The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
$79k+$8k at a bare minimum = $87k + $10-20k markup = $97-$107k. As previously noted by an astute poster, it appears allocations will be rare. Delivery 7-10 months from now. 50% of current A/T 'Vette seems to overheat and throw a CEL after a few laps on track. Go read the Vette forums. How will this supercharged car fare? No one knows.

Bottom line: big fat f'ing yawn for me personally, and kudos to Chevy for building what should be *another* exotic killer for such a "reasonable" price.

I'm loving every day driving my Z/28. Would be nice to have both Vette and Z/28 in the garage, but I have no overwhelming desire to do that, nor do I feel any need whatsoever to trade the Z/28 for the Vette. I like my ass-kicking stone-age brute.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #16
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
IF an LT4-engined ZL1 is in the cards for Gen-6, then TWO things become apparent with this $79K-Base price:

1) Hellcat's rein as Automatically the "quickest sporty Coupe" (too damn BIG to call it a "pony car") will be very brief...especially @ its $65K price.

2) Ford's development, and price points, for its Gen-6 Stang in GT350-SVT-KING KONG form, is mighty "challenging" when facing a $79K Z06
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
$79k+$8k at a bare minimum = $87k + $10-20k markup = $97-$107k. As previously noted by an astute poster, it appears allocations will be rare. Delivery 7-10 months from now. 50% of current A/T 'Vette seems to overheat and throw a CEL after a few laps on track. Go read the Vette forums. How will this supercharged car fare? No one knows.

Bottom line: big fat f'ing yawn for me personally, and kudos to Chevy for building what should be *another* exotic killer for such a "reasonable" price.

I'm loving every day driving my Z/28. Would be nice to have both Vette and Z/28 in the garage, but I have no overwhelming desire to do that, nor do I feel any need whatsoever to trade the Z/28 for the Vette. I like my ass-kicking stone-age brute.
I am quite sure for this Z06 they have got all the tranny overheating issue worked out.They knew going in it was a priority.
Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #18
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8ion View Post
What are you smoking? You might want to read how the Z06 and the ALMS car where designed side by side.
And it ended up being a significantly less track focused car. Supercharged with, at the minimum, a removable top that sacrificed rigidity. I get that this car is more rigid than the previous Z06, even with the removable top, but it would have been even more so with the hard top. This Z06 gave up what made the Z06 such an awesome car to chase more sales.

This "Z06" is more along the lines of the ZL1 than a Z06.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
Lol why would anybody buy a Z28 when the Z06 is the same price? Man Chevy is all over the place with their pricing.
Because somebody may want a Camaro, not a Corvette?

Why would anyone buy a Camaro over an Mustang? Mustangs are cheaper AND faster than Camaros. Still, Camaros outsell Mustangs month after month. Why?

If someone offered me a ZL1 or a C7, I'd pick the ZL1 every time. So what if the Corvette outperforms the ZL1 for the same money? They're anywhere and everywhere. Yawn.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #20
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Because somebody may want a Camaro, not a Corvette?

Why would anyone buy a Camaro over an Mustang? Mustangs are cheaper AND faster than Camaros. Still, Camaros outsell Mustangs month after month. Why?

If someone offered me a ZL1 or a C7, I'd pick the ZL1 every time. So what if the Corvette outperforms the ZL1 for the same money? They're anywhere and everywhere. Yawn.
And Camaro's arent everywhere.....
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #21
TonyNDeb

Drives: Candy
After all the problems I had with my C5 Z06, I don't think I will ever get another Vette.. Even though I was looking at them hard, all the bad feelings kept coming back. I bought my Z/28 because I love the brutality of it. This is my first Chevrolet since my Vette, so I am hoping I'm not disappointed with the build quality.
TonyNDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #22
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
And Camaro's arent everywhere.....
Absolutely not. Not ZL1's. V6's are everywhere and anywhere, but I've only seen 1 ZL1 in the wild and 1 ZL1 at a dealership. And they were both automagics. I've never seen a Z28 anywhere. I see C7's every day.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Seems like the performance car buy of the century to me...
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #24
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Absolutely not. Not ZL1's. V6's are everywhere and anywhere, but I've only seen 1 ZL1 in the wild and 1 ZL1 at a dealership. And they were both automagics. I've never seen a Z28 anywhere. I see C7's every day.
yes, but it is still a Camaro. Just like a Z06 will "still" be a Corvette.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post

No limits on the Z06. There will be a markup but it will be short lived. I see plenty of marked up Z/28s still sitting.

The auto trans in the Z06 is brand spanking new 8 speed. The auto in the vettes now is the older 6 speed.

Id love to park both in my garage as well but i will have to choose. The z/28 would win with the wife just becasue of the backseat for the kids.

But CCB and mag ride for 8k - nice to see these brakes coming down in price a little
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
Col. Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
And it ended up being a significantly less track focused car. Supercharged with, at the minimum, a removable top that sacrificed rigidity. I get that this car is more rigid than the previous Z06, even with the removable top, but it would have been even more so with the hard top. This Z06 gave up what made the Z06 such an awesome car to chase more sales.

This "Z06" is more along the lines of the ZL1 than a Z06.
i think the ZR1 will be the hardcore track car now. Hardtop/coupe only. And probably pushing 700+

1M hypercars are into the 6 minute range - i think the ZR1 is focused on that.

Looking back at the C6 - the Z06 sold great when it was the only other option. Then the ZR1 stole sales for more hardcore buyers. The GS stole sales from those who just wanted the Z06/wide body and the 427 was for the Z06 vert fans.

GM just decided to roll all 4 models into 1 and call it a Z06 this time around.

I will bet a 6 pack of beer that a ZR1 will come out in '16/17 that will be like the Z/28 was to the Camaro. A purely track focused machine not intended for the weak of heart
Old 08-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #27
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
i think the ZR1 will be the hardcore track car now. Hardtop/coupe only. And probably pushing 700+

1M hypercars are into the 6 minute range - i think the ZR1 is focused on that.

Looking back at the C6 - the Z06 sold great when it was the only other option. Then the ZR1 stole sales for more hardcore buyers. The GS stole sales from those who just wanted the Z06/wide body and the 427 was for the Z06 vert fans.

GM just decided to roll all 4 models into 1 and call it a Z06 this time around.

I will bet a 6 pack of beer that a ZR1 will come out in '16/17 that will be like the Z/28 was to the Camaro. A purely track focused machine not intended for the weak of heart

That would make no sense to take your two halo models and switch the roles when both have been pretty defined for years.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #28
Col. Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
Lol why would anybody buy a Z28 when the Z06 is the same price? Man Chevy is all over the place with their pricing.
my accounting pov

in 2014 there was not king corvette. GM loves the profit margins on the Corvette Zs but alas none where to be had.

Current camaro is pretty much wrapping up. Give the camaro team the green light to build the baddest thing they can come up with to fill the void of that king corvette. 75k is right inline with the old Z06 and built on an already paid for chassis/body and engine. Sure why not. Profits galore

By the time the 2015 production run ends - the Z06 will just becoming out.

The Z06 will take back the thrown as king performance car at GM and consumers for a very short time with have 2 bad ass Chevys in which to pick and kick ass on a track.

The Z/28s will sell. GM may offer heavy discounts come summertime 2015 but that is 1 year or more after some on here already bought and raced theirs.

IMO GM is playing this perfectly.