The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #15
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
I thought Ford Lightening, Tesla, Rivian and others bumped prices in the past year. There are probably a few exceptions of lowered prices but in general average EV cost is increasing on existing models.

The current Dodgehwy93 commercial is the best yet. Sad to see them go. If I could afford, I would have a ZL1, Hellcat and GT350R in my garage.
Ford did just increase the price on the base model lighting to $47,000 up from $40,000 The top end lightning is now $97,000
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #16
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I’m manufacturing 10 X products a year and because I’m not very good at it (Mach E recall anyone?) and 20 people want my X product there are waiting lists. Meanwhile my competitor is manufacturing 10,000 Y products but only selling 9,000 leading to Y products sitting on the lot.

I therefore conclude that my X products which are selling 20 units a year are more in demand than my competitors Y products which are selling 9,000 units a year.

This is the reasoning of an imbecile.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #17
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Looks like the party is starting to wind down when it comes to ICE performance cars. Late 60s/early 70s deja vu all over again. Get them while you can for sure.

Just to be clear, EVs are the future and I wouldn't be opposed to having one eventually. With the right setup, performance is on a whole other level.

The reality of the situation though is a little different this time. If the PTB were serious about green energy, there would be an increase in nuclear plants being built and coming online. In addition, the power grid doesn't need to be built with foreign-built components that could allow for intrusion and malicious actions by bad actors. Actual secure, functional and efficient infrastructure still needs to be built out nationwide. For example, take a new EV F150 towing a camper or boat and try to fit into one of those charging stations parking spaces without blocking half the parking lot and disrupting traffic flow. Battery and charging technology is nowhere as advanced as it needs to be currently.

The green energy transition in its current iteration will be painful. The effort is nothing more than a political money grab and all those orders for EVs are merely sheep lining up to be fleeced.

Tesla, Ford and GM Raise EV Prices as Costs, Demand Grow

Most electric vehicles won’t qualify for federal tax credit
Current mileage: 310

Last edited by Junction65; 08-16-2022 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added links to articles
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:56 AM   #18
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
So, I get how people don't like EVs but, for many of us, there is a logical reason for wanting to own one. Is it right for everyone? No, absolutely not. But to assume that no one will buy them, is just silly. I have absolutely no qualms about purchasing a fully electric or hybrid sports car if it becomes available and isn't exorbitantly expensive. The C8 E-Ray is incredibly high on my list to the point where the Z06 isn't really a concern for me at all.

The exhaust note is part of the driving experience, sure but, it's only a part of it. I don't directly associate my satisfaction with a vehicle with the number of cylinders it has, it's exhaust note, or how many inches I think it adds to my manhood by having a particular engine in it. Driving, to me, is a dynamic experience and if only one portion of that changes but the rest of the vehicle is engaging to drive, I'm all in.
Most of the people on these forums can afford them. The reality is most of the people in the world cannot.

If you can afford to heavily modify your camaro you are not in the same trenches as the rest of the people.

$40,000+ is not affordable for about 75% of the U.S.

So no its not that far fetched to say MOST people won't buy an EV not because they don't want to because they simply cannot afford one.

I haven't bought a brand new car ever in my life. Do I make ok money yes, but I don't make enough to drop $10,000 in upgrades on my car. Much less can I afford to buy a $40,000+ EV either.

It's all about what is practical and what isn't. EV"s won't be practical within the next 5-10 years for most people. The infrastructure simply doesn't support them let alone cost to own one.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:08 AM   #19
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The whole EV thing would be great if I were given a choice. You could drive an EV and I could drive an ICE, or visa versa.

The problem is when we are DICTATED to drive what other people think I should be driving and assuming my needs are similar to their transportation needs (or wants).
Old 08-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #20
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I was born in the wrong generation, man. Being 27, I won’t be able to enjoy a long period of screaming bald Eagle V8s. Instead, oversized power wheels that only gives enjoymenThankst for 3 seconds then boring. All for the sake of the “environment”.
And I’m sure the EPA will be all in on performance EV’s after they help facilitate the end of ICE V8’s… If sources are correct, they receive another $27B from us via the ‘inflation reduction’ act- 3x their annual funding?!

There will be entertainment value in watching the slow motion train wreck that ensues, however. As long you have an ICE V8 car and a generator (and gasoline of course), just go long on popcorn.

At 27, you might not be familiar with or appreciate Rush, but listen to Red Barchetta and read the lyrics.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:32 AM   #21
David Gordon

Drives: 2018 Grandsport Corvette
My commute is 380 miles. No electric for me.
2018 Gransport
2018 GT Premium
2009 ZO6
2008 Z-51 Vette
2001 Stroked/ blown C-5
2001 SS
1998 SS vert.
Garage
2020 Range Rover V-8
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum Powerboost
David Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #22
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
EV prices are going up, not down. Electricity prices are going up, not down. When exactly is this nirvana of inexpensive electricity, and long range quickly rechargeable EVs going to arrive?
Inexpensive electricity nirvana? Never going to happen. Long range quickly rechargeable EVs? Will be available in inexpensive electricity nirvana
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #23
LT1gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I’m manufacturing 10 X products a year and because I’m not very good at it (Mach E recall anyone?) and 20 people want my X product there are waiting lists. Meanwhile my competitor is manufacturing 10,000 Y products but only selling 9,000 leading to Y products sitting on the lot.

I therefore conclude that my X products which are selling 20 units a year are more in demand than my competitors Y products which are selling 9,000 units a year. This is the reasoning of an imbecile.
Or genius, if profitability for scenario A is greater. Just love the concept of diminishing returns, whereby increased output decreases profit. Continue on that path to financial ruin. .
Old 08-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #24
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
Or genius, if profitability for scenario A is greater. Just love the concept of diminishing returns, whereby increased output decreases profit. Continue on that path to financial ruin. .
Can't argue with that, particularly when Scenario A manufacturer is getting paid by both the purchaser AND the taxpayers, while Scenario B manufacturer has to succeed or fail strictly on the basis of the desirability of their product.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #25
LT1gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
The whole EV thing would be great if I were given a choice. You could drive an EV and I could drive an ICE, or visa versa.
Maybe people will be surprised by upcoming hybrid technology. Live happily in both worlds at once? Maybe
Old 08-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #26
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
not sure why this is so ev centric of a topic. this type of vehicle was on this trajectory before ev was a major talking point, much less a major plan.

this is a niche vehicle that is not practical in a economy that has sucked the discretionary money out of the market that would buy them.
the rise of suv's and similar crossovers made this all pretty clear well over a decade ago. car ownership in general is a bad financial decision, so it makes sense that less practical vehicles enjoyed mostly by low and mid income people will be the first to go. we're headed to a car as a service future where nobody owns their vehicle, they rent as needed via an uber like service. with less variety because of that point nobody will care about brands or models. financially that eventuality seems guaranteed to be the way the majority will interact with cars. it'll happen quickly too once cars drive themselves reliably. we're just living in the transitional period.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #27
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
not sure why this is so ev centric of a topic. this type of vehicle was on this trajectory before ev was a major talking point, much less a major plan.

this is a niche vehicle that is not practical in a economy that has sucked the discretionary money out of the market that would buy them.
the rise of suv's and similar crossovers made this all pretty clear well over a decade ago. car ownership in general is a bad financial decision, so it makes sense that less practical vehicles enjoyed mostly by low and mid income people will be the first to go. we're headed to a car as a service future where nobody owns their vehicle, they rent as needed via an uber like service. with less variety because of that point nobody will care about brands or models. financially that eventuality seems guaranteed to be the way the majority will interact with cars. it'll happen quickly too once cars drive themselves reliably. we're just living in the transitional period.
"You will own nothing and be happy"
Current mileage: 310
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #28
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
Unfortunately you are right. We are a dying breed. My next project might be a classic car instead of a new one.
X100
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote