Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Cyclo vs PC vs FLEX...which one to choose?

Hey guys,

Looking at getting a polishing machine to minimize the scratches I'm sure to get over time on my Camaro.
Any thoughts on these three and comparisons/pro/cons/preferences? I'd be using Adam's pads and polishes with them, if that makes any difference.

I'm really liking the Cylco, but the cost is fairly prohibitive, hence my also considering the other two.

Cheers!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Toss the cyclo out. From what I've read, the correction is similar to that of a PC, but for way more money. Plus is looks ridiculous and you have to keep twice as many pads.

After that, you have to decide what you want to spend.

A PC or Griots is going to be 1/2 or less the price of a flex. These machines will be capable of correcting 99% of swirls that an amateur detailer would ever come across.

The Flex has forced rotation, meaning it will keep spinning even when you apply lots of pressure. This means it can correct deeper scratches in some cases. It also means you could theoretically go through paint, which you pretty much can't do with the above machines due to the clutch.

In summation, a Flex will do the job marginally quicker. It's more powerful and could take care of deeper scratches. The trade off being that it's not quite as foolproof, but it's still much safer than a true rotary would be.

For what it's worth you can look through any of my paint correction threads to see the destroyed paint I have corrected with the little old PC which shows you don't always need the biggest or best machine out there.

For example
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306700

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
NicksVSix

Thanks, CamaroDreams07, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Looks like I'll look a bit more at a PC then. 99% correction with no chance of screwing things up is plenty good for me. It's just a 2LT, it doesn't need to be show-room quality, just being able to get rid of most swirls and minor scratches is perfect.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
NicksVSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
T Plus is looks ridiculous
lol, I kinda like how ridiculous it looks. It looks kinda Steampunk.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
I agree with CD07 here. I love both of my PC machines. Just have a variety of pads to get the job done, as well as different compounds and polishes. You can't go wrong with menzerna fg400 and sf4000 though.

Here is my own thread of paint correction. I was under similar restrictions of time and money. On the before and after picture in this thread I did two full polishing cycles with fg400 and a meguires microfiber cutting pad. Turned out excellently. I feel that I got 75-80% of the defectes out of the paint in a 10 hour polishing period. As explained in the thread, a tree branch fell on the drivers side of the car, which was the cause of the majority of the scratches left behind.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Meguiar...FU9p7Aodyj8AOw

These are the pads I use and love them. I just got in some of CD07's reccomended "buff&shine" microfiber cutting pads to test out.

Here is the thread I spoke of.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356392

I consider those fairly deep swirls and the PC handled them extremely well. I don't think the PC is as bad as some people would like to portray.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
NicksVSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
I consider those fairly deep swirls and the PC handled them extremely well. I don't think the PC is as bad as some people would like to portray.
Don't most people speak quite highly of the PC?
First I'd heard of the PC was through Junkman. I know he likes them.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
Most people who aren't trying to sell you something do speak highly of the PC. It's a proven machine. Like I said, it's not the most powerful machine out there, but nobody can dispute the results it consistently has delivered for years.

Think of it in car terms. The PC is the Camaro and the Flex/Rupes the Vette. They'll both get you where you need to go. You just have to decide what's important to you.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
You have to be careful of the timing in which he made his video with a recommendation. He's a big fan of whatever product he's getting for free at the time.

You'll notice how many Adam's products he uses now...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
13lstuner

Quote:
Most people I know don't dis it too bad. But I think many people have the interpretation of the PC as "just getting the job done". When in fact I've never had a problem getting anything out with it yet. Now it may take more elbow grease, and take slightly longer, but I was so pleased with my older model one I bought at first that I bought another lol. Now the other one is my tire/ interior cleaner with a soft bristled brush, or I bought one for it after I scrubbed for days on hummer tires with red clay baked into them lol......
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You have to be careful of the timing in which he made his video with a recommendation. He's a big fan of whatever product he's getting for free at the time.

You'll notice how many Adam's products he uses now...

And the truth shall set you free... There is always good information out there, you must just try and see through the biases that are always underlying in peoples preferred products.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I am far from the pro at this but I have a PC and really like it, does a good job a correcting, don't think you'll be disappointed with it. I have since upgraded to the Rupes 21 and love it, it's a whole different ball game and glad I made the upgrade. I've kept my PC for the 4" pads but will be selling that soon and I got the Rupes 75 to replace it.

OP: Take a look into Rupes. Here's a link to their full line:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Rupes-M...ct-description
Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
It's not the quality, it's the power, that many question. The Griots is marginally more powerful and has a lifetime warranty. Both are quality machines that have been shown to work for YEARS without issues. You can't go wrong with either of them. I bought a used PC and it's worked flawlessly for me for almost 2yrs now. I don't remember how old it was when I got it. Just grab the one you can get the best price on and don't look back. If not on sale, they are essentially the same price, once you factor in the backing plate for the PC.

For pads, I don't see 5.5in pads on the adams site. That is what most use with the standard 6in backing plate. Autogeek, autopia, detailers domain, and several others will have all the ones you need.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
It's not the quality, it's the power, that many question. The Griots is marginally more powerful and has a lifetime warranty. Both are quality machines that have been shown to work for YEARS without issues. You can't go wrong with either of them. I bought a used PC and it's worked flawlessly for me for almost 2yrs now. I don't remember how old it was when I got it. Just grab the one you can get the best price on and don't look back. If not on sale, they are essentially the same price, once you factor in the backing plate for the PC.

For pads, I don't see 5.5in pads on the adams site. That is what most use with the standard 6in backing plate. Autogeek, autopia, detailers domain, and several others will have all the ones you need.
You cant use a 5.5 inch pad with a 6 inch backing plate lol.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post

Do you mean standard 5in backing plate? I've never heard of someone using a smaller pad than their backing plate?