Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-18-2023, 07:26 AM   #1
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
SBE NA M6 3,900lbs 5th gen still hunting 10s (getting close)

Hey ya'll. I won't lie, I'm a little disappointed that I haven't notched that 10 second pass in this thing yet, but the way life is these days I'm averaging about one trip a year to the track - not really conducive to shaving hundreths of a second off time slips.

The short run down is no major changes this year. I went to a lightweight exhaust setup that shaved about 65lbs, and the driver is probably 10lbs lighter, and I remembered to pull the air filter this time! The combo is:
  • LS3 - GPI Max Package 2.0 (GPI finished Brodix LS7 medium bore heads), Vararam OTR (no filter for track), LSXR intake w/ 103mm TB, GPI Max3 cam, valve-train for 8000rpm (target 7700rpm for shifts), AR long tubes and Xpipe, H.A.R.M ultra-light mufflers. Dyno'd 551whp on pump 93.
  • McLeod RXT clutch, stock TR6060 & shifter, 1pc aluminum driveshaft, Strange Pro-Iron 9" center, 4.63 gear, S-trac diff, G-Force fabbed housing and Renegade axles, VMS 18x5 front, 17x10 rear, QTP 28x11.5x17 (~16psi).
  • Car is 3,900lbs on the starting line, still has heated seats, air conditioning, stereo, all the options and goodies that make it a drive-anywhere street car.

DA was about 1,500'. Best rip was an 11.14@123.8, 1.57 60' time. It knocked out an 11.16 and 11.20 as well, similar short times and mph. So, it's consistent. I need to go try to get in that negative Maryland air in November and see if it'll run that 10 I'm looking for. Maybe I can get there, we'll see.

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #2
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Great job!
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 03:50 PM   #3
johnnyb305mia

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Some Ethanol for fuel will help bump the power up, and some weight off will also help get towards the goal IMO.
johnnyb305mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:39 PM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb305mia View Post
Some Ethanol for fuel will help bump the power up, and some weight off will also help get towards the goal IMO.
I agree completely. It's 11.3:1, and the DCR is fairly mild, so it doesn't stand to pick up a ton, but 10-15whp is right there. Will need to do a fuel pump to support it, already has plenty of injector.

Agree on the weight as well, if I pull stuff like crash bars, sway bar, wipers, washer fluid, etc, there is a bunch of weight that'll come off. The thing is, I like to drive this car, and I put 4-6k miles a year on it, so I'm not willing to give that stuff up. I'm tempted to try a motorcycle battery with a jump box as a quick/cheap way to get 50lbs out of the car, but other than that I'm not sure there is a lot more weight I can get out.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 09-20-2023, 11:34 AM   #5
johnnyb305mia

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I agree completely. It's 11.3:1, and the DCR is fairly mild, so it doesn't stand to pick up a ton, but 10-15whp is right there. Will need to do a fuel pump to support it, already has plenty of injector.

Agree on the weight as well, if I pull stuff like crash bars, sway bar, wipers, washer fluid, etc, there is a bunch of weight that'll come off. The thing is, I like to drive this car, and I put 4-6k miles a year on it, so I'm not willing to give that stuff up. I'm tempted to try a motorcycle battery with a jump box as a quick/cheap way to get 50lbs out of the car, but other than that I'm not sure there is a lot more weight I can get out.
Always a give and take, but I'm sure there are other options as well for the weight and all of that. Still dope to see the progression of the build and the car itself.
johnnyb305mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 05:20 PM   #6
roh

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Hey ya'll. I won't lie, I'm a little disappointed that I haven't notched that 10 second pass in this thing yet, but the way life is these days I'm averaging about one trip a year to the track - not really conducive to shaving hundreths of a second off time slips.

The short run down is no major changes this year. I went to a lightweight exhaust setup that shaved about 65lbs, and the driver is probably 10lbs lighter, and I remembered to pull the air filter this time! The combo is:
  • LS3 - GPI Max Package 2.0 (GPI finished Brodix LS7 medium bore heads), Vararam OTR (no filter for track), LSXR intake w/ 103mm TB, GPI Max3 cam, valve-train for 8000rpm (target 7700rpm for shifts), AR long tubes and Xpipe, H.A.R.M ultra-light mufflers. Dyno'd 551whp on pump 93.
  • McLeod RXT clutch, stock TR6060 & shifter, 1pc aluminum driveshaft, Strange Pro-Iron 9" center, 4.63 gear, S-trac diff, G-Force fabbed housing and Renegade axles, VMS 18x5 front, 17x10 rear, QTP 28x11.5x17 (~16psi).
  • Car is 3,900lbs on the starting line, still has heated seats, air conditioning, stereo, all the options and goodies that make it a drive-anywhere street car.

DA was about 1,500'. Best rip was an 11.14@123.8, 1.57 60' time. It knocked out an 11.16 and 11.20 as well, similar short times and mph. So, it's consistent. I need to go try to get in that negative Maryland air in November and see if it'll run that 10 I'm looking for. Maybe I can get there, we'll see.

Hey! I was there & wondering if that was you. Car looked good! I was going to ask & introduce myself, but got tied up with some friends that came out & never had a chance to find you.

I had better luck. It was my 2nd time out this season & after a string of 11.6xx, I was hoping for a 11.5xx. On my 2nd last run, I decided to load my converter a little harder but it moved in the staging beams & I ended up deep. But it ran 11.60, so I knew if I held the brake harder & stayed shallow i could get my 11.5xx.

When I came back to the lanes, there was nobody there, so I hotlapped & didn't expect much without any cool down at all. The run felt good tho, & I was surprised when I read my ticket 11.44!
I lost a couple mph, not sure why, but I'll take it.

Next time you are going to that track, drop a pm, & if I can make it I'll say hi. Maybe pick up some tips from you, I can use all the help I can get.
roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 07:44 AM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh View Post
Hey! I was there & wondering if that was you. Car looked good! I was going to ask & introduce myself, but got tied up with some friends that came out & never had a chance to find you.

I had better luck. It was my 2nd time out this season & after a string of 11.6xx, I was hoping for a 11.5xx. On my 2nd last run, I decided to load my converter a little harder but it moved in the staging beams & I ended up deep. But it ran 11.60, so I knew if I held the brake harder & stayed shallow i could get my 11.5xx.

When I came back to the lanes, there was nobody there, so I hotlapped & didn't expect much without any cool down at all. The run felt good tho, & I was surprised when I read my ticket 11.44!
I lost a couple mph, not sure why, but I'll take it.

Next time you are going to that track, drop a pm, & if I can make it I'll say hi. Maybe pick up some tips from you, I can use all the help I can get.
I always love to catch up with people at the track - especially 5th gen guys! I'll try to remember to shoot a PM next time I make it out. Really not sure when that'll be, I don't expect this year. Where are you from, we can always catch a bite to eat somewhere.

Sounds like you got the pass you were looking for, that's awesome. What's the setup on your car? What color was it? I think I remember a black ZL1, a white 6th gen, and maybe a white 5th gen. I didn't get to actually watch too much, I said pretty busy in the lanes or pits other than a break to eat a $9 cheeseburger. It was pretty yummy!
Old 09-28-2023, 05:55 AM   #8
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Andrew, you will get that 10! I am disappointed that I missed that night, was really looking forward to it!
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 06:08 AM   #9
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Andrew, you will get that 10! I am disappointed that I missed that night, was really looking forward to it!
We gotta get your car down there. If there ever was a true full weight car with a heck of an NA bullet to get the job done, it's yours!
Old 09-28-2023, 06:45 AM   #10
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
This summer was hectic. It seemed like every weekend was tied up & no time for the car. If I can get the solid cradle bushings, Truetrac & 3.91 setup in maybe there will be time to get it to your secret lab before winter!!!
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:55 PM   #11
roh

Quote:
I always love to catch up with people at the track - especially 5th gen guys! I'll try to remember to shoot a PM next time I make it out. Really not sure when that'll be, I don't expect this year. Where are you from, we can always catch a bite to eat somewhere.

Sounds like you got the pass you were looking for, that's awesome. What's the setup on your car? What color was it? I think I remember a black ZL1, a white 6th gen, and maybe a white 5th gen. I didn't get to actually watch too much, I said pretty busy in the lanes or pits other than a break to eat a $9 cheeseburger. It was pretty yummy!
Yes, I was the black ZL1. Pretty mild so far, I just have 2.55 pulley & headers. Recently bought a chiller, but haven't installed it yet. Considering e85.

I'm about an hour west of that track, so the wrong direction to you, but maybe next year we can meet up there. Love that track.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:36 AM   #12
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Yes, I was the black ZL1. Pretty mild so far, I just have 2.55 pulley & headers. Recently bought a chiller, but haven't installed it yet. Considering e85.

I'm about an hour west of that track, so the wrong direction to you, but maybe next year we can meet up there. Love that track.
Sounds like you've got some fun parts going on - the interchiller is a game-changer for thermally challenged PD blower motors like the LSA, especially for situations like the drag strip where you've got to idle some in the lanes.

When it's time for a cam, feel free to reach out, we've got a bunch of good options for the LSA here at GPI.

If you ever get out towards Syracuse, give me a shout. I'll do the same if I'm headed west. We'll catch up eventually!
Old 10-02-2023, 07:26 PM   #13
roh

Quote:
Sounds like you've got some fun parts going on - the interchiller is a game-changer for thermally challenged PD blower motors like the LSA, especially for situations like the drag strip where you've got to idle some in the lanes.

When it's time for a cam, feel free to reach out, we've got a bunch of good options for the LSA here at GPI.

If you ever get out towards Syracuse, give me a shout. I'll do the same if I'm headed west. We'll catch up eventually!
Thanks, will do. Waiting to see what the state does with the new inspection hardware before I consider a cam. Hoping we're not following California.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:18 AM   #14
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Thanks, will do. Waiting to see what the state does with the new inspection hardware before I consider a cam. Hoping we're not following California.
I didn't know changes were coming. You got a link with some info? Very much interested to learn more. Might be time for that Montana registration.