The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #29
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
I don't know if I'm the only one, but it seems the caliper of gm owners are transitioning into a-holes. Went to a local car show and sat with a group of owners cts-v, vette, g8 and the nicest people which I met was the cts-v owner the rest seemed stuck up like I was intruding. I find it funny that lately the quality of owners seems to be in decline usually you expect a type of car to be under that category but now it seems the age of the crowd being the factor since it's becoming a younger bunch. Hell even the mustang guys were sociable, I know I'm grumpy but maybe I'm getting old and grumpy. I just remember back in the day no matter what you had you always were social even if you gave others s#!t you just didn't act stuck up, unless it was a Honda no one likes Hondas. Anyone else run into these type of people?
Not true...I find the opposite when I go to my car club meetings and events. Sorry!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #30
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX CAMARO View Post
Heres the probelm. Lets go back to Harley Davidson back in the early 90's. All of a sudden it was cool to be a Harley owner so every body with some bucks started to buy them. There goes the type of people that drive them. A biker was a biker before and you knew what you had. Change the mix and it changed alot. Now lets talk about muscle cars back in the 70's. All of my friends had some sort of muscle car, Ford, Chevy, Pontiac it didn't matter. We didn't e mail each other asking if we thought what car could out race the other. We did that on the streets every night and it wasn't about I drive this and all your cars suck. We were friends and it was fun. Fast forward to the Camaro 5th Gen. All of a sudden wow what a cool car. Bring into the mix some people with money that want to be part of the muscle car scene and that's great. They for the most part race on this web site with what ifs and and if its not a Camaro you drive you suck. You see people want to be part of things they don't really understand or appreciate and that is why they are the way they are. And as some have said on this thread it doesn't stop at who drives what it is the same in everyday life. Enjoy the ride!
Great post. but I'm sure there were some good-natured ribbing back in the day Everyone has their tolerance level for that and once that gets crossed, that person is transitioned into another "caliber" Those who have the knowledge and experience in this hobby should also have the patience and understanding in bringing in the newbs what to expect and help them to develop a "thicker skin" if those noobs want to maintain that relationship. And I think that is what's missing in today's society is that level of patience and understanding. It can be a very stressful situation to bring those people up to speed, hence the "attitudes".

The ability to understand a particular situation is an art form in and of itself. I'm on the Camaro 1LE facebook forum, and from reading one persons interaction with a well-known member from his area at a local meet, he branded him an "ass****" because that person did not give him the certain amount of respect that he set his expectations at. That well known guy did not make eye contact with him and according to that individual, the tone of his answers were interpreted as being arrogant and having a superiority complex.

He had photos showing the an older gentleman cleaning his car for the show. I could interpret that maybe the older guy was focused on cleaning his car before the show went on and his possible OCD traits might include not being interrupted when he's performing those tasks. If that individual that was offended by the older gentleman had the wherewithal of understanding that, he could have approached him at another time when he was in a more relaxed state of mind and could have had a different encounter.

There can be an inordinate amount of stress that goes into preparation in going out into the public and we all handle it differently....probably the main reason why most of us have a small circle of friends and family. Everyone should go out (when stepping out into the general public) with the understanding that everyone has stress and be polite as possible. If someone is not responding in a fashion that you don't appreciate, let them know...they could change their tune once they realize their behavior is not being accepted on a social norm. If they continue with that unacceptable behavior, just thank them for their time and move on.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #31
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
"Caliber"

Not being an a-hole. Just helping: If nobody tells you, you'll never know.
Auto correct junk aps iPhone lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #32
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
maybe they are just grumpy because they live in Topeka, Kansas?
Works for me been through Florida once how do you not kill yourself or move to Georgia?
Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #33
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
What do you expect? You now have kids who learned their social skills from the Jersey Shore and Keeping up with the Kardasians getting older and entering the work force.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #34
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
Agree with the 32 threads above. Went to a club meeting, and was treated like who the F do you think you are? There was an old boys/gals club atmosphere.
Also went on a cruse, when we arrived at the destination no one would even say hello. So left and never will be going back.
I'm sure that there are friendly clubs and people out there.
LONE WOLF for now.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #35
beasstmode

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Not true...I find the opposite when I go to my car club meetings and events. Sorry!
+1 here.. went to a show here in Arizona last night with 20 other camaros, nicest people I've met in along time. Also guys with supra's, s200, tundra, and a eclipse parked around me. Talked to all of them and they were super nice and just wanted to shoot the shit and talk about cars.
beasstmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #36
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX CAMARO View Post
Heres the probelm. Lets go back to Harley Davidson back in the early 90's. All of a sudden it was cool to be a Harley owner so every body with some bucks started to buy them. There goes the type of people that drive them. A biker was a biker before and you knew what you had. Change the mix and it changed alot.
This is true, a hollowed out version of what it used to be.
My experience with car related events is very limited but I have to admit the people I interacted with could not have been any nicer.
The first Camaro and coffee I attended in my area was a blast.
I got to test drive two different SS V8's, one was a 1LE. I also got a ride in a ZL1.
Unlike this forum no one had anything bad to say about my 14 or the fact I had a V6.
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #37
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Ignore those that treat you that way. I have found for the most part at cruise ins people are friendly and want to talk about your car. The only idiots I have run into are the ones that seem to have issues with my car being a V6...
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #38
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Certain car forums are the same way. Don't try to enter into a "closed-to-anybody-else" discussion, even if you have something of worth to contribute. I guess it's everywhere around us. Stay open to new folks and you just might learn something.

Camaro5 is good folks with a few a-holes thrown in for spice.
Or spite.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #39
MissyTx
SPOILED

Drives: 2013 SIM Camaro Convertible
Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the club or group that is a good "fit" for you. When I first bought my Camaro, I joined the first club I found and was really put off because they were not a very friendly bunch. At first, I just thought to myself that it was because I was new and maybe I needed to attend a few meets before they would "warm up" to me. Not the case, they are just not a welcoming group of people. So, continued the search and found another group of muscle car enthusiast that are awesome. The first meet up I went to with them, everyone was eager to get to know me, talk to me and my family, etc. Now just a few months later, I have some of the best, most caring, helpful people to hang out with. We actually get a lot of people that leave that first group mentioned as members because they felt unwanted. A great car group to be apart of can be hard to find but sooooo worth it when you do.
MissyTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #40
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
I'm pretty sure the world has ALWAYS been like that. Don't let the old guys and their rose-tinted glasses fool you. You eventually learn to forget and ignore the douches of the world, and only remember the good times.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #41
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
OP...keep going to the shows and talk to people about their autos. Sooner or later you will make like minded friends. Think it is great you are making these events a family outing. I was lucky I had a Dad who liked autos. Over the years I have found some people at the shows are only there to show off their rides, others are there just because they enjoy anything automotive.

Just before I moved from Dallas to Ottawa 11 years ago I posted a question on a diecast forum stating I was moving to Canada. One guy on the forum contacted me, said to look him up when I moved. Turned out I was introduced to group of car guys who all loved diecast. We get together every two weeks for diner, share stuff. Age range from 40 to 80. Range from classic car collectors, ex-race drivers, new sports cars and modified street racers. Funny is this group got together close to 18 years ago because they liked scale model cars.

Stopped to talk with some other 5th gen Camaro people in Ottawa and mostly just got the cold shoulder. But when I talk to others with a little more varied automotive experience and different types of rides far more friendly. Last month went to an all GM cruise-in at a GM dealership. Hundreds of autos showed up. Saw some 5th gen Camaro's, stopped to talk about their autos, cold shoulder. It was like here is my auto, look at it, don't bother me. At the same show I stopped to look at a triple black 1976 Eldo Convertible. A young 30s guy looked to be the owner. Asked is this your car. Yes. I sad wow, looks great...I bought a new Eldo convertible back in 1976 but mine was white with red interior. Short story, he was a lawyer, this was his first old car, wasn't even born when the car was new. We talked about an hour, he wanted to see my Camaro parked on the street (not for show), etc. We exchanged our email address, I have sent him massive amounts of info on his Eldorado. Never know when or where you will meet another car friend.

I also have a 1998 Riviera which is a garage queen. Daily I visit a very active forum specific to this last gen. Riviera. Most owners in their 20s & 30s and love the supercharged luxury. Wonderful friendly forum and nobody talks down about another's Riviera. About every two years I think about selling the Riviera because I only drive it about 1,000 miles a year but love my Riv. Riviera forum guys say don't sell, Ottawa car guys friends always talk me out of selling.

OP...give it time and you will meet other people who love their own cars and also open to liking and learning about other autos.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #42
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
"Caliber"

Not being an a-hole. Just helping: If nobody tells you, you'll never know.
Beat me to it.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote