The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
If you can get away, they have an SCCA track Night In America there tomorrow. I think its like 150 for 3 20 minute sessions. It will be the 2.75mi configuration.
I'm dying to get out there for one of those. Or a NASA event. I haven't been in a while, and never with the new SS.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #16
whitelightning011

Drives: '16 1SS A8 w/ NPP
Very nice video!
whitelightning011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #17
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
And wasn't impressed.

Got invited to do an Extreme Experience at NOLA Motorsports Park last week. Basically, you get 3 hot laps in a supercar of your choice. They had a Porsche GT3, Ferrari 458, Corvette Grand Sport, and a Lamborghini Huracan. I decided on the Huracan because my friend that invited me wanted the 458, I figured that I could get a co-drive in a GT3 a few friends own, and the Vette was simply my car minus 2 seats.

First impression of the Huracan was good. It just looks gorgeous. But, when I got in the driver's seat, the impression wore off. Kinda cheesy. Plastic buttons. Stupid, plastic flip cover on the start button that wasn't even spring loaded (you have to push it back down. Sure, there's suede covering the instrument binnacle, but the A/C and other controls are some cheap-looking, plastic-covered buttons. The seat is really comfy, though.

Driving it was equally disappointing. Yes, it accelerates pretty well. But, nothing amazing. Looked at some dyno numbers for a Huracan later, and I can see why. Zero torque and HP comes in REALLY late. Certainly doesn't feel that much more powerful than a stock SS.

Brakes were OK. But, again, not that much better (if at all) than my SS with the 6-piston Brembos.

Handling was nice. Flat through turns. Great grip. Very easy to handle at the limit. It has a nice wiggle in the rear when threshold braking, which allows you to start rotating the car at the beginning of the turn.

In conclusion, it's certainly a nice car. I don't mean that it's crap. But, as far as a $250k car compared to a $50k Camaro SS (not to mention a 1LE or ZL1), there's no way that it's THAT good. In terms of price, it's perhaps $20k better than an SS. And, most of that money would be spent on slightly upgraded interior coverings, seats, and exterior upgrades.

Video of the drive

https://youtu.be/iywrbK3tJNk
MMmmHmm...but Camaros are better.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #18
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Maybe the instructor was weighing it down?
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #19
Oldfart

Drives: Silverado, V-70 R
Funny that was your impression. A business acquaintance bought one without having test driven one. His words, "I thought I would like it more than I do", & "I'm not that impressed." He sold it & went out & bought a Hellcat & loves it, he said it makes him laugh every time he drives it.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #20
LordKevin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss Red Hot
Maybe you should go race one at the strip and see how badly you lose.
LordKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #21
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Driving it was equally disappointing. Yes, it accelerates pretty well. But, nothing amazing. Looked at some dyno numbers for a Huracan later, and I can see why. Zero torque and HP comes in REALLY late. Certainly doesn't feel that much more powerful than a stock SS.
2 Seconds quicker faster in the 1/4 mile than your SS and traps 15mph more....and it only accelerates "pretty well" and "doesn't feel that much more powerful than a stock SS"?

I'm not quite sure how you weren't able to notice a difference. Were talking about the same acceleration difference from a Honda accord to an SS.

Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
2 Seconds quicker faster in the 1/4 mile than your SS and traps 15mph more....and it only accelerates "pretty well" and "doesn't feel that much more powerful than a stock SS"?

I'm not quite sure how you weren't able to notice a difference. Were talking about the same acceleration difference from a Honda accord to an SS.

The shape of the torque curve is quite a lot different from an LS3's, which goes to 'perception' if you aren't able to keep it singing above 6000 rpm (probably everywhere except down the main straight).

I drove a Gallardo at a rather slower venue and got much the same impression running it in 2nd gear at speeds up to maybe upper 60's mph. Good, but certainly not awe-inspiring.

Norm
Old 04-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #23
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Good info.

I really wanted to get my SS on the same track, same day, etc. Even me, with similar familiarity with the configuration. Would have been a great way to tell how much faster (or . . . dare I say . . . SLOWER) a Huracan is than an SS.
With your level of familiarity with your own car, I bet you'd be faster in the SS at least on that track in that configuration and at least until you gained more familiarity with the Lambo. I'm not much of a gambler, either . . .

Norm
Old 04-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #24
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Here's a vid from a couple years ago with a supercharger kit on one. Gotta watch at least to 3 minutes in to see the best part of the video.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #25
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
If you drove the Huracan flat out I bet you would change your opinion. It's a superior car in every aspect. Test driving it in a nice manor around town will never show you the true thrill of a car like that. The Engines come alive on the track or highway when you are going north of 100mph. They were never made for drag racing.
Megahurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #26
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKevin View Post
Maybe you should go race one at the strip and see how badly you lose.
His ass would get drugged.