Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #85
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS

That's it! No need to remove the radio! Stop telling this man to remove the
radio!

I have given complete instructions, using a PDF, so there's no confusion,
and no need to keep repeating it.

The HVAC panel IS NOT the radio! It controls the radio and HVAC, but it IS NOT
the radio.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #86
denboy1

Drives: 2014 2ss Convertible
Thanks guys, think I'll take a look at this before it comes out this spring.
denboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #87
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Since I hardly ever use the heat function on the temperature control knob, I wonder if there's a way to gut or modify the inside of the actuator motor to have it permanently set on the cold setting? If you did this though, you'd probably want to buy another "working" actuator so you can switch them out if you ever needed heat.

For this to work, you take the original actuator, or the new one (doesn't matter), and take it apart and permanently fix it internally on the cold setting. That way, the actuator motor is not turning against the blend door causing the torque stress on the hex side fitting which breaks the plastic on the blend door.

Unless the control module has a feedback loop in the CanBus system that would make this impossible, I'm thinking this could be another option to pulling the HVAC fuse or placing an inline power cut out switch on the actuator control circuit. It's a brute force way, but sometimes that works just as good.

Last edited by mikeman; 01-22-2020 at 02:59 PM.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #88
GuyWhoDoesStuff

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Ive pulled and installed many dashboards out of Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles in a manufacturer plant environment. They are all generally the same with some minor differences. Disassembling the dash in pieces is the wrong way to do it. It comes out as an assembly, the exact same way the plant installs it. If you know what your doing, it comes out fairly easy, WITH the bar and not removing the windshield (idk who the **** come up with that idea). The assembly plant does not assemble dash pieces in the car. There is no need to remove the dash pad, the radio or even the glove box. Think dash assembly, not dash pieces.
You are only partially correct. In the case of 5th gen Camaro, the factory assembly process places and secures the dash assembly BEFORE the windshield is installed. Thus, the windshield must be removed or the bolts cut down to remove the dash assembly.
GuyWhoDoesStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #89
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post

radio!

the radio.
Eh I'm pretty sure they would understand what I meant by radio by the time they get to that point.

Also I think the car can be adjusted/programmed for the A/C settings, though it may still have the same problem. On my car I can definitely hear the blend door stressing if I put it on full cold, don't hear anything for the heat side. Maybe just the last 2 clicks that don't do anything but break the blend door
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #90
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post

radio!

the radio.
I told him to do the exact same thing you did but without all the pictures.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #91
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
I told him to do the exact same thing you did but without all the pictures.
That was yesterday at 7:32PM

I posted it Yesterday at 6:52PM
I also gave the link for the PDF that has all that information in it.

You repeated later, what I posted 40 minutes earlier.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #92
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Since I hardly ever use the heat function on the temperature control knob, I wonder if there's a way to gut or modify the inside of the actuator motor to have it permanently set on the cold setting? If you did this though, you'd probably want to buy another "working" actuator so you can switch them out if you ever needed heat.

For this to work, you take the original actuator, or the new one (doesn't matter), and take it apart and permanently fix it internally on the cold setting. That way, the actuator motor is not turning against the blend door causing the torque stress on the hex side fitting which breaks the plastic on the blend door.

Unless the control module has a feedback loop in the CanBus system that would make this impossible, I'm thinking this could be another option to pulling the HVAC fuse or placing an inline power cut out switch on the actuator control circuit. It's a brute force way, but sometimes that works just as good.

That's why I am thinking of setting a hard limit at the dial.

You can always splice in a switch, in the power lead to the actuator.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #93
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Yep, brought it back.
I have been working steady and no time to get into the car for a look but i will tonight.

After watching the video i'm wondering if a fella were to leave the actuator screws out wouldn't that be enough to keep the actuator from over stressing the door hinge?
Or would it lose position?
If it doesn't lose position i would add a non binding strap to it to keep from working itself out/off.
Just bouncing an idea around.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #94
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
My blend door is starting to make crunching sound when you start or shut off the car.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #95
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i have tried to help a few people with this. that video shows that you can cut off the bottom of the long bolts and that allows you to remove them with the windshield in the car i have been there and done it works like a charm i used a air saw not a grinder. youtube can be helpful or hurt.
i didn't mean to start a argument with GR8one so this is my last post on the subject from here out it will be my little secret.
Thank you for all the useful information. I own a 2014 convertible and have ZERO problems, however; if I ever had a problem with the blend door your only a few hours away! Again, thank you. Larry
Old 02-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #96
BumbleBee3
Roll Out

Drives: 2012 2SS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
Anyone ever replace theirs, only to have it break a second time?
I'm in this spot right now. Had it replaced 3 years ago Dealer gives a 2 year warranty go figure. I'm looking to just do it myself, got the replacement part off amazon for $15 dealer wanted $2500 for the work, and local Mechanic shop wanted $1800.

BumbleBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #97
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee3 View Post
I'm in this spot right now. Had it replaced 3 years ago Dealer gives a 2 year warranty go figure. I'm looking to just do it myself, got the replacement part off amazon for $15 dealer wanted $2500 for the work, and local Mechanic shop wanted $1800.
I have this issue as well. I wonder if anyone has attempted this from the passenger side?

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #98
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i have tried to help a few people with this. that video shows that you can cut off the bottom of the long bolts and that allows you to remove them with the windshield in the car i have been there and done it works like a charm i used a air saw not a grinder. youtube can be helpful or hurt.
i didn't mean to start a argument with GR8one so this is my last post on the subject from here out it will be my little secret.
Just curious that if you had to replace just the blend door would you take the dash out approach or the blend door hack?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote