The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #29
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Waiting lists? How many did/are they making? If all those orders turn into actual sales, does that bring the total EV's on the road in the US today from 1.5% to 2%..?? Also, what is the point of comparing a Ford EV pickup or SUV, to a Chevy Camaro? Compare the Ford Lightening sales to the Ford F150 sales or the Ford Mach E to the Ford Explorer. Apples to Apples...
My point is that some of us car enthusiasts (I consider myself an enthusiast) are saying “nobody’s gonna buy these electric appliances” when the facts show that more people are buying them than are buying enthusiast vehicles. So basically we are the tail trying to wag the dog. The Mustang Mach E outsold the Mustang Coupe in July. A summer month where enthusiast cars sell best. And Mustang Coupe outsold all other enthusiast vehicles.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #30
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Perfect time for GM to change their plans and re-design the Camaro, then continue production. Build a twin turbo V6 and turn it loose. Then a hybrid V6 single turbo, then kick some serious ass. Maybe even an all-wheel drive version later on. Just can't do an electric car.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:17 AM   #31
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junction65 View Post
"You will own nothing and be happy"
Indeed. the public has allowed itself to go in this direction. mostly because they don't value the experience of driving as much as the other things they can spend money on or need.

our kinds of vehicles are a privilege... they serve no good purpose except being fun because they are fast and loud. they don't really fit in the lives of people who can never make use of that speed and don't find it fun to drive. and that's the majority, by far.

this has been our future regardless of what powers cars.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:23 AM   #32
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
I especially like the part where they are increasing Coal Powerplant output to help the demand placed on needed electricity... doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting away from ICE vehicles? It is happening in the US and in Europe already. The world has never made sense and it is making even less sense with each passing moment.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:27 AM   #33
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
My point is that some of us car enthusiasts (I consider myself an enthusiast) are saying “nobody’s gonna buy these electric appliances” when the facts show that more people are buying them than are buying enthusiast vehicles. So basically we are the tail trying to wag the dog. The Mustang Mach E outsold the Mustang Coupe in July. A summer month where enthusiast cars sell best. And Mustang Coupe outsold all other enthusiast vehicles.
I don't know why every once and a while I make a post in these EV threads. I normally refrain because they are all the same talking points over and over and over and over... And on that note.. I'm out of this one too.. LOL
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #34
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Most of the people on these forums can afford them. The reality is most of the people in the world cannot.

If you can afford to heavily modify your camaro you are not in the same trenches as the rest of the people.

$40,000+ is not affordable for about 75% of the U.S.

So no its not that far fetched to say MOST people won't buy an EV not because they don't want to because they simply cannot afford one.

I haven't bought a brand new car ever in my life. Do I make ok money yes, but I don't make enough to drop $10,000 in upgrades on my car. Much less can I afford to buy a $40,000+ EV either.

It's all about what is practical and what isn't. EV"s won't be practical within the next 5-10 years for most people. The infrastructure simply doesn't support them let alone cost to own one.
Indeed. However, those vehicles will eventually end up on the used market. This is still, for all intents and purposes, emerging technology. It's not completely established yet and it has a ways to go before it becomes more viable for a wider audience. But that's alright, look how long it took flat-plane-crank V8's to become available to a class of people who were never able to afford them prior. Not everyone wanted them but, a core group of people did; and that's great to have that option.

I, for one, am going to get the new Blazer EV SS. Sure, it's like $60k or something but, I'm getting it because I want to support GM's efforts in this transition and it'll make for a great commuter for my family and I. If I ever had to take an extended trip, I'd plan a charging route or, I'd just use a different vehicle.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #35
MadeInHB

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
Lol…. The majority of humans aren’t ice centric like us. When electric becomes affordable most will be happy not to buy gas….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until electric rates go up, the grid starts failing and they find out they can’t drive as much because of recharge times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MadeInHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:48 AM   #36
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I’m manufacturing 10 X products a year and because I’m not very good at it (Mach E recall anyone?) and 20 people want my X product there are waiting lists. Meanwhile my competitor is manufacturing 10,000 Y products but only selling 9,000 leading to Y products sitting on the lot.

I therefore conclude that my X products which are selling 20 units a year are more in demand than my competitors Y products which are selling 9,000 units a year.

This is the reasoning of an imbecile.
A couple of imbeciles got together and assembled this list of vehicles delivered to customers last month. The green ones are EVs that nobody wants.

July Vehicle Deliveries
Dodge Charger: 8,755
Mach E: 4,970
Dodge Challenger: 4,667
Chevy Bolt EUV: 3,541
Ford Mustang: 3,367
Volkswagen ID.4: 2,730
Chevrolet Camaro: 2,448
Chevrolet Corvette: 2,283
Hyundai Ioniq 5: 1,978
Kia EV6: 1,716

Toyota 86: 1,497
Toyota Supra: 532
Mazda Miata: 268
Subaru BRZ: 228
BMW Z4: 175
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 08-16-2022, 09:48 AM   #37
BLACK21SS
Oldman w/a teenager brain

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
Lol…. The majority of humans aren’t ice centric like us. When electric becomes affordable most will be happy not to buy gas….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Electric becoming affordable.”

That’s a good one. How’s that going to happen? Solar? Windmills?

This nation is 30 years behind on electric power infrastructure. Let’s see how much they enjoy their electric cars when it costs them $1 per kw.

Quote:
Until electric rates go up, the grid starts failing and they find out they can’t drive as much because of recharge times.
Spot on.
BLACK21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #38
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Indeed. However, those vehicles will eventually end up on the used market. This is still, for all intents and purposes, emerging technology. It's not completely established yet and it has a ways to go before it becomes more viable for a wider audience. But that's alright, look how long it took flat-plane-crank V8's to become available to a class of people who were never able to afford them prior. Not everyone wanted them but, a core group of people did; and that's great to have that option.

I, for one, am going to get the new Blazer EV SS. Sure, it's like $60k or something but, I'm getting it because I want to support GM's efforts in this transition and it'll make for a great commuter for my family and I. If I ever had to take an extended trip, I'd plan a charging route or, I'd just use a different vehicle.
Ditto the bold part. Plus, the $66k will be offset by the incentives allowed under the IRA bill that just passed, and the savings in gas over the life cycle of the vehicle.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #39
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I was thinking about this yesterday when I was mowing my lawn with my electric mower. I freaking LOVE my electric yard tools. Quiet and easy to recharge, way easier than dealing with a gas can etc., and the technology has become comparable to ICE in capability.

That said, the thought of having a car that relies on me having electricity is very scary to me. There's just no way I would make such a decision with the infrastructure my city/state currently has, and without my own generator.

It's going to take at least 10 years to get to the point where I would consider a EV, and even at that point I will also have an ICE for peace of mind.

I do want a hybrid though, a new Lexus Rx Hybrid in the next year or so would be great.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #40
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK21SS View Post
“Electric becoming affordable.”

That’s a good one. How’s that going to happen? Solar? Windmills?

This nation is 30 years behind on electric power infrastructure. Let’s see how much they enjoy their electric cars when it costs them $1 per kw.

Spot on.
Thing is, if it costs EV owners $1/kWh it will cost all of us $1/kWh. For everything. Including the electricity to keep our lights on and our food cold.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #41
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Main thing I've noticed is if I want to read about EVs I need to come here to the 'Dodge ending Challenger & Charger production thread, and if I want to read posts about Dodge ending Challenger & Charger production I need to go to the new electric Camaro thread, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #42
3LT

Drives: Waiting since 02/2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I don't directly associate my satisfaction with a vehicle with the number of cylinders it has, it's exhaust note, or how many inches I think it adds to my manhood by having a particular engine in it. Driving, to me, is a dynamic experience and if only one portion of that changes but the rest of the vehicle is engaging to drive, I'm all in.
You're rare around here then lol. Most V8 heads are just audiophiles who won't admin it.
3LT is offline   Reply With Quote