The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
"my friend" passed a cop at like 125mph.. the cop started taking off, he thought it was a good idea to just keep going because by the time the cop would get to that speed he would be gone,,, well yea he got away lol
125mph is > 2 miles per minute. It's got to take at least 30 seconds for the cop to break into traffic, accelerate, and match the speed; that's a 1 mile lead. To catch the car before it gets off the next exit, or at least get close enough to read the license plate, the cop is going to have to get up to at least 150mph (probably way more), which the police car may not be able to do. Now think about it from the cop's point of view; he has a wife and kids who want him to come home alive, and if he wipes out a bunch of other cars or hurts some innocent driver in an accident he's responsible for a HUGE amount of liability. OTOH, if he pretends he didn't see it, the idiot going 125 will probably either not hurt anyone, or only hurt himself...and no matter what, the cop won't be held responsible.

I'm ashamed to say that I was a dumb kid driving 105mph (governed top speed) everywhere for a while, many years ago. A few times I passed cops, and I couldn't figure out why they didn't come after me. I did that for some time and then decided that it was totally insane and I was going to get the book thrown at me if I got caught. After that, I slowed down to speeds more like the rest of the traffic, and proceeded to get a lot of tickets...I guess the cops recognized me. Anyway, I thought about it for years after and eventualy came up with the math I did above.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
In regards to the YouTube vid..." good news: We got your car back and caught the perp!...Bad news: It's totalled!" Mad skills on the part of the driver.

Now: Folks: You can run all you want, but you cannot outrun the RADIO. Do yourself and those around you on the road a favor: PULL OVER AND TAKE YOUR STUPIDITY LIKE A MAN/WOMAN. The life you save may be mine.

you mean that scion xb with it's 62.5lbs of torque never had a chance?

theholycow i know what you mean i wouldnt try and chase some goofball going that fast risking my own life in the process, rather funny though how when u slowed down u started getting massive tickets lol guess you didnt slow down enough...

bet you cant beat this one

i got pulled over for tailgating after someone directly cut me off and we passed a cop together so all the cop saw was me behind the other car lol i had no choice.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote