Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Nghtshd88

Drives: 13' Camaro LT
Heater Blend Door Hack

So my blend door broke of course. Trying the hack to replace it and cant get the piece you have to cut out off. Am I missing something or is 2013 different??
Attached Images

Nghtshd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i think you over did it a little. this is the best video i found.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
If i ever need to do this, Im going to do a complete write up of how to pull the dash the correct way to do this repair. I see far too many of these post of people struggling to do this.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
lemontwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
If i ever need to do this, Im going to do a complete write up of how to pull the dash the correct way to do this repair. I see far too many of these post of people struggling to do this.
i did pull the dash i replaced my heater core it was leaking and i did my blend door while i was in there, my blend door was fine.i didn't have to remove the windshield i found a hack to get around that but the dash removal and replacement took like 12 hours with practice i could get it down to 8, but who wants to practice at that ??? i worked at a pontiac dealer as a tech an have pulled more dashes than i can remember and they ALL SUCK. if a camaro dash is you first it a lot to swallow but if you are determined and want to save 2k it's doable.
i guess i should have done a sticky but the info is out there i found it and posted links.
if all i had to do was the blend door i would NOT pull the dash! you can fix that in about a hour if you go off the video link i posted.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #5
G8One2

Ive pulled and installed many dashboards out of Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles in a manufacturer plant environment. They are all generally the same with some minor differences. Disassembling the dash in pieces is the wrong way to do it. It comes out as an assembly, the exact same way the plant installs it. If you know what your doing, it comes out fairly easy, WITH the bar and not removing the windshield (idk who the **** come up with that idea). The assembly plant does not assemble dash pieces in the car. There is no need to remove the dash pad, the radio or even the glove box. Think dash assembly, not dash pieces.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i think you over did it a little. this is the best video i found.
Go to around 5:20 into this GREAT DIY video. The guy says it was difficult to get the cut piece out. He mentions about having to make a little deeper cut (doesn't really show where but based on what he said I think it’s along the bottom left based on what looks like some kind of slot when he turned the cut out piece over. He then mentions getting a screw driver to pry out the top UNCUT portion which looks like it has slot and groove fitting that needs to be pried apart from the main enclosure. Post back. Good luck

Last edited by camguynj; 01-11-2020 at 10:12 AM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:18 AM   #7
lemontwist

Quote:
Ive pulled and installed many dashboards out of Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles in a manufacturer plant environment. They are all generally the same with some minor differences. Disassembling the dash in pieces is the wrong way to do it. It comes out as an assembly, the exact same way the plant installs it. If you know what your doing, it comes out fairly easy, WITH the bar and not removing the windshield (idk who the **** come up with that idea). The assembly plant does not assemble dash pieces in the car. There is no need to remove the dash pad, the radio or even the glove box. Think dash assembly, not dash pieces.
REALLY??? have you had a camaro dash out?? i have and i'm calling BS on that. there are 2 long bolts that go in from the top at the base of the windshield i didn't pull it but i can see why some think you have to. it may have gone in as modules with robots doing the heavy lifting but you are not pulling that dash out as a assembly especially without pulling the windshield.building a car on a assembly line and working on one in a garage are two different things. if you can pull it without removing the windshield as a assembly in a garage or driveway and document it i'll give you my car,and that is no BS!
these were the most helpful links i found.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/int...fth-gen-camaro

in the video below of this post goto 1:25 and start watching

Old 01-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
Tony Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LS
Man, that's really shitty that it costs a couple thousand to get to and replace a $15 part. Does this problem extend to other years and models?
Tony Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Ammo_Don

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
I was wondering about this the other day when it got chilly in FL. If I never turn it to heat would this ever happen? There is something motorized that opens/closes after the car is turned off for a few minutes.... Is it this door or a different one?
Ammo_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
G8One2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
REALLY??? have you had a camaro dash out?? i have and i'm calling BS on that. there are 2 long bolts that go in from the top at the base of the windshield i didn't pull it but i can see why some think you have to. it may have gone in as modules with robots doing the heavy lifting but you are not pulling that dash out as a assembly especially without pulling the windshield.building a car on a assembly line and working on one in a garage are two different things. if you can pull it without removing the windshield as a assembly in a garage or driveway and document it i'll give you my car,and that is no BS!
these were the most helpful links i found.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/int...fth-gen-camaro

in the video below of this post goto 1:25 and start watching

Not going to argue with you bro. You do you. Your car. More power to you bro.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Those videos are poor at best, better than nothing but surly not a good guide. Now I've had many dashes removed for repairs. I have to say GM really took their time to try and discourage anyone from attempting any repairs to the HVAC system. Another huge sign is the expansion valve used to meter the refrigerant. Modern cars don't use such a unreliable part unless they want lots of service work.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
What's the correct way? Pulling the front windshield to access the long bolts?

I'm not pulling the front windshield if I can help it. Yeah, if I get a crack or a major rock chip on the highway, then you have to replace it. However, having to replace a perfectly fine $400+ OEM factory windshield for a $15 dollar blend door part is stupid crazy.

I'd rather just take apart the dash. Just my opinion.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Is the new replacement door of the same quality as the original or has it been beefed up in stress area? Also is there a way to prevent door from breaking or is this inevitable? I don't use my heat too much in AZ but it still gets used in chilly winter months.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #14
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
i'm going to not touch my settings from now lol..just leave them alone.
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote