The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 10-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
sphynix06

Drives: 2014 Corvette 3LT Z51
Customizing my C7

Hi,

I am the new owner of an AW 3LT Z51 C7 automatic with the black interior and black calipers. Even though I have most options excluding the black wheels and magnetic ride control or racing stripes, I am contemplating smoking the rear lights and side markers with the Rustoleum Lens Tint. I have heard and seen a few good results from using this product and wanted to get some fellow C7 owner opinions.

I am also thinking of powder coating my wheels a gloss black and painting my calipers white for contrast. I have heard people talking about Plasticoating, but I am not sure how this measures up against traditional painting or powder coating.

Any suggestion, thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!
Attached Images

sphynix06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Congrats! It looks wonderful, enjoy! I have a Jet Black, and will be powdercoating my wheels as well.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
killascrimp

Drives: 14 z51
my wheels are coming off tomorrow and I am getting them painted .. as far as plasti dip I looks great and is easy but can come off and needs to be re sprayed every 6 months. I also have the black calipers so I ordered cal paint should be finished by wendsday,don't forget u need caliper sticker or stencil of logo I got mine from a local decal shop. hopefuly finished by Thursday I will post some pics... funny how the black calipers don't pop like the brighter colors...some people say that powder coating wheels can damage because of heat issues not sure that's why I decided to go w paint option..
killascrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by killascrimp View Post
my wheels are coming off tomorrow and I am getting them painted .. as far as plasti dip I looks great and is easy but can come off and needs to be re sprayed every 6 months. I also have the black calipers so I ordered cal paint should be finished by wendsday,don't forget u need caliper sticker or stencil of logo I got mine from a local decal shop. hopefuly finished by Thursday I will post some pics... funny how the black calipers don't pop like the brighter colors...some people say that powder coating wheels can damage because of heat issues not sure that's why I decided to go w paint option..
I painted my calipers on my SS. Turned out great. I had two-toned black/blue painted wheels on it. I wanna try the wheel on plasti-dipping. Sounds like you're in for a few days without your car? I can't do that. Sold my crappy VW daily driver, so the Vette's it. Lemme know how it goes. I do wanna paint these calipers red. It's true what you said about needing that "pop".

Last edited by GunnyG; 10-27-2013 at 09:51 AM.
GunnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I've lightly tinted the taillights on mt '02 Corvette and they look great! Just enough to tone down the red, but not enough to hinder visibility. Put it on in light coats, a little goes a long way! The previous owner of my car had blacked the lights out, and you could barely see the brakes at nighr! I stripped and redid them the very first morning I had it. I plan to do the same for mt C7 once we get back to warm weather here in Mussouri.

Have you thought about painting the edges of your roof panel Arctic White, similar to the exposed carbon panels? I think that would be very sharp, especially with the white.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
sphynix06

Thanks for the input!

I think I will shy away from the white calipers (for now, lol). I have not considered painting the edges of my roof panel. It is translucent so I will have to mull over that for a while.

I have decided to paint the stingray and corvette emblems gloss black to match the vent inserts. How hard is it to remove them? I could precision tape them off if re-applying them may be an issue. Also, how hard is it to remove the tail lights? I will be tinting these with Rust-oleum Lens Tint.

I am also thinking of putting some type of 3-D carbon fiber stripe on the hood. Any suggestions on design/vendors?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Fasttoys

Drives: Lotus Evora S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphynix06 View Post
Hi,

I am the new owner of an AW 3LT Z51 C7 automatic with the black interior and black calipers. Even though I have most options excluding the black wheels and magnetic ride control or racing stripes, I am contemplating smoking the rear lights and side markers with the Rustoleum Lens Tint. I have heard and seen a few good results from using this product and wanted to get some fellow C7 owner opinions.

I am also thinking of powder coating my wheels a gloss black and painting my calipers white for contrast. I have heard people talking about Plasticoating, but I am not sure how this measures up against traditional painting or powder coating.

Any suggestion, thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!

WT Painting youry calipers white pain in the A to keep clean go any color over White
Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Tprefo

Drives: 2012 GS Conv and 2014 Stingray Z51
I own the same car bro, just my opinion, it's perfect the way it is. Awesome ride.
Tprefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
sphynix06

Does anyone have any experience with the Stingray Retractable License Plate Frame POWERED Show N Go? It looks like a good concept for those who don't want to install the factory license plate frame to the front fascia.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Corvette7Tuning

Drives: 2014 corvette stingray
Your corvette looks.

www.Corvette7Tuning.com
Corvette7Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote