The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #43
Brick Man

Drives: Silver Swede
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVTECdailyy View Post
Have they taken the top off the coupe yet? I'm curious as to how easy it is to take off, how much space it takes up in the trunk, and the overall look of the car without the top on.
Yes, Harlan Charles demonstrates taking off the top in this video, from Sebring, a few weeks ago. (Forward to 6:00 to see him open the hatch, and remove the top).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kTw6tBf-8bY

Looks really easy to release, lift and stow in the rear of the car. Here's my concern, the GM engineers keep talking about the extensive use of carbon fiber, and how expensive it is. I wonder if this removable top has a lock, to prevent it from being stolen, or if the aftermarket is going to have to spring into action, to come up with a solution. I can see these getting stolen, like the T-tops from the C-3, if the carbon fiber units are really expensive.

I remember in college, I saw a *very* comely coed that had just parked her new 1982 collectors edition C-3 with the mirrored t-tops in my college campus parking lot, when I was leaving to go to class.

When I returned 3 hours later, she was standing next to a pile of glass crying, where apparently, someone had broken the driver's side window, and removed her T-Tops.
Brick Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #44
iVTECdailyy

Drives: 2005 Acura TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Man View Post
Yes, Harlan Charles demonstrates taking off the top in this video, from Sebring, a few weeks ago. (Forward to 6:00 to see him open the hatch, and remove the top).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kTw6tBf-8bY

Looks really easy to release, lift and stow in the rear of the car. Here's my concern, the GM engineers keep talking about the extensive use of carbon fiber, and how expensive it is. I wonder if this removable top has a lock, to prevent it from being stolen, or if the aftermarket is going to have to spring into action, to come up with a solution. I can see these getting stolen, like the T-tops from the C-3, if the carbon fiber units are really expensive.

I remember in college, I saw a *very* comely coed that had just parked her new 1982 collectors edition C-3 with the mirrored t-tops in my college campus parking lot, when I was leaving to go to class.

When I returned 3 hours later, she was standing next to a pile of glass crying, where apparently, someone had broken the driver's side window, and removed her T-Tops.

I did see that video but was hoping for a closer / better look. It does seem pretty easy to take off. Hopefully it doesn't take up much room in the back.

You bring up a great point (about theft). I feel like we live in a world where a car alarm means nothing. Hopefully C7s won't be exposed to outside elements -- but everyone does not have a garage.
iVTECdailyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #45
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
it probably will lock in exactly the same way the C6's does. Two latches up front on the windshield frame header and the main latch in back. There isn't a separate lock for the removable top that I know of - so if you want to break the windows and steal the top? It could happen I guess.

I believe replacement painted panels for a C6 are $700? Not sure about the polycarbonate transparent top - if you order the 'roof package' with both painted and transparent panels new it was an additional $1,400. So no, they probably won't be cheap. The exposed CF weave will be pricey because they have to make sure the CF is perfect, can't hide a defect under paint.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote