Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
josephs8

Drives: 2011 Yellow 2LT RS Camaro
Selling my ZL1

It’s been a fun time, but I recently got a 1969 Camaro SS that I am going to restore. My ZL1 is a 2013 Red and is in pristine condition, it has never seen snow/salt and very light rain. It has no scratches, scuffs or dents, and only has 18,000 miles on it. No mechanical service has ever been done on the car and it has only had Shell gasoline and an Oil change at a Chevy dealer every year. The car is completely paid off at this point.

I was looking at trading it in to get my wife a new car as I have a daily driver I already use that isn’t very old. The value I got for a trade in offer was $30,200. Which is the median for “Good” condition on KBB.

My question to you guys is, is it worth it to try and sell the car myself and get the extra money out of it?

I haven’t taken it to CarMax yet, I’ve considered that but thought that offer would probably be lower. Are there any other options to consider other than trying to sell it privately or use a service like CarMax?

Or lastly should I just accept the offer and move forward?
josephs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Offers from dealers or Carmax will be way low. I would advise trying to sell it privately on autotrader or Craigslist and get more money. It's worth the minimal work you have to do.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
josephs8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
Offers from dealers or Carmax will be way low. I would advise trying to sell it privately on autotrader or Craigslist and get more money. It's worth the minimal work you have to do.
I’ve never sold a car privately, so I wasn’t sure how much work was really involved. My other concern was that it was winter and it may be harder to move a sports in Winter.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
It doesn't take long to get an estimate from Carmax, you may want to see what they'll pay to get an idea of the low offer.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
denboy1

Drives: 2014 2ss Convertible
I think it would require a tow truck to move it to the new owner in the winter. I haven't sold a car there but we did sell a lot of household items on Facebook Marketplace and what was unique about that is you can check out the profiles of people to verify they're not Nigerian.
denboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Damn..30k for a pristine 580HP ZL1? I almost want to buy a second for that price..Have you thought this through? There are days I think I should sell mine, but then I start it up and all of those thoughts disappear.

I would wait until spring and try listing it then. I think 34k would be the minimum you should take. However, that will require patience. I have sold a few cars privately. Craigslist can be helpful, but a pain in the a** with all the spam and low ballers..AutoTrader is another one I have used.

do you foresee yourself needing another vehicle for any one in your family anytime soon? Don't forget when you trade in you get the tax benefit as not having to pay tax on that part of your car. Not sure what the tax rates are in your state, but that can be significant also. If your tax rate is 7%, and you get 30k for trade in, you net 32,100.00 off of your new vehicle price.

good luck
Old 12-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
Pasz56

Drives: 2010 2SS
Any Pics
Pasz56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
josephs8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
Damn..30k for a pristine 580HP ZL1? I almost want to buy a second for that price..Have you thought this through? There are days I think I should sell mine, but then I start it up and all of those thoughts disappear.

I would wait until spring and try listing it then. I think 34k would be the minimum you should take. However, that will require patience. I have sold a few cars privately. Craigslist can be helpful, but a pain in the a** with all the spam and low ballers..AutoTrader is another one I have used.

do you foresee yourself needing another vehicle for any one in your family anytime soon? Don't forget when you trade in you get the tax benefit as not having to pay tax on that part of your car. Not sure what the tax rates are in your state, but that can be significant also. If your tax rate is 7%, and you get 30k for trade in, you net 32,100.00 off of your new vehicle price.

good luck
Yeah I've thought it through, I just don't have the room to keep the new project car and the ZL1. It would most likely have to stay outside all the time even during the winter since we only have a two car garage unless I find somewhere to store it but thats just another added cost I could put towards the project car. I will miss it for a while, but once I get my '69 up and running I think I'll be just as happy.

As for the trade in, yes I am considering getting my wife a new car as her car is getting up there. That is where I got the original quote from was when we were looking at a new car for her. The tax rate here in Michigan is 6%, so yeah I could still see some substantial tax savings if I trade it in, but not would get me to 34K.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
josephs8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasz56 View Post
Any Pics
I'll take/post some later when I get home tonight.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #10

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
Don't sell it to Carmax, your just funding a big corporation pockets. I bet there are a-lot hard core Camaro fans out there that are looking for a 5 gen.

In a private sale you might get more money out of, but it might take more time. Also 30k is a bit low, I would raise the price to 37k because its all about negotiation on a private sale.

I have sold few cars on Craigslist and its really not that complicated. You just got to put up with the spam and low ballers. Once you have a buyer, have them go to the bank with you and deposit the cash into one of your account. Finally had them the notarized title and give them a bill of sale.

If you have the room in your stable keep the ZL1.
Good Luck
Old 12-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #11
Pogoattack84
Shred Till I'm Dead

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Summit White
That's way too low, I would surely get a few more offers before settling. Don't go by what KBB says anyways unless you have access to the dealer version because it will always be higher than it should. Just start high and haggle with your sales person for the most you can get for the trade, that car is pretty tough to find in that condition with those low miles.

Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Stainless Works 3" Exhaust, 1-7/8" Stainless Works LT Headers, 2.55 Griptec Upper, Metco Damper, 9.1" Metco Lower Ring, Metco Solid Isolator, Metco Idler Relocation Bracket/50mm Idler, Texas Speed Heads/Pushrods/Springs/Retainers/SS Valves/Custom Grind Cam, ARP Bolt Kit, DMS Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit With Flex Fuel Sensor, ID1300 Injectors, Lingenfelter Dual Fan HX, Lingenfelter 160 Degree Thermostat, DMS Expansion Tank

Tuned By Matt at Dedicated Motorsports - 750whp on E85 - Mainline Hub Dyno
Pogoattack84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephs8 View Post
My question to you guys is, is it worth it to try and sell the car myself and get the extra money out of it?

I haven’t taken it to CarMax yet, I’ve considered that but thought that offer would probably be lower. Are there any other options to consider other than trying to sell it privately or use a service like CarMax?
Try vroom.com

They will give you an offer without leaving your house.

The 5th Gen ZL1 market is soft.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #13
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post

The 5th Gen ZL1 market is soft.
That's true. I've been looking at a lot of cars on the market nationally right now while I'm working through my insurance claim. 2014's with 20k miles are listed at 35-37 right now, unfortunately, and 2013's are a little lower.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
In for the pics!

(free bump)