Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2023, 04:15 PM   #15
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
Aaaand now I'm looking at torque coverters, gonna blame all of you guys, the fruits on my money tree need some time to ripen, they're getting over picked.

So does changing the torque converter mess with how the gears are set electronically, would I be able to just plop it in or would I need to get it tuned so I don't damage the gearbox. End goal is a stage 2 vvt cam but I'm thinking in long term due to costs for all this stuff, so tune would happen eventually just maybe a year or two after the torque converter.
Yes you would want to get a really good tuner. I would use a remote tuner though because they have more time to adjust things correctly then a dyno tuner. You will also need a good transmission cooler as well.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:21 PM   #16
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
That was exactly the result I had at the track...

Rarely does anyone do it in this order when adding a cam but the installs are two completely different operations so why not check out the stall 1st with stock cam instead of waiting until you "have" to do it.
Agreed. Bo White and a couple other guys have said the same when folks are looking for a budget friendly performance mod. Do a stall first, then if you need more, a gear swap. This way if you are going to do a cam swap in the near future, you're all set with a stall. At least a 3200 which is good they say for a stock Camaro. Wish I knew that when I first started modding. I never did a gear swap on mine as I didn't feel the need to do so. The way she runs now with the 4500 and gets off the line from a dead stop, and from a 45 or 50 mph roll is absolutely astonishing and amazing!! The reason I didn't do the gear is I cruise a lot and just didn't want to be turning the extra RPM's.. Plus my solid cradle mounts and 1 pc DS adds a ton of instant gratification.
Old 10-30-2023, 05:25 PM   #17
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Yes you would want to get a really good tuner. I would use a remote tuner though because they have more time to adjust things correctly then a dyno tuner. You will also need a good transmission cooler as well.
^^^ Exactly what joe said. My tuner when we did the dyno tune, and when I went back to have the tune adjusted for the 4500 from the 3200, also did a street tune with the trans to make sure all was functioning well as it should. And yep, a good trans cooler IS a must!!
Old 10-30-2023, 06:35 PM   #18
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Ah okay, after reading this thread I was thinking of maybe changing plans to be:

Torque converter->trans support mods(cooler, deeper pan)->cam with supporting mods and tune

But if the torque converter is going to need a tune and transmission support mods regardless it might just be worth it to take like a week of vacation time and pull the engine to do it all at once, less downtime and less tunes, granted I'm probably at least a year away from being able to financially justify it all, so learning and planning is what I got going now
Old 10-30-2023, 07:15 PM   #19
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Ah okay, after reading this thread I was thinking of maybe changing plans to be:

Torque converter->trans support mods(cooler, deeper pan)->cam with supporting mods and tune

But if the torque converter is going to need a tune and transmission support mods regardless it might just be worth it to take like a week of vacation time and pull the engine to do it all at once, less downtime and less tunes, granted I'm probably at least a year away from being able to financially justify it all, so learning and planning is what I got going now
Usually you can find a good remote tuner for around $300 and after any upgrades some will do it for an extra $150. I know a really good remote tuner that has done some amazing tunes with our cars if you want his info? So not too bad.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:46 AM   #20
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Usually you can find a good remote tuner for around $300 and after any upgrades some will do it for an extra $150. I know a really good remote tuner that has done some amazing tunes with our cars if you want his info? So not too bad.
I keep hearing good things about Dyno Steve and him doing updates free so I was thinking of going that route, my biggest concern is downtime, the car is still my daily, while I can harass my friend with a lift to let me use it and get the torque converter knocked out in a weekend, I'm guessing there are probably few weekdays involved in having it run well, and I can take some days off or find a car to borrow but obviously I wanna minimize that. It kinda sucks and I have money saved up for a second car right now I just don't have anywhere to park it, looking at maybe getting that fixed this coming summer but not getting hopes up.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:23 PM   #21
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
I keep hearing good things about Dyno Steve and him doing updates free so I was thinking of going that route, my biggest concern is downtime, the car is still my daily, while I can harass my friend with a lift to let me use it and get the torque converter knocked out in a weekend, I'm guessing there are probably few weekdays involved in having it run well, and I can take some days off or find a car to borrow but obviously I wanna minimize that. It kinda sucks and I have money saved up for a second car right now I just don't have anywhere to park it, looking at maybe getting that fixed this coming summer but not getting hopes up.
Might want to research that some more. Steve doesn’t seem to be very good these days.

I would go with GPI personally
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:54 AM   #22
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Cam Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
So true! I watched a video on YT by one of the converter manufacturers, can't remember which one it was, but on the bone stock 2010 Camaro they tested with a 3200 stall, they were able to knock 0.5 tenths off the ET. That's pretty cool!
What is the Lobe Separation on the cam you picked.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:11 AM   #23
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Phastek View Post
What is the Lobe Separation on the cam you picked.
All the info is in my sig.... TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT
Old 11-02-2023, 03:19 PM   #24
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
All the info is in my sig.... TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT
Sorry, I missed that. Thank you.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #25
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
My 1st mod was a stall and trans cooler. I went with a 3600 single disc with the stock cam. It was a night and day difference. My combo has changed quite a bit since then.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote