Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
cfabrizio

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1
New to forced induction...need some direction

Took delivery of a '17 Nightfall Gray 2ss and am absolutely in love with this car. I was planning on splitting my driving between this and my Yukon but the Yukon hasn't moved in weeks....can't give up pushing this new car down the road.

While I love the performance of this car and it has been more than what I expected, my addictive personality and always looking for the next rush has me planning to take this car to the next level. I have gone cross eyed researching SCs and pro chargers and am looking for some true advise or thoughts from people who have true world knowledge.

So the long of it is, I want to be quicker and faster. What is the performance difference between pro charger and a supercharger and what would be the benefit of going with one over the other? If I decided to go the SC route, would you go with Whipple or Magnuson....or someone else?

Also, what is reliability like once the systems are added on? I think my 2ss will be my daily driver.

I guess I should add that I am not going to a track or strip for racing. I just want to be able to come out of some turns or line up on an open road and stand on the throttle and just go......quick and fast is the end goal. Plus, I have fallen in love with the SCs whine.

Thanks for reading all of this and any info is greatly appreciated.
cfabrizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
nick_casper

Drives: 16 2SS
All of the supercharger kits will make similiar top end power. You will get more low end out of a PD than a centri but in the real world that equates to wheel spin instead of acceleration. The centris ( like Procharger ) may actually have a slight advantage in the 1/4 mile and are much easier to install / remove. The PD blowers have instant power and they "feel" faster in everyday driving. You don't really know you have a centri until you punch it. All of the PD units for our cars are very quiet and the centrifugal has a pronounced whine. The PD's look somewhat factory and the centri's look added on. The centri requires occasional oil changes, the PD are good for 100k or so between maint. Each has it's plus and minuses but from your OP I think you would probably be most happy with the Procharger centri. I run the Whipple and love it but it costs several thousand more and is more for the sleeper appproach. On stock tires any of the kits will give you billowing smoke on demand.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
DevBlackSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
The ProCharger supercharger powers the fastest 6gen

I went with procharger's centri supercharger. I daily drive my car. The car drives stock until you put your foot in it. Adding any of these systems would require some new tires also lol. 1st and most of 2nd gear were useless on the stock tires. Cant go wrong either route!
Old 06-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_casper View Post
All of the supercharger kits will make similiar top end power. You will get more low end out of a PD than a centri but in the real world that equates to wheel spin instead of acceleration. The centris ( like Procharger ) may actually have a slight advantage in the 1/4 mile and are much easier to install / remove. The PD blowers have instant power and they "feel" faster in everyday driving. You don't really know you have a centri until you punch it. All of the PD units for our cars are very quiet and the centrifugal has a pronounced whine. The PD's look somewhat factory and the centri's look added on. The centri requires occasional oil changes, the PD are good for 100k or so between maint. Each has it's plus and minuses but from your OP I think you would probably be most happy with the Procharger centri. I run the Whipple and love it but it costs several thousand more and is more for the sleeper appproach. On stock tires any of the kits will give you billowing smoke on demand.
Excellent write up!
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
The oil change interval for the ProCharger falls right about in line with the oil change interval for the engine oil. So if you install the ProCharger at your oil change time, they'll be at the same time for the life of your car. Makes remembering a bit easier.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfabrizio View Post
Also, what is reliability like once the systems are added on? I think my 2ss will be my daily driver.
That's one thing I definitely like about the Procharger, under about 3500 rpm's the car will drive just like stock.

Quote:
Very well said . It really comes down to what you want out of your car.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBlackSS View Post
The ProCharger supercharger powers the fastest 6gen

I went with procharger's centri supercharger. I daily drive my car. The car drives stock until you put your foot in it. Adding any of these systems would require some new tires also lol. 1st and most of 2nd gear were useless on the stock tires. Cant go wrong either route!
We actually power the fastest.....2nd fastest,...and 3rd fastest I believe. LOL

People read way to much into the "down low" thing....
Cause frankly the tires can't handle it there, nor is the engine ever really there.

When you floor a car with these modern transmissions.
They live in the top 1,000-1,500 rpm of the rev-range.

Right where we make big power AND big TQ.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
nick_casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
We actually power the fastest.....2nd fastest,...and 3rd fastest I believe. LOL

Cause frankly the tires can't handle it there, nor is the engine ever really there.

The reason I went with a PD is my car is under 2000 rpm 99.99% of the time. Cruising around the PD feels like you are about to go brutal at any moment ( makes it damn hard not to floor it and feel it unleash ). The centris really do feel stock until WOT. And as procharger said you are in the powerband the whole time once you get rolling at WOT. It all comes down to preferences and we are lucky to have such a strong offering to choose from.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Truly a personal preference on what you want to experience. I fall in the category of wanting to the car to feel different all the way around. I like the night and day difference that I have. Funny though, I let my son drive it and he was like
But on the other hand my wife has refused to drive it. Still a win for me. LOL
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
nick_casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Truly a personal preference on what you want to experience. I fall in the category of wanting to the car to feel different all the way around. I like the night and day difference that I have. Funny though, I let my son drive it and he was like
But on the other hand my wife has refused to drive it. Still a win for me. LOL
My 17 yr old son asked to take his friends for a ride in it. I told him to not drive like an asshole. I sweated bullets the half hour he was gone but it came back in one piece. He , and his friends, like it more than I do. These cars are fast stock and just unbelievable supercharged.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
Perdieu

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey Auto 2SS
I'm a little bias..
ProCharger = killer sound even at idle
ProCharger = 110% drives like stock when you want to
ProCharger = Powers all fastest Gen6 cars in the country
ProCharger = Great customer service

Let me know if you go that way I can steer you to two great dealers to work with.
Perdieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
i will be going the procharger route. ive debated a bunch between them all.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post

My only complaint about my ProCharger is the little bit less TQ. But, I'm also an M6 launching on slicks. Myself and least one other are having a hard time getting good, consistent 60's out of ours. But that might also be something in the PCM holding us back. But my little P1SC does trap between 123 and 125 which means once I get the 60 under 1.7 there is definitely a 10.90 timeslip there.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
The reason I went with a PD is my car is under 2000 rpm 99.99% of the time. Cruising around the PD feels like you are about to go brutal at any moment ( makes it damn hard not to floor it and feel it unleash ). The centris really do feel stock until WOT. And as procharger said you are in the powerband the whole time once you get rolling at WOT. It all comes down to preferences and we are lucky to have such a strong offering to choose from.
This is why I like PD superchargers. If you daily drive the car and are not out drag racing it, the PD supercharger is always ready to go and feels like you have a much bigger engine all the time. For the price, its hard to beat the addition of the lt4 supercharger to your stock engine. I don't think there is a bad supercharger out there for this car. It only comes down to how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote