Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-13-2024, 08:24 AM   #1
scottm078

Drives: 2013 Camaro ss 1le
Street cam recommendations

Looking for a cam recommendation. I have a 2013 ss 1LE with a 6 speed, LTH and intake. I’d like a fun cam for a daily driver /street only. I’d like a smoothish idle. Don’t really care about peak numbers.

I’m looking at 2 different ones at the moment.

Sum-8715r1 as recommended by Brian nutter from summit
222/234 115+3 .600/.575

Or a custom from btr
217/243 114 .636/.629

The summit is cheaper and I can get away without doing lifters. Plus dyno Steve from dspperfomace can tune it remotely because I bought the sct tuner package

If I go the btr route I’ll get jannettey to tune it but that’s about $400

Goals for the car are to drive and have fun. Possible boost in distant future.
scottm078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 10:10 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I would recommend a GPI SS1 with a email tune from them as well. It's an all around performance cam that would be a great daily driver with a decent amount of power. And since it's their cam they know how to tune it properly.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 02:32 PM   #3
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Street manners are tuning related...... unless you go with some huge donkey dong cam. I have a custom grind cam that's pretty aggressive but the driveability is like stock. When I had the factory clutch my car made 513whp and drove like it was stock.

GPI would probably be the way to go. Buy the package from them and have them remote tune it.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:34 PM   #4
scottm078

Thank you for the suggestion. I put in the order to request them to suggest a custom cam for me almost a month ago. Since im not in a rush it’s no big deal that they haven’t done it yet. I put it in around the holidays so I expected it to take longer than usual. I have heard good things about them as well.
Old 01-14-2024, 02:33 AM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I would go with the factory gm cam/valve springs that are in the 525 hp crate engine. Great power from moderate lift that will be easy on the valve train. Get above .600 lift and you may end up changing valve springs more often than you want to on a street driven vehicle. I have the 495 hp LS3 crate in my C5 Z06 and its cam is also a grate choice for a hobby car. I'd probably upgrade to Caddy lifters (I know, more work and $$$) for reliability. I prefer a good dyno tune with a reputable tuner to build a rapport for future mods. My Vette did 468 hp with 456 ft lbs of torque at the wheels. The LS3 doesn't need much to get into the excitement zone!
Attached Images

Last edited by ariZona28; 01-14-2024 at 02:57 AM.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:30 AM   #6
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Summit cam.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:08 PM   #7
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I would go with the factory gm cam/valve springs that are in the 525 hp crate engine. Great power from moderate lift that will be easy on the valve train. Get above .600 lift and you may end up changing valve springs more often than you want to on a street driven vehicle. I have the 495 hp LS3 crate in my C5 Z06 and its cam is also a grate choice for a hobby car. I'd probably upgrade to Caddy lifters (I know, more work and $$$) for reliability. I prefer a good dyno tune with a reputable tuner to build a rapport for future mods. My Vette did 468 hp with 456 ft lbs of torque at the wheels. The LS3 doesn't need much to get into the excitement zone!
That's a good option.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:17 PM   #8
ss camaro-monte

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss, 87 monte ss
Smoothish idle?
Are emissions a concern?
Do you care about lope?

I only ask because when some say smooth they don't want heavy lope but others just want a daily drivable cam. You can run some pretty big cams and still be daily drivable.

Out of the two you listed I would go summit.

I run a custom GPI 216 228 118 with high lift and it still lopes a tiny bit but has a very smooth idle and could be driven across the country let alone daily driver and still makes amazing power. Most have to ask if it is cammed but most hot rod guys can definitely tell it has something not stock if they have ever been around a 5th gen.

I would say 216-224 intake and 224-236 exhaust duration would be good with 114-118 lope seperation depending on what you want. Also, you don't have to but 114 or more lobe seperation is common on a boost cam.

I was in a similar want as you. I asked GPI for the same criteria as you with possible boost in future but I specifically said no lope or shake. You can hear the lope in my exhaust a little but the motor doesn't lope very much at all. Smooth no shake.lol

But out of those 2 the summit is the one I would pick but I would personally want more lift but I am sure that cam which I think might be what they call the ghost cam at summit will be good. Make no mistake though that summit cam will lope some.
ss camaro-monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:04 PM   #9
scottm078

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss camaro-monte View Post
Smoothish idle?
Are emissions a concern?
Do you care about lope?

I only ask because when some say smooth they don't want heavy lope but others just want a daily drivable cam. You can run some pretty big cams and still be daily drivable.

Out of the two you listed I would go summit.

I run a custom GPI 216 228 118 with high lift and it still lopes a tiny bit but has a very smooth idle and could be driven across the country let alone daily driver and still makes amazing power. Most have to ask if it is cammed but most hot rod guys can definitely tell it has something not stock if they have ever been around a 5th gen.

I would say 216-224 intake and 224-236 exhaust duration would be good with 114-118 lope seperation depending on what you want. Also, you don't have to but 114 or more lobe seperation is common on a boost cam.

I was in a similar want as you. I asked GPI for the same criteria as you with possible boost in future but I specifically said no lope or shake. You can hear the lope in my exhaust a little but the motor doesn't lope very much at all. Smooth no shake.lol

But out of those 2 the summit is the one I would pick but I would personally want more lift but I am sure that cam which I think might be what they call the ghost cam at summit will be good. Make no mistake though that summit cam will lope some.

Thank you for the suggestion. I’m ok with a little chop just don’t want anything crazy. For emissions it’s only the plug in kind. As long as the car says it’s good it will pass.

I will most likely go with the summit cam. Brian Nutter seems to know what he’s talking about. I know btr and gpi are awesome as well but my budget is saying summit..lol
Old 01-16-2024, 08:12 AM   #10
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm078 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I put in the order to request them to suggest a custom cam for me almost a month ago. Since im not in a rush it’s no big deal that they haven’t done it yet. I put it in around the holidays so I expected it to take longer than usual. I have heard good things about them as well.
It shouldn't take more than a week. If you would, shoot me your order number (email below) and I'll dig into this and get back with you directly. We should have a few good "off the shelf" options that fit the needs you're describing pretty well, but if you ordered custom specs, we owe those to you, and within a reasonable time.

Email andrew@gwatneyperformance.com
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote