The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detail, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
Newbee questions

I picked up my first Corvette last week and have a few questions.

- Assuming I didn't want to use a protective bra, what other options are recommended?

- Is there some sort of bush or cleaning tool that can reach through the wheel to clean the inner wheel surface?

- Is the GM battery trickle charger on the C7 any good, or am I better off using a Tender charger?

- Cleartastic products... Do they work? I noticed their website says "light adhesive" ... if I wanted to, can this product be removed with damaging the paint?

- Best indoor car cover?

Thanks in advance
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
SR-71, for paint protection without a bra, go with Xpel clear film. Its very durable, self-healing to an extent, and can be removed at a later date with no harm to the paint. Nearly everyone in my local club who has bought a new Corvette has it installed. Its perhaps a little pricey, but can be applied where no bra has ever gone, such as rocker panels and rear spoilers.

There are a couple of brushes that work well for cleaning wheels. I use one I picked up at the NCM (though I've seen it other places for a similar price). I don't recall the name of it, but its about 6"-7" diameter, perhaps 14" long at the bristles, which are red & black and taper at the end. It has a handle with a nice little pommel guard to keep from banging knuckles. I've used it for a year now on my Stingray wheels with no signs of scratching. Just keep in mind it does great for basic dirt and brake dust but it won't remove road tar. You'll still need to remove the wheel for that.

The GM battery protection device is a trickle charger/maintainer by Ctek. It's a very good device and I strongly recommend using it if you don't plan to drive your Stingray for a couple weeks or more. I use one on my '74 Stingray and have had no problem starting it even after a couple months.

Regarding Cleartastic, skip it. It's a thin, cheap material. Better off spending a little more and getting Xpel.
And as for an indoor cover, I don't use one, but be sure to get one that is soft and breathes. Don't use any cover made of vinyl. A guy in my club did that and ruined the paint on his '78.

Hope this helps! Perhaps others can chime in with more info.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
Thanks for the info and tips purpleRac3r. Very much appreciated.

I'm planning on visiting the Corvette Museum in the few weeks, and really looking forward to it.

From what I've been reading, it looks like XPEL is the way to go. I'm looking in to it.

I considered the Factory Delivery Option but dealers that I talked to couldn't give me any idea when my car would be built, or even if they could get an allocation. Luckily I was able to find what I wanted on a showroom floor.

141 Views on my thread and only 1 reply. Interesting...
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
SR-71, for paint protection without a bra, go with Xpel clear film. Its very durable, self-healing to an extent, and can be removed at a later date with no harm to the paint. Nearly everyone in my local club who has bought a new Corvette has it installed. Its perhaps a little pricey, but can be applied where no bra has ever gone, such as rocker panels and rear spoilers.

There are a couple of brushes that work well for cleaning wheels. I use one I picked up at the NCM (though I've seen it other places for a similar price). I don't recall the name of it, but its about 6"-7" diameter, perhaps 14" long at the bristles, which are red & black and taper at the end. It has a handle with a nice little pommel guard to keep from banging knuckles. I've used it for a year now on my Stingray wheels with no signs of scratching. Just keep in mind it does great for basic dirt and brake dust but it won't remove road tar. You'll still need to remove the wheel for that.

The GM battery protection device is a trickle charger/maintainer by Ctek. It's a very good device and I strongly recommend using it if you don't plan to drive your Stingray for a couple weeks or more. I use one on my '74 Stingray and have had no problem starting it even after a couple months.

Regarding Cleartastic, skip it. It's a thin, cheap material. Better off spending a little more and getting Xpel.
And as for an indoor cover, I don't use one, but be sure to get one that is soft and breathes. Don't use any cover made of vinyl. A guy in my club did that and ruined the paint on his '78.

Hope this helps! Perhaps others can chime in with more info.

purpleRac3r is correct in my opinion....
and is very knowledgeable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Thanks for the info and tips purpleRac3r. Very much appreciated.

I'm planning on visiting the Corvette Museum in the few weeks, and really looking forward to it.

From what I've been reading, it looks like XPEL is the way to go. I'm looking in to it.

I considered the Factory Delivery Option but dealers that I talked to couldn't give me any idea when my car would be built, or even if they could get an allocation. Luckily I was able to find what I wanted on a showroom floor.

141 Views on my thread and only 1 reply. Interesting...
You will absolutely love the Corvette Museum..!!

141 views......1 post...
We need more to join in with Comments & have Fun!!!

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The two brushes that work well are "wheel woolies" and "daytona speedmaster brush"

Google them for vendors....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Our Turbo Stick and Wheel Woolie along with Deep Wheel Cleaner will do a great job on your wheel barrels.
Check out this video!

http://adamspolishes.com/video?video_id=5
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote