Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #71
SAMHEFRAG

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've had this problem too...but to make it even better...the end of the spoiler actually knocks against the trunk lid and chipped my paint...it's only noticeable when you look close, but that's the thing...it's my baby and I always look close...
SAMHEFRAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #72
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
I have also had the same issue early on. Brought it to my dealer's attention and they did some kind of recall on the nuts of the rear spoiler. Funny thing is I now have another missing nut and an anoying rateling in my trunk lid.
2SS/RS Black with CGM Rally Stripes (#8575) Built on 8th of May, Delivered 10 June 2009.

camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #73
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarolt76 View Post
I have also had the same issue early on. Brought it to my dealer's attention and they did some kind of recall on the nuts of the rear spoiler. Funny thing is I now have another missing nut and an anoying rateling in my trunk lid.
You should check for chipped paint around the spoiler since there's another TSB for a related issue. The original rubber spacers they used were too thin and after tightening down the nuts it caused the spoiler to rub on the trunk lid.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #74
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bky View Post
So I have had this issue on my 2lt, which I've already taken into the dealer once to fix to have it occur again. After removing the bolt covers and trunk liner/cover, I noticed that all three nuts from the driver's side had fallen off and the other three were hand-loose. This is something I just didn't trust with the dealer so I took matters into my own hands today and got it all fixed up.

Tools that I used:

-A fork (thanks to the suggestion from this thread)
-Telescopic fishing magnet ($1.99 at autozone)
-10mm socket wrench
-A beer (to calm the nerves)

I started by popping off the 4 rubber bolt-cover caps, easy enough.

The next step was removing the inside trunk liner, which was probably the most challenging. Use the fork to get under the plastic fasteners and pry them up as much as possible. Once you get them up a little bit you should be able to twist and pry them out one at a time. By the way, those little bastards are hard to get out and can hurt your fingers. I had to wrap my hand in a shirt to remove the last remaining few to cut down on the verbal obscenities. Also, don't worry about breaking them as they're very hard to mess up. I pry'd heavily to get them out and once I pushed them back in after all was done, they looked and snapped in just the same as before I started.

By the way, this is what happened to the fork. Good thing I used a crappy one from my old walmart set :

Once the little plastic bastards are gone, the rest is fairly simple. Just remove the metal snap from behind the yellow child-release latch piece. Then slide the fork under the plastic piece/sleeve around the trunk latch and it should come loose enough to slide off.

At this point, one of the three bolts fell right out with the inside liner. I guess I got pretty lucky, however I believe it was one of the inside/middle spoiler fasteners. After some open-and-closing of the trunk lid and listening to where the other two were at, it turned out they had settled at the VERY bottom left and right corners, hopefully this is the case with yours as well. After a (very careful) attempt or two with a coat-hanger, I was able to determine that they were down there by using one of the openings near the bottom but just couldn't bring them out. After a trip to auto-zone, this skinny telescopic magnet worked painlessly:

For a crappy illustration, the red arrows show where I inserted the magnet and the blue shows where inside the two bolts where. It literally took one swipe on each side and I was able to pull them out.

After that, I used my 10mm socket set to re-fasten each bolt with the thread-locker (wasn't Loctite but the off-brand version :P). The trunk-liner went back into place in no time flat. Hope this helps to anyone who comes across it. With the instructions here it should only be a 10-20 minute job, much better than taking it to the dealer!

Oh, and don't forget about the most important tool of the project :
Great Post! Thanks! Will get busy on this as soon as I get back home from my current trip to Kentucky. Luckily my 2SS/RS is safe at home in the garrage back home!
2SS/RS Black with CGM Rally Stripes (#8575) Built on 8th of May, Delivered 10 June 2009.

camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #75
chandler

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I had the paint chipping problem also and wanted to remove the spoiler so I removed the two nuts on the left and the two on the right and popped the spoiler off. Wow!...six studs and four nuts. Whats wrong with this picture. My car was delivered in June 2010 and they are still having this spoiler nut problem.