Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-21-2017, 05:04 AM   #71
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Case closed?...Problem solved?.....
My conversations at fest all lead to alignment. I was slammed busy there and now back to work so zero time to do anything yet.

First question I was asked concerning alignment is does it get worse with DRs which is yes and when I actually posted this thread. I need to get it on an alignment rack and also check all the links. Back on stock tires at the fest it did fine (not perfect tho). Road track with the hard turns and G's I don't experience this.

I do have a clicking end link on the front end that needs fixing as well.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #72
NicD

Drives: Camaro
Actually I am pretty sure I felt the same thing the other day when I rolled into it, not out of control or anything like that but it just didn't feel "planted" and it felt different. Maybe I will get underneath it and check the torque on the rear suspension bits because it's all stock.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #73
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I'm posting to keep updated on your progress. Something is wrong. I can tell you that I can take both of my Camaros to 190+ without touching the wheel and dart in and out of traffic at any speed with no sense of instability. My cars are crazy rock stable. Now when I mount the drag radials..... waaaaay to much sidewall sway so it magnifies any sudden lateral movement. I would have the alignment checked and then have them look at the differential. It sounds to me like you are not locking and then getting undesirable torque vectoring from the rear that is making it dance. It may be hard to get a dealer to reproduce this or address it. Good luck.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #74
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I'm posting to keep updated on your progress. Something is wrong. I can tell you that I can take both of my Camaros to 190+ without touching the wheel and dart in and out of traffic at any speed with no sense of instability. My cars are crazy rock stable. Now when I mount the drag radials..... waaaaay to much sidewall sway so it magnifies any sudden lateral movement. I would have the alignment checked and then have them look at the differential. It sounds to me like you are not locking and then getting undesirable torque vectoring from the rear that is making it dance. It may be hard to get a dealer to reproduce this or address it. Good luck.
Well I dropped it off at the dealer (Buckalew Chevrolet) for a full week and got no where. Wrote detailed instructions and all they could seem to focus on was charging me for an alignment which I had no problem paying for if that's what was needed.

I also included endlink bulletin and the clicking noise from front wheels which is a 10 min spray the calipers fix.

I called on day 6 after zero communication and they said the clicking sound was duplicated which tells me they at least drove it. Alignment had not been checked so I told them I was picking it up the next day regardless and they had it long enough.

When I arrive that afternoon they said everything checked out good, nothing was loose and it had been in the air twice. Yet I got no alignment spec sheet and the clicking noise was not fixed. I informed him it was crazy to put in on the rack twice and not at least pull the front wheels and fix the click. Hard to believe they did anything since my phone call let alone all this.

Bottom line is they drove it around and didn't do crap. I really didn't expect them to figure anything out on the fishtailing as you really can't duplicate that without being on a closed track but damn, at least take care of the easy stuff.

I'll probably just trade this in on a 19 ZLE anyway so my modding this one has taken a back seat for now.

I'll get it on a rack myself and get a reputable alignment shop to take a look at it next time I get time which has been my biggest obstacle
Old 10-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #75
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Well I dropped it off at the dealer (Buckalew Chevrolet) for a full week and got no where. Wrote detailed instructions and all they could seem to focus on was charging me for an alignment which I had no problem paying for if that's what was needed.

I also included endlink bulletin and the clicking noise from front wheels which is a 10 min spray the calipers fix.

I called on day 6 after zero communication and they said the clicking sound was duplicated which tells me they at least drove it. Alignment had not been checked so I told them I was picking it up the next day regardless and they had it long enough.

When I arrive that afternoon they said everything checked out good, nothing was loose and it had been in the air twice. Yet I got no alignment spec sheet and the clicking noise was not fixed. I informed him it was crazy to put in on the rack twice and not at least pull the front wheels and fix the click. Hard to believe they did anything since my phone call let alone all this.

Bottom line is they drove it around and didn't do crap. I really didn't expect them to figure anything out on the fishtailing as you really can't duplicate that without being on a closed track but damn, at least take care of the easy stuff.

I'll probably just trade this in on a 19 ZLE anyway so my modding this one has taken a back seat for now.

I'll get it on a rack myself and get a reputable alignment shop to take a look at it next time I get time which has been my biggest obstacle

I've got a few things I need done to my car too Mike. Thanks for saving me the problem of wasting my time with Buckalew; I suspected as much based on previous interactions with them.

Any suggestions on the next place to try?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #76
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Sorry to hear this but if you drive these cars at the level they are able to perform you almost need to find a race mechanic that understands what you are telling them rather than a guy at the dealership.... I think the ZLE is an awesome option and if I didn't have so much money in my current Camaros I might buy one also.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #77
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I've got a few things I need done to my car too Mike. Thanks for saving me the problem of wasting my time with Buckalew; I suspected as much based on previous interactions with them.

Any suggestions on the next place to try?
I've had good luck at Parkway in Tomball. Service adviser David Croft moved to sales but their maintenance on my Tahoe and previous Camaros has been good. (except for that brake fluid they dripped on my painted ZL1 calipers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Sorry to hear this but if you drive these cars at the level they are able to perform you almost need to find a race mechanic that understands what you are telling them rather than a guy at the dealership.... I think the ZLE is an awesome option and if I didn't have so much money in my current Camaros I might buy one also.
You are very correct on that and I didn't expect much. What I did expect was to at least get the small stuff taken care of over the course of a week. Kind of why I'm not going to tie up a bunch of cash. But I like the A10 so much I may even keep it.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:34 PM   #78
Harry76

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
The Elsd is designed to allow one wheel to turn at a different speed than the other when cornering, if you turn the steering wheel it adjusts the clutch pressure on the one side.
Could counter steering to correct the fishtail be inducing this even more, as we turn the wheel back and forth it is applying pressure from side to side?
Harry76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #79
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry76 View Post
The Elsd is designed to allow one wheel to turn at a different speed than the other when cornering, if you turn the steering wheel it adjusts the clutch pressure on the one side.
Could counter steering to correct the fishtail be inducing this even more, as we turn the wheel back and forth it is applying pressure from side to side?
That is what I attributed this to in the beginning and still may stand true. Hitting uneven pavement going straight line and adjusting steering for that seems to induce it. I will say on the road track at NCM this was a non-issue.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 AM   #80
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
No problems as you've described. I am curious to see your alignment sheet once provided. I have been all over the spectrum on alignment and still haven't felt what you illustrate. It does get a little floaty with 325's/305's though. I prefer that feeling on track for some reason. Weird that way.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #81
NOGO17Z

Drives: NFG17ZL1
Have those of you with similar concerns come up with any guesses/evidence as to what is the cause? Did an alignment help in correcting any of this?

I am beginning to think it is all diff related. Has a diff fluid change made this better or worse?

Thanks
NOGO17Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #82
Ricco

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert A10
So, just checking I got this right...

You posted this in July last year and still haven't taken it to a regular alignment shop to have the alignment checked? I saw where you took it to the dealer in Oct (3 months later) and they claimed to have checked it but you didn't get any info on what alignment specs they found, or set to (so in all likelihood they didn't do it). You are putting the issue down to quirkiness of the ELSD and now intend on trading your car due to what would appear to be a fairly simple alignment issue?

Wow - I wish I had your patience and/or money. Good luck with the new car.
2005 STI
2001 2.5 RS

Previous cars in chronological order
2016 GT350, 2014 MEV Rocket, 2013 Nissan Qashqai + 2, 1.6L Diesel, 2010 Nissan Note 1.5L Diesel, 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins, 2009 Subaru Impreza STI, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 1997 Subaru Impreza Catalunya special Edition, 1992 Daihatsu Charade GTti, 1978 Mk1 Ford Fiesta
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #83
RedHot18

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I've had mine to 170 mph on Daytona and it was rock steady. Sounds like you have some issues, mine does have a tendency to wander sometimes on a poor road due to the width of the tires but other than that it runs straight.
RedHot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #84
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
So, just checking I got this right...

You posted this in July last year and still haven't taken it to a regular alignment shop to have the alignment checked? I saw where you took it to the dealer in Oct (3 months later) and they claimed to have checked it but you didn't get any info on what alignment specs they found, or set to (so in all likelihood they didn't do it). You are putting the issue down to quirkiness of the ELSD and now intend on trading your car due to what would appear to be a fairly simple alignment issue?

Wow - I wish I had your patience and/or money. Good luck with the new car.
DAMN, that's a pretty big assumption to make... that I would trade a car over an alignment issue and that I'm putting anything down to ELSD. However, my plans are to go with a 2019 ZLE so when the time is right it will happen, but nothing in this thread would have any bearing on a trade.

Alignment was actually done in December at a different dealer with minor adjustments made (I will post the sheet) and I really haven't had any problems since. Haven't hit the drag strip either, but did do quite a few 0-60 pulls and even gave it some hits on uneven pavement trying to duplicate this but all seems fine now.