercharger Noise

*UPDATE* The dealership called me last week and said the part arrived and I could bring it in this Friday so they could do a 1 day turn around time. Sadly, yesterday the noise became so loud and constant (would not go away after startup) that driving around was completely embarrassing. Here I am in this blacked out and sick looking car which is dropped and looks mean as hell and draws all kinds of attention and it sounds like an old station wagon. The supercharger is definitely screwed, so I dropped it off this morning at Connell chevy and we'll see what they say. On another note, I watched the retard who drove my car around the back stall my engine Why do they have these guys handle cars they know they shouldn't even be sitting in?!

2007 Ducati 1098 (SOLD)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
*UPDATE* The dealership called me last week and said the part arrived and I could bring it in this Friday so they could do a 1 day turn around time. Sadly, yesterday the noise became so loud and constant (would not go away after startup) that driving around was completely embarrassing. Here I am in this blacked out and sick looking car which is dropped and looks mean as hell and draws all kinds of attention and it sounds like an old station wagon. The supercharger is definitely screwed, so I dropped it off this morning at Connell chevy and we'll see what they say. On another note, I watched the retard who drove my car around the back stall my engine Why do they have these guys handle cars they know they shouldn't even be sitting in?!

He was probably terrifed with you "scoping him out" while moving the car! I don't blame you.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote