Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Booster

Drives: 2010 Lincoln MKS
Performance Advice for a Noob

Ok so I am waiting on a new 2SS/RS M6, and I want to know what some are some quick, easy, and inexpensive upgrades I can do that will provide the most performance bang for their buck. I consider myself a "car guy" when it comes to citing performance figures, and driving characteristics, and I can drive pretty decently... but my hands on automotive experience is limited to pretty basic stuff, oil changes, spark plugs, batteries, brake pads, starters, and a motor mount once on my 85 cavalier but that’s about it.

Advice is appreciated...! Thanks in advance.

I've been fortunate enough to drive mostly new cars so I haven't had to do many repairs, and I've been unfortunate enough to never have a car worth moding but that's about to change. Just my explanation for lack of knowledge.
Booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Bang for the buck...Supercharger. But if you don't want to spend that much, start out with a CAI. ADM, Rotofab and CAI all make really good ones. They are all around $400 and will get you around 10hp without a tune. You can get a catback exhaust, but you won't see much hp gain, mainly just the sound. You're big gains will be with headers. Right around 30rwhp, but they cost about $1k for the good ones. Some even more.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
Bang for the buck...Supercharger. But if you don't want to spend that much, start out with a CAI. ADM, Rotofab and CAI all make really good ones. They are all around $400 and will get you around 10hp without a tune. You can get a catback exhaust, but you won't see much hp gain, mainly just the sound. You're big gains will be with headers. Right around 30rwhp, but they cost about $1k for the good ones. Some even more.
Thanks!

Now what's a CAI, ADM, and Rotofab.

I told you I was a Noob...I think I am getting a Axelback SLP dealer installed exhaust, they had it on one and it sounded good, unless you think the Catback would be worth doing instead...I want to do something stock exhaust just doesn't sound right when compared. Speaking of Supercharger will I get a lag and whine?

Last edited by Booster; 12-03-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Booster

What about changing gearing? Does anyone make a 3.7x gear for the Camaro yet? Can you get one dealer installed?

Last edited by Booster; 12-03-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Is this a major change/expensive?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
A CAI is a Cold Air Intake. It replaces the stock one. ADM and Rotofab are maker of these products. There are many out there. I have one from ADM Performance. It looks and works great. I also installed a 3" magnaflow catback exhaust. It sounds way better than stock. I have also heard SLP Loudmouth II axle back and it sounds nice too. It is much cheaper than the full catback. There is nolag with a supercharger. They are belt driven off of the crankshaft. As it stands right now there are no replacement gears available. I'm waiting for those as well. Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoirier View Post
A CAI is a Cold Air Intake. It replaces the stock one. ADM and Rotofab are maker of these products. There are many out there. I have one from ADM Performance. It looks and works great. I also installed a 3" magnaflow catback exhaust. It sounds way better than stock. I have also heard SLP Loudmouth II axle back and it sounds nice too. It is much cheaper than the full catback. There is nolag with a supercharger. They are belt driven off of the crankshaft. As it stands right now there are no replacement gears available. I'm waiting for those as well. Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

I appreciate the clarification and I've been doing a little reading, it looks like with CAI, CAMS, HEADERS, and EXhaust I should be able to make 50-75 HP gain. Does that sound right? Any suggestions for a good company combo that won't break the bank?

I just watched some youtube videos, I want something that sounds agressive but not like the mufflers have been removed, this is pretty much my daily driver (except in really bad weather.)

What's the advantage of Catback vs Axel back?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
CharleyKahleys

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS cyber gray/black strip
you can also get a tune there not to much there around $500-$650 and if ur in los angeles i can get u a tune for $500 give's you +50 HP
CharleyKahleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #8
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
Legend17
Army Bound

Drives: 97 Camaro RS
turbo is way cheaper than supercharger and easy to tune for more performance later. there is a lag but it keeps your gas mileage about the same as before. NOS is even cheaper and would be the ultimate bang for your buck. other than that. headers, axle back, CAI are all god upgrades to just free up some power already there. there is a thread dedicated to results of the CAIs. a tune is another way to free up some power. a tune is basically required if you want bigger improvements after installing the other mods.
Legend17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Curt@BMCPerformance

Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster View Post
I appreciate the clarification and I've been doing a little reading, it looks like with CAI, CAMS, HEADERS, and EXhaust I should be able to make 50-75 HP gain. Does that sound right? Any suggestions for a good company combo that won't break the bank?

I just watched some youtube videos, I want something that sounds agressive but not like the mufflers have been removed, this is pretty much my daily driver (except in really bad weather.)

For the amount of money you would be looking at spending on all that plus the installs you may want to really seriously consider a supercharger.
Curt@BMCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
Booster

I would be willing to go either way, which is going to keep the driveability in tact while adding performance? I have heard horror stories about tuned cars. What exactly is "tuned"?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I would be willing to go either way, which is going to keep the driveability in tact while adding performance? I have heard horror stories about tuned cars. What exactly is "tuned"?
IIRC: Reprogramming your computer to make better use of your engine. The '10 Camaro is already finished so well that tunes for it are only getting like 6-20 horsepower. Also a quick, immediate way to void your warranty.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
IIRC: Reprogramming your computer to make better use of your engine. The '10 Camaro is already finished so well that tunes for it are only getting like 6-20 horsepower. Also a quick, immediate way to void your warranty.
yeah, not worth getting a tune in my opinion.

I remember another member, Number 3 (he works for GM), griping about how it is dumb to get a tune... because if you do, it will decrease the life of the engine.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
Livernois Motorsports

Quote:

Check out Livernois Motorsports, they are right in your area. They do almost everything. You won't be sorry.
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote