Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
2016 Mustang GT vs 2016 Camaro SS

Would like to hear your opinions on the pricing controversy lately with 6gen SS models which apparently is pushing some folks to go with Ford. They claim a GT is 5K cheaper than the 1SS model. That's for the stripped down GT, which is hard to find anywhere. All the GT's in my area are premium and listed between 42-44K. Then if we compare scat pack challenger, some people also claim it's 40K flat. Again this is not true, it's impossible to find at that price. It is well north of 40. So why are people complaining about price point of the new SS?

When it offers better performance, performance quality, balance , handling, suspension than all other muscle cars. I don't care about unbalanced cars such as the Challenger hellcat that have high up engines in them as selling point. Kind of like the previous GT500, an unbalanced car. The Camaro on other hand utilizes the power properly , and doesn't just shove 700hp into a hottub to make sales.

Let's list advantages of the new camaro against competition and then discuss if price is justifiable in your opinion.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I chalk it up to people being crazy. They are all about the same when comparing vehicles equipment alike. If I'm buying a performance car, I care much more about what the car has to offer than if it cost a couple grand less than the competitors. If I have to worry about the cost that much then I can't afford it or at least probably shouldn't.

Last edited by motorhead; 09-21-2015 at 08:53 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I chalk it up to people being crazy. They are all about the same when comparing vehicles equipment alike. If I'm buying a performance car, I care much more about what the car has to offer than if it cost a couple grand less than the competitors. If I have to worry about the cost that must then I can't afford it or at least probably shouldn't.
I agree, problem with some folks is they are stacking up options and shocked at final price. Any car loaded will increase in price. Keep in mind، the 6th gen has 3 major options the Mustang doesn't: MRC , A8 , NPP. I'm sure there are more that I can't think of off the top of my head. Also I'm positive mustang will only allow the 9 speaker system in the premium model. Camaro allows the new Bose system as a option I'm sure. Some people will argue for price GT offers decent package. Thats true but for few thousand extra you are getting improved SS which will have best of all worlds. It will sound like a muscle car but handle really well and more sporty vibe to it. The upgrades will make it fun in daily driving and twisties. Hence probably draw in import consumer base as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
I agree, problem with some folks is they are stacking up options and shocked at final price. Any car loaded will increase in price. Keep in mind، the 6th gen has 3 major options the Mustang doesn't: MRC , A8 , NPP. I'm sure there are more that I can't think of off the top of my head. Also I'm positive mustang will only allow the 9 speaker system in the premium model. Camaro allows the new Bose system as a option I'm sure. Some people will argue for price GT offers decent package. Thats true but for few thousand extra you are getting improved SS which will have best of all worlds. It will sound like a muscle car but handle really well and more sporty vibe to it. The upgrades will make it fun in daily driving and twisties. Hence probably draw in import consumer base as well.
Plus it is fricking awesome looking.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Plus it is fricking awesome looking.
At first I thought the front end was bad, then it grew on me. In this video it looks really sharp and aggressive :

Old 09-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #6
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
The base GT isn't quite as stripped out as a lot of people like to claim either. It does come with several nice options standard... I think the pricing difference WILL hurt Camaro sales. To what extent? Too early to say.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1LE View Post
The base GT isn't quite as stripped out as a lot of people like to claim either. It does come with several nice options standard... I think the pricing difference WILL hurt Camaro sales. To what extent? Too early to say.
Mustang will still probably sell more, but Camaro sales will bring more profit of each unit. The Camaro put itself in a new league now. It is now at the top with the Charger SRT8. The Charger has high power, good interior quality/design, quality exterior design. GM improved the new Camaro's interior, made the exterior more agressive/sporty, and improved the performance. It will perform possibly even better than the SRT8 stock for stock. And still offer traditional six speed manual unlike the Charger. The Mustang is no longer in the same league, it can still sell more because of the lower prices/rebates.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Would like to hear your opinions on the pricing controversy lately with 6gen SS models which apparently is pushing some folks to go with Ford. They claim a GT is 5K cheaper than the 1SS model. That's for the stripped down GT, which is hard to find anywhere. All the GT's in my area are premium and listed between 42-44K. Then if we compare scat pack challenger, some people also claim it's 40K flat. Again this is not true, it's impossible to find at that price. It is well north of 40. So why are people complaining about price point of the new SS?

When it offers better performance, performance quality, balance , handling, suspension than all other muscle cars. I don't care about unbalanced cars such as the Challenger hellcat that have high up engines in them as selling point. Kind of like the previous GT500, an unbalanced car. The Camaro on other hand utilizes the power properly , and doesn't just shove 700hp into a hottub to make sales.

Let's list advantages of the new camaro against competition and then discuss if price is justifiable in your opinion.
What you have to remember is that your difficulty in locating a 37k GT or a 40k SP will be that same when trying to find a low/no option 1SS. Dealers rarely stock cars like them.

There Will be those that find them and let everyone know. But if we're going to be honest, they'll be in the minority. Anyone that really wants one in that spec will have to either search quite a bit or just place an order.

So yes, on dealer lots, most GT's and SP's are price much higher than the base msrp. But to think this won't happen on Chevy lots is unrealistic. Then we're at a point when we're comparing 42-44k GT's and SP's well north of 40k, to loaded 2SS Camaros.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #9
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Quote:
And what option does the Camaro have for the GT350, street, strip or track? Chev is dropping the ball on high performance Camaros and I don't think the $4,000+ increase on the SS is going to help.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:10 AM   #10
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
And what option does the Camaro have for the GT350, street, strip or track? Chev is dropping the ball on high performance Camaros and I don't think the $4,000+ increase on the SS is going to help.
Dropping the ball? Seems more than a bit off. This gen, as it should be, will be the best Camaros ever built by GM. They have no reason to build a GT350 rival in the opening year.

Sales will do fine on it being a "new" Camaro. The special editions and hi-po models will come in the next few years, to keep the excitment up.

Hell, if they played their whole hand as soon as the gates opened what would keep people buying cars 5 or 6 years into gen 6...paint/sticker packages?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:46 AM   #11
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
And how many here in this thread have driven a new 6th gen? *crickets* While I like the newer design for the most part, it's not so much different that makes me want to get rid of any of my current Camaros to get one at this juncture.

As far as I know, I have NO IDEA how the 6th gen is going to compare to value to what we know about the 5th gen and the current Mustang. Certainly not enough to be able to make fake factual statements about it. And I'm not believing any of y'all right now either because YOU haven't driven one for evaluation.

I do suspect it will be better all-around performance since GM cannot just sit on its laurels with the new body. If it doesn't pull its own weight (which should likely be easier now that it's lighter AND more powerful) nobody will buy it and Chevy isn't going to want a flop on its hands.

It'll be better- it'll be this or that....psht. Nobody knows for sure yet. Pure speculation to date. I'm going to wait and see. One thing we DO know- it'll be expensive. But it's par for the course. Like Scott has said, V8s are going to start carrying a heavier premium.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Its too soon to call a winner in sales between the SS and GT (or Camaro vs. Mustang). What Chevy will need to do, however, is to launch an aggressive advertising campaign featuring the Camaro (similar to what they did with the 5th gen, but with some unique changes).

In all I happen to like the 6th Gen Camaro, but there are a couple of things about it that I'm not sold on. I might be a minority on its interior, but to me its a bit of a let-down. The dash looks strange and small, and the interior in general seems small (materials are probably better). I am not yet sold on the oversized front air dam, but its not a deal breaker either.

This should be a very fierce match up between Camaro and Mustang.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #13
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:

If there is a 5k price difference, it will hurt sales of the new Camaro. Most people who buy these cars aren't car freaks like us guys on this forum.

All they know is, it's a cool looking car, it's fast and if they can afford the payments, they want it.... If that means they can afford a V8 Mustang, versus a V6 Camaro, then the Mustang will be the one for them.

I really hope Chevrolet does some kind of advertising campaign for the new car. This past week, I received a huge color brochure on the new Mustang. It came directly from Ford. It wasn't just a dealer ad. I haven't seen anything on the new Camaro.

My opinion is, I am worried about the new Camaro sales. I think GM played it too safe on the styling. It looks too much like the 5th Gen. That's not a bad thing, but it's not enough difference for the average Joe to notice. It's also not enough difference to make 5th gen owners want to run out and trade up. They've priced it high and they don't seem to be advertising it too much. That's not a recipe for success.

You can list performance advantages all day, but any car salesman will tell you.. Styling and payment amount is what sells most cars.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Racin J

Drives: 2012 2LS Black, K&N, Nittos
I was really hopin GM would step up and give us a 350 hp v6, that could still perform well and have a lower price than the SS..not sayin 323 hp is bad but cmon...the technology is there stop sandbaggin the v6 and be on top of that game. The LSX engines are already awesome, lets see how well the v6 can be pushed
Racin J is offline   Reply With Quote