Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
lmcgrew79

Drives: '17 Zl1, '16 Viper ACR, '15 CLA 45
LS7 Engine Failure & Fire. Was Denided

I was with my good friend 2 months ago at VIR when his bone stock 8000 mile 2013 z06 Carbon blew an engine. He had a 2007 z06 which also blew at 30k miles but was ok after that for another 20k, gm fixed that one. I think it was a valve guide that time. One reason he upgraded to a 2013 is because we have "thought" they may have fixed the engine problem.This was the first time he took the car on track, we was only there for 1 day and it blew toward the end of the day. The bad part is the rear bumper of the car caught fire im guessing from unburn fuel after the motor blew, it went out very quick but melted the bumper. GM denied the claim today, saying he failed to follow the owners manual for track procedure????? The oil had 100 miles on it, oil levels was fine on track, etc, etc. We checked them in the pits as something you always do.

Its took nearly 2 months for them to get to this point, car has been sitting at local gm dealer for 2 months. He hasn't posted on the corvette forum or anywhere yet, because he is waiting to talk to them one more time before moving forward. I asked if he minded that i posted in hear as a warning if you will.

Considering we share that engine that all brings me to this. One reason i purchased the Z28 is because i thought gm claims, that if you dont mod the car and do regular maintenance that they will warranty the vehicle for track use. The z06 manual tells you what to do for performance driving. This is very bothersome to me because his car is unmodified, and they simply denied his warranty. I personally know of around 10 ls7 that have blew up on track while i was there. Most i know have been covered. The only ones that haven't i read about have been modded with headers/pcm/cam etc, which i fully understand. Ive considered a new z06, have a 2015 3500 dually, and now this z28. Im hoping they make things right, but will have to wait a few more weeks to find out. Ill keep you updated.

Last edited by lmcgrew79; 01-30-2015 at 07:45 AM.
lmcgrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgrew79 View Post
I was with my good friend 2 months ago at VIR when his bone stock 8000 mile 2013 z06 Carbon blew an engine. He had a 2007 z06 which also blew at 30k miles but was ok after that for another 20k, gm fixed that one. I think it was a valve guide that time. One reason he upgraded to a 2013 is because we have "thought" they may have fixed the engine problem.This was the first time he took the car on track, we was only there for 1 day and it blew toward the end of the day. The bad part is the rear bumper of the car caught fire im guessing from unburn fuel after the motor blew, it went out very quick but melted the bumper. GM denied the claim today, saying he failed to follow the owners manual for track procedure????? The oil had 100 miles on it, oil levels was fine on track, etc, etc. We checked them in the pits as something you always do.

Its took nearly 2 months for them to get to this point, car has been sitting at local gm dealer for 2 months. He hasn't posted on the corvette forum or anywhere yet, because he is waiting to talk to them one more time before moving forward. I asked if he minded that i posted in hear as a warning if you will.

Considering we share that engine that all brings me to this. One reason i purchased the Z28 is because i thought gm claims, that if you dont mod the car and do regular maintenance that they will warranty the vehicle for track use. The z06 manual tells you what to do for performance driving. This is very bothersome to me because his car is unmodified, and they simply denied his warranty. I personally know of around 10 ls7 that have blew up on track while i was there. Most i know have been covered. The only ones that haven't i read about have been modded with headers/pcm/cam etc, which i fully understand. Ive considered a new z06, have a 2015 3500 dually, and now this z28. This really pisses me off about GM, im hoping they make things right, but will have to wait a few more weeks to find out. Ill keep you updated.
Wow that sucks. What exactly did he "not follow"?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Just like a new z06 owner went to the track, had an issue on a bone stock c7z, and it took the internet and a huge push on GM to get them to replace the tranny that would keep popping out of gear. If you track a car, i wouldn't expect warranty.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Lightsaber

Drives: conscientiously
Quote:
2007 model year LS7 engine? I thought the valve guide problem only affected 08-11 model years. Here:

Quote:
Hello all,

LS7 Valve guide issue summary:
• Affects a small, number of '08, 09 ’10 and ’11 Z06’s
• GM discovered the condition through our cylinder head warranty data involving a very small percentage of our vehicles.
• Through inspection of returned heads, it was determined that a machining error in the valve guide had occurred at our head supplier.
• The quality issue has been contained as of Feb 2011 with 100% inspection of all heads.
• The most common customer complaint has been excessive valve train noise.
However if the condition is not addressed, it could result in engine failure. To date, where this condition has been observed, it has occurred early in the vehicle life.
What customers need to know: They should drive and enjoy their vehicles without fear. If their car demonstrates this condition, they are likely to hear unusual valvetrain noise first. If you have a concern regarding this issue on your personal vehicle feel free to contact me through private message on this forum and we will work to assist in resolving your concern. Feel free to contact me through Socialmedia@gm.com please put attention Evan in the subject. As always, vehicles that have modifications to the powertrain or the calibrations, are no longer covered by GM's warranty.

Sincerely,
Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
(Source: GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed)

Besides that I'm also curious like Tommy what exactly he did not follow, I also wonder what caused his engine failure in 2013 Corvette Z06. Was it that you suspect these LS7 engines may blow up after prolonged high reving?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
This same issue was discussed in the 1LE forum recently.....Bottom line, is whatever the dealer deems as "abuse" rules the day and can void the warranty regardless of track-worthiness, etc....Good luck...

A lot of it depends on each one's "relationship" with their dealer..

Here's the link, if you're interested...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391680
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
lmcgrew79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Wow that sucks. What exactly did he "not follow"?
Not sure yet, they asked if he had done anything to the car, and he said no. Which is true as the car just came from the dealer 200 miles ago. He check the oil/brake fluid. That was the only thing they told him, im sure he will get a letter or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Just like a new z06 owner went to the track, had an issue on a bone stock c7z, and it took the internet and a huge push on GM to get them to replace the tranny that would keep popping out of gear. If you track a car, i wouldn't expect warranty.
I own 3 track cars, i dont expect warranty or even have warranty anymore on 2 of them, but these cars are advertised as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaber View Post
2007 model year LS7 engine? I thought the valve guide problem only affected 08-11 model years. Here:

(Source: GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed)

Besides that I'm also curious like Tommy what exactly he did not follow, I also wonder what caused his engine failure in 2013 Corvette Z06. Was it that you suspect these LS7 engines may blow up after prolonged high reving?
We thought it was fixed after 2011 as well. They never even tore the engine apart, its still sitting at the dealers lot.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Unreal

Nope, all LS7s from 06 to 2013 in the vette have dropped valves and had guide issues.

2012-2013 had serious bearing issues and a lot of people lost motors at early age from bearings.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
lmcgrew79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Nope, all LS7s from 06 to 2013 in the vette have dropped valves and had guide issues.

2012-2013 had serious bearing issues and a lot of people lost motors at early age from bearings.
Hopefully that is fixed on ours.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
this sucks...need a head swap on these motors ASAP to prevent the valve guide issue...that won't help the bearings. Are the Camaro LS7's prone to the same issues? GM resolved it maybe??
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #10
lmcgrew79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
this sucks...need a head swap on these motors ASAP to prevent the valve guide issue...that won't help the bearings. Are the Camaro LS7's prone to the same issues? GM resolved it maybe??
I have no idea, the only thing ive found is in a z28 650 video with John Hennessy, he mentions something about the head design being different. Maybe someone should call Hennessy Performance and ask.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
How many miles were on the car before he went to the track?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
lmcgrew79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
How many miles were on the car before he went to the track?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Then I would run it up the GM ladder....something doesn't seem right?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #14
Unreal

Quote:
Hopefully that is fixed on ours.
Very much doubt it. Z28 motors are just left overs from the vettes, no changes in part numbers or anything on the heads or motors. I would plan on checking the heads for wear at 10k and budget 2-3k for head rebuild.

It is already been hashed out on Corvette forum. Part number and everything for the z28 heads is identical, no changes to the vette heads. Hennesey was just spewing word vomit.