Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
DBHWT

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Clay bars

If you get the same grit, are all clay bars about the same in quality / manufacturer ? Wide difference in price on some
DBHWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
From what "junkman" on Youtube says. Yes. He knows his stuff about detailing.
swampcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
All my friends who want help, I've always had them purchase their own clay to bring over. Pretty secure in the Meguire or mother's $20 box sets
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
denboy1

Drives: 2014 2ss Convertible
I'd say they could be all the same. But...I used Adam's for the Camaro and old clay bars for the daily drivers.
denboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
Cyber/Orange10
Cyber/orange10

Drives: 2010 2SS 96 CE LT4, 12 CRUZE ECO
Send a message via AIM to Cyber/Orange10
Been using Griot's Garage's clay for years on all our cars and works great.
Cyber/Orange10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I've used Meguiars, mothers, and Eagle F1. The Eagle f1 is a "reusable" mitt. They all have worked great and did their intended job. With that said, I don't think there is much difference in them that would justify a large price difference. I have always applied some type of polish after claying.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:09 AM   #7
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
swampcritter, what's the date of the Junkman video you're referring to regarding clays all being the same?

Prior to sometime in 2014 the Auto Magic Company held the patent for all Detailing Clay, and according to Wikipedia 9 out of 10 Clay bars available were manufactured by Auto Magic.

Since then, there have been many different types and styles of Clays becoming available for auto detailing use. I personally like to use the Adam's Visco Elastic Clay with the Geometric Impression tool. The block/bar styles of clays are still available, as are the Clay Mitts and Cloths. Auto Magic still manufactures private label Clay Bars under all sorts of brand names, but many more have become available.

Oh, and Black_SS10, polish is worked, common misuse of the wording. Protection; Glazes, Waxes, Sealants, and now Coatings are applied. Claying the vehicles surface will remove all protection from the paint except Ceramic Coatings, and it's a good idea to reapply a layer of protection after claying. If the clay is aggressive, or was the individual that worked the clay, polishing the paint may be necessary to remove any marring induced by the clay.

All that being said, pick one at a price point you're comfortable with, and try several to find the type/style you like. It's personal preference any more.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:21 AM   #8
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
All my friends who want help, I've always had them purchase their own clay to bring over. Pretty secure in the Meguire or mother's $20 box sets
I always liked Meguires products. especially their detail wax I use between paste wax applications.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
swampcritter, what's the date of the Junkman video you're referring to regarding clays all being the same?

Prior to sometime in 2014 the Auto Magic Company held the patent for all Detailing Clay, and according to Wikipedia 9 out of 10 Clay bars available were manufactured by Auto Magic.

Since then, there have been many different types and styles of Clays becoming available for auto detailing use. I personally like to use the Adam's Visco Elastic Clay with the Geometric Impression tool. The block/bar styles of clays are still available, as are the Clay Mitts and Cloths. Auto Magic still manufactures private label Clay Bars under all sorts of brand names, but many more have become available.

Oh, and Black_SS10, polish is worked, common misuse of the wording. Protection; Glazes, Waxes, Sealants, and now Coatings are applied. Claying the vehicles surface will remove all protection from the paint except Ceramic Coatings, and it's a good idea to reapply a layer of protection after claying. If the clay is aggressive, or was the individual that worked the clay, polishing the paint may be necessary to remove any marring induced by the clay.

All that being said, pick one at a price point you're comfortable with, and try several to find the type/style you like. It's personal preference any more.
I've used MeGuiars & Adams - they are definitely different
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
All clay bars are similar here are some details on our New Fine Clay.

-Super Soft, Ultra Fine Grade Material
-Removes light contamination and grime with ease
-Two (2) 100-Gram Bars
-Safely removes fallout, brake dust, hard water spots, or tree sap
-Flexible enough for tight spots, durable enough for repeated use
-Maximize look and feel of your sealants, waxes, and coatings
-Perfect for glass, polished metal, clear plastics, or painted surfaces!

https://youtu.be/eL4Arz_RZOA
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Clay bars have become for the most part obsolete. The only instance where you would still use one is on very soft paint. A Clay alternative is so much better. Use fine grade.

The benefits are......
No kneading.
No pressure required to remove bonded contaminates.
If you drop it on the ground accidentally.... you just rinse it with warm water, instead of throwing it away like clay.
It takes less than 1/2 the time a standard clay bar does to do a car.
The durability blows away standard clay. The SM Arnold Speedy Prep Towel will last up to 100 uses (I have about 60 on mine and it still performs as new).

5th gen Camaro's tend to have medium hardness paint. So a fine grade clay alternative works great without marring the surface.
Don't use an expensive detail spray for clay lube. Use Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate, or Optimum No Rinse and save $$.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Don't use an expensive detail spray for clay lube. Use Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate, or Optimum No Rinse and save $$.
I have a gallon of the waterless wash, easy to make and a huge savings!

I’m with Joe, don’t use clay bars anymore, Speedys for me...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 03-20-2019 at 06:38 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
I use Mothers and Megs. Both are good enough and readily available.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:58 AM   #14
broshua

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Clay bars have become for the most part obsolete. The only instance where you would still use one is on very soft paint. A Clay alternative is so much better. Use fine grade.

The benefits are......
No kneading.
No pressure required to remove bonded contaminates.
If you drop it on the ground accidentally.... you just rinse it with warm water, instead of throwing it away like clay.
It takes less than 1/2 the time a standard clay bar does to do a car.
The durability blows away standard clay. The SM Arnold Speedy Prep Towel will last up to 100 uses (I have about 60 on mine and it still performs as new).

5th gen Camaro's tend to have medium hardness paint. So a fine grade clay alternative works great without marring the surface.
Do you happen to have a link to a good alternative to clay?
broshua is offline   Reply With Quote