The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
17MaroSS

Drives: 17 2SS 6sp
My new 2SS!!

Hey guys and girls! I finally made a move after 2 years of contemplating. It's. 2017 2SS 6 speed manual black on black. I am in love with this car! I'm coming from a 2013 Infiniti G37xs coupe. That car treated me well, as did the previous 2 infinitis that I had before that, but this Camaro is really something else. The exterior lines, the 20" wheels, the exhaust sound (Equipped with active exhaust), the buttery clutch and shifter, the power, all the tech features... I am simply amazed!!!

Few questions to start out.

First off, This will be my daily driver for the next several years. What do you recommend I do for the winter? Downgrade rim size with winter tires, or keep the 20s on and just get winters for them?

2. How do I get more apps to transfer through CarPlay? Is there a list of CarPlay apps? My zoom app transfers and shows up on the display, but I cannot get it to work. Has anyone used zoom on the CarPlay?

3. Are there different brands to choose from for the skip shift eliminator kit? That feature is so ridiculous and annoying!

4. Does my manual transmission car have cylinder shut off feature? Or is that only with the automatic cars?

Lastly.. can I get a tune now without any modifications done to the car? How much improvement would I see? Who does the tune and how can I get it done?

Thanks in advance!!
17MaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
17MaroSS

Drives: 17 2SS 6sp
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...1&d=1592875783
Attached Images

17MaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
CamaroFan63
Sullie63

Drives: '15 1LT Summit White
Welcome and Congrats !!
Oracle clear side markers / LLmar tint sides and rear.
Strut bar / Husky Floor liners
Member of SICC. Southern Illinois Camaro Club
CamaroFan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5/6. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives', husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 06-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #5
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17MaroSS View Post
Hey guys and girls! I finally made a move after 2 years of contemplating. It's. 2017 2SS 6 speed manual black on black. I am in love with this car! I'm coming from a 2013 Infiniti G37xs coupe. That car treated me well, as did the previous 2 infinitis that I had before that, but this Camaro is really something else. The exterior lines, the 20" wheels, the exhaust sound (Equipped with active exhaust), the buttery clutch and shifter, the power, all the tech features... I am simply amazed!!!

Few questions to start out.

First off, This will be my daily driver for the next several years. What do you recommend I do for the winter? Downgrade rim size with winter tires, or keep the 20s on and just get winters for them?

2. How do I get more apps to transfer through CarPlay? Is there a list of CarPlay apps? My zoom app transfers and shows up on the display, but I cannot get it to work. Has anyone used zoom on the CarPlay?

3. Are there different brands to choose from for the skip shift eliminator kit? That feature is so ridiculous and annoying!

4. Does my manual transmission car have cylinder shut off feature? Or is that only with the automatic cars?

Lastly.. can I get a tune now without any modifications done to the car? How much improvement would I see? Who does the tune and how can I get it done?

Thanks in advance!!
Welcome glad you love your Camaro

1) Get a second set of rims and some Blizzaks in the stock size

2) not an area I am knowledgeable in(try Camaro6.com)

3) its just a plug in module that has a resistor in it

4) Yes all LT1's have DOD

5) Yes you can get DOD tuned out your HP gains won't be as big as say a 4th or 5th Gen car as GM doesn't leave too much on the table now
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Congrats and welcome, love the black!

1. As stated, get a second set of wheels with winter/all weather tires and just swap them as needed

2. Sorry, no idea

3. Simple plug in module (or just wait until you pass 20 mph and the skip shift bypasses, a few more rpms and no issue (that's what I do, works fine) never once been locked out of second gear.

4. No, all LT1s do NOT have DOD (AFM actually) mine does NOT it is an M6. Manual cars do not, they get skip shift instead for economy

5. I suppose, but not sure what gains you would get with only a tune and no mods. I have mine bone stock, not even broken in yet, so no plans for me to tune or change anything, so really can't help on this one.
Nothing like an SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Congrats and welcome, love the black!

1. As stated, get a second set of wheels with winter/all weather tires and just swap them as needed

2. Sorry, no idea

3. Simple plug in module (or just wait until you pass 20 mph and the skip shift bypasses, a few more rpms and no issue (that's what I do, works fine) never once been locked out of second gear.

4. No, all LT1s do NOT have DOD (AFM actually) mine does NOT it is an M6. Manual cars do not, they get skip shift instead for economy

5. I suppose, but not sure what gains you would get with only a tune and no mods. I have mine bone stock, not even broken in yet, so no plans for me to tune or change anything, so really can't help on this one.
Your right on the AFM for the m6 cars.

They have the hardware but not the programming.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #8
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post

Correct, so to be truly accurate, all LT1s have it, the hardware is there, but it is only ACTIVE on the auto trans cars, manuals it is not active. I think that sounds like a better statement!
Old 06-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Welcome!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Welcome and congratulations.

1. I agree on a second set of wheels with appropriate tires. Blizzak's, Michelin X-Ice or similar should suit you well. Be mindful that they are a very soft compound and wear much more quickly than most tires. Don't put them on until the daily temps no longer serve your current tires well, and get them -off- when temps are back up again in the spring.

2. I can't answer this but I have to wonder why you are trying to load a video conferencing app for use in the car? There's no camera in the car, and I can't imagine it would work while driving.

3. That small appendage on the bottom of your right leg will work wonders in dealing with skip shift. Learn to press a little harder.

4. No, M6 cars do not deactivate the cylinders in the motor (Active Fuel Management). Most (see below) of the hardware for this feature is in your car, but the manual effectively disables it.

5. You can get a tune any time you want. I know someone that does tunes, and he said a lot of people will get a non-modded vehicle tuned for one of a couple of specific reasons... To modify shift points (automatic only) or to modify the fuel mapping to possibly improve mileage a bit. At the end of the day, you can do what you want. It isn't going to unlock a sleeping beast under the hood without some mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post

Quote:
Correct, so to be truly accurate, all LT1s have it, the hardware is there, but it is only ACTIVE on the auto trans cars, manuals it is not active. I think that sounds like a better statement!
To be 100% accurate, only "most" of the hardware is there in a manual car. There are two exhaust actuators right behind the second cat that close when AFM disables cylinders. These create additional back pressure in the exhaust for when the engine is running on lowered power (and exhaust) output. On a manual car, the exhaust has no mounting position for these actuators nor the actuators themselves.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Welcome and congratulations.

3. That small appendage on the bottom of your right leg will work wonders in dealing with skip shift. Learn to press a little harder.

4. No, M6 cars do not deactivate the cylinders in the motor (Active Fuel Management). Most (see below) of the hardware for this feature is in your car, but the manual effectively disables it.

To be 100% accurate, only "most" of the hardware is there in a manual car. There are two exhaust actuators right behind the second cat that close when AFM disables cylinders. These create additional back pressure in the exhaust for when the engine is running on lowered power (and exhaust) output. On a manual car, the exhaust has no mounting position for these actuators nor the actuators themselves.
That's why I love it here! Always an education! Learn something new everyday.

Love the right leg appendage comment....that's how I control it! Works everytime!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
That's why I love it here! Always an education! Learn something new everyday.

Love the right leg appendage comment....that's how I control it! Works everytime!
lol... Glad it caused a chuckle.

On a more serious note, though... Lugging the engine is generally accepted as being bad for it, even by GM. Maybe that's why the final drive ratio on the manual is so much taller than on the automatics? So that using the skip-shift function doesn't lug it "as badly"?

Truth be told, I'm never going to drive around town in fourth gear. Period. Even if I get pushed to fourth from first, I'll just drop it to third instead. Driving safely is reliant as much on using the accelerator as it is the brake. And if you're lugging it in fourth and have to speed up from 25-30 to get out of the way, that's going to work a LOT better in second or third.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:00 AM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
1. Save your money on winter wheels and tires and by a nice winter beater. The thought of that beautiful black Camaro with salt stains and gray ice blobs hanging behind the wheel-wells is anxiety inducing at the very least.
2.-5. Well answered by folks more knowledgeable than myself.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
1. Save your money on winter wheels and tires and by a nice winter beater. The thought of that beautiful black Camaro with salt stains and gray ice blobs hanging behind the wheel-wells is anxiety inducing at the very least.
I grew up in New England and know all too well what happens to our cars from driving them in the bad weather. I agree that a secondary vehicle for winter use would be the ideal, but it is often not only impractical, but completely unaffordable for many.

To have a second vehicle, one needs to have money to buy it, money to register it, money to insure it, and money to maintain it. And, depending on the location, annual property or excise tax on the vehicle comes into play. There needs to be a place to not only park the second car, but a sheltered place to park the Camaro and keep it out of the snow becomes important/necessary as well.

I support having a second vehicle if A) it's practical, B) it's financially within reach, and C) the Camaro is intended to be a long-term ownership item.

Currently, I am fortunate enough to be able to have purchased my Camaro AS the second car and have a garage for winter storage. However, I am inching up at putting my house on the market and will be without a garage for the Camaro when I do until a new home is secured. And, since I am targeting moving OUT of this state, it will likely mean that the car will be 'garaged' at a Storage Facility over the short term.